Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Axis 25.1
State: Maine
THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmblaster View Post
Doug
so you bypassed the radios monitor and only use the large one on your dash and does it get triggered by reverse or turn signals or is it always on

richard
I bypassed the radio for the back up monitor only, the turn signal cameras are still activated by the turn signals and still display on the radio. That way while changing lanes I can use both available views. The rear view monitor and camera are triggered only by the new switch whichI leave on 100% of the time I'm driving.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: California
THOR #3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlamoreaux View Post
I bypassed the radio for the back up monitor only, the turn signal cameras are still activated by the turn signals and still display on the radio. That way while changing lanes I can use both available views. The rear view monitor and camera are triggered only by the new switch whichI leave on 100% of the time I'm driving.
Doug got it and i like the way it works now ill have to go looking for the box

Thanks
Richard
Old 05-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #23

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmblaster View Post
Doug got it and i like the way it works now ill have to go looking for the box

Thanks
Richard
Here is a photo of what it looks like (silver box on the right) PS the photo is upside down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera box.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	4793  
Old 05-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #24

THOR #3986
Front Table Storage

I always hated not having a place for the front table when is wasn't in use (which is most of the time) so I went hunting for a place to put it and this is what I came up with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front Table Storage.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	4913  
Old 05-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #25

Model: Axis
THOR #7294
Quote:
I always hated not having a place for the front table when is wasn't in use (which is most of the time) so I went hunting for a place to put it and this is what I came up with.

This is a great modification. Was it easy to install? I could see adding this update as well maybe with sleeves on the other dinette table for the post stand.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #26

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Making Journeys View Post
This is a great modification. Was it easy to install? I could see adding this update as well maybe with sleeves on the other dinette table for the post stand.
Yes this mod is super simple, I used 2 pieces of scrap wood screwed together to form an "L" shape, then rounded the sharp edges with a sander and covered in cheap vinyl. To install them I drilled 2 holes and screwed each block to the back of the bench seat. That is all there is to it. I agree I still need to find a place to mount the post.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #27

Model: Axis
THOR #7294
Thx I'm will put that on my to do list of modification
Old 05-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #28

THOR #3986
Additional speakers and rear view mirror

We have always hated the radio in our axis (but that is another story) but our main problem was in order to actually hear it the volume level has to be cranked way up. I thought most of the problem was with the location of the speakers, they basically point at your legs not your ears. This is fine for base but there really needs to be other speakers to round out the sound. My first thought was a dash mounted speaker but this proved to be difficult for a few reasons. So I started to search for another location. I ended up locating them behind the rear view mirror. This worked out very well and not we can listen to the radio at 10-12 volume numbers lower than we use to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	overhead speakers.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	4958   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearview.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	4959  

Old 05-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #29

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #5936
Quote:
We have always hated the radio in our axis (but that is another story) but our main problem was in order to actually hear it the volume level has to be cranked way up. I thought most of the problem was with the location of the speakers, they basically point at your legs not your ears. This is fine for base but there really needs to be other speakers to round out the sound. My first thought was a dash mounted speaker but this proved to be difficult for a few reasons. So I started to search for another location. I ended up locating them behind the rear view mirror. This worked out very well and not we can listen to the radio at 10-12 volume numbers lower than we use to.

Did the rear view mirror come with your RV?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #30

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by INKBLUE12 View Post
Did the rear view mirror come with your RV?
No, it is a baby mirror designed to go on the back seat of the car so the parents can see a rear facing child while looking in a rear view mirror. I bought it on amazon (#1 Back Seat Mirror - Baby & Mom Rear View Baby Mirror $15.79) . I built a small wooden mount that clamps to the trim piece for the front shade to secure it to. The overhead bunk just squeaks by the mirror as you lower it.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:41 AM   #31

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Front TV Upgrade Query

Front TV Upgrades:
Added a Full Motion Swivel Articulating mount

You mentioned the above modification for your TV. I am looking for something in the way of a mounting device that will allow me to drop the TV monitor down below where it is above the front door as it hurts my neck and shoulders to have to look up at that angle. They seem to sell such things for TV's mounted over fireplaces but none small enough for a 32" monitor.

Can you say more about the nature of the "full motion swivel articulating mount" that you installed if it does this? If so, how did you manage to install it?

thanks,

karen
karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #32

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask View Post
Front TV Upgrades:

You mentioned the above modification for your TV. I am looking for something in the way of a mounting device that will allow me to drop the TV monitor down below where it is above the front door as it hurts my neck and shoulders to have to look up at that angle. They seem to sell such things for TV's mounted over fireplaces but none small enough for a 32" monitor.

Can you say more about the nature of the "full motion swivel articulating mount" that you installed if it does this? If so, how did you manage to install it?

thanks,

karen

Sorry, "full motion swivel articulating mount" is kind of misleading, that is just what it is called at Amazon. It really is just a standard swing arm type but it does allow you to tip it side to side a little. Take a look at "OmniMount Lift30 Tilt Mount for 27-Inch to 40-Inch Televisions" on amazon. it might work.

Doug
Old 05-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #33

THOR #5936
Quote:
I have done quite a bit to upgrade our 25.1 to make it better suit our family. I have a fairly long write up for each of the items with pictures if anyone would like additional info, but to keep this fairly short I'll just list them here:

Exterior Upgrades:
Added 2 Maxxair II and 1 Maxxair vent covers
Added 2 7" LED backup lights
Added a 25" LED light bar in the front grill
Added 2 6,000# Stabilizing Scissor Jacks to the rear of the coach
Added a Safe-T-Plus steering control
Added an extended stay "T" to the propane system

Driver's compartment Upgrades:
Added an OBD-II Bluetooth adapter connected to a 7" Amazon kindle (dash mounted)for speed and RPM
Added 3 dual USB power outlets
Added a magnetic phone mount
Added a 8"x14" rear view mirror to keep an eye on the kids

Center Console Upgrades:
Built a custom console located below the radio with a shelf, 2 cup holders and a large drawer for maps...
Added a 11" monitor above the radio for a full time backup camera (turn signal cameras are still tied to the radio.)
Added 2 4" speakers built into a little pod that hangs from the overhead.

Passenger Compartment Upgrades:
Raised the cup holder and added an extension to the rear with 2 small plastic trays to hold phone, glasses...
Build a 4" tall 6" wide and 16" long foot stool with a 2" memory foam top covered in a soft matching brown vinyl that slides up under the dash when not in use

Front TV Upgrades:
Added a remote headphone amplifier for the kid's headphones
Added a 600W Pure Sine Wave Inverter to power the TV, Game System, and Blue ray Player.
Added a Winegard RV-WING Wingman White UHF Booster TV Antenna

Dinette Upgrades:
Added a full width and length drawer to the forward bench
Added a door to the aft bench for access
Upgraded the seat belts to shoulder harnesses for the kids.
Built a padded removable "wall" to the end of the bench so my son has something to lean/sleep on while buckled in.
Added 2 cup holders to the end of the table

Kitchen:
Added an under cabinet paper towel holder
Added a key holder (got the idea from another member of this site, thank you) to the cabinet in the entryway.
Added a cross bar to the screen door
Added 4 small LED night lights

Bathroom
Added a curtain that separates the kitchen from the back of the coach
Added a Two Chamber Soap and Shower Dispenser

Other upgrades:
Installed a hardwired EMS between the transfer switch and the coach power system

Sorry for the long post. If anyone would like more info please let me know and I can add it here. I have pictures, where I bought everything with prices.

Can you tell me more 600 watt pure sine inverter and where did you install it? I am trying to decide where or not to add solar to my 2016 Axis 25.2, roof top or roof mounted.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #34

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by INKBLUE12 View Post
Can you tell me more 600 watt pure sine inverter and where did you install it? I am trying to decide where or not to add solar to my 2016 Axis 25.2, roof top or roof mounted.
I bought the inverter on amazon "MicroSolar 12V 600W (Peak 1200W) Pure Sine Wave Inverter - with Remote Wire Controller $99" and I ended up installing it in the cabinet under the sink. It sits just above the sink trap. This location worked well because it kept the power cables from the batteries fairly short. using the heater vent hole right next to the door I ran a 14g flat white extension cord out of the cabinet. Then I was able to loosen the door trim and run the cable behind the trim all the way up to the wooden tv trim panel. From there I ran it into the upper cabinet where I have the blue ray player. I also unplugged the tv and ran that cord into the cabinet. In the cabinet I plugged the tv, game system and blue ray player into a small power strip, that way I can simply move the power cord from the wall outlet if we are hooked to external power or to the extension cord coming from the inverter. I also ran the remote switch out the heater hole and mounted it directly above the vent so I can easily turn it on and off without having to get into the cabinet. I can take some additional pictures this weekend if that would be helpful.

We haven't done a lot of dry camping but this allows us to use the tv while driving without the gen running. We did 4400 miles in 10 days with our 2 kids (7 and 10) and they didn't complain at all.

Doug
Old 05-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #35

THOR #5936
Quote:
I bought the inverter on amazon "MicroSolar 12V 600W (Peak 1200W) Pure Sine Wave Inverter - with Remote Wire Controller $99" and I ended up installing it in the cabinet under the sink. It sits just above the sink trap. This location worked well because it kept the power cables from the batteries fairly short. using the heater vent hole right next to the door I ran a 14g flat white extension cord out of the cabinet. Then I was able to loosen the door trim and run the cable behind the trim all the way up to the wooden tv trim panel. From there I ran it into the upper cabinet where I have the blue ray player. I also unplugged the tv and ran that cord into the cabinet. In the cabinet I plugged the tv, game system and blue ray player into a small power strip, that way I can simply move the power cord from the wall outlet if we are hooked to external power or to the extension cord coming from the inverter. I also ran the remote switch out the heater hole and mounted it directly above the vent so I can easily turn it on and off without having to get into the cabinet. I can take some additional pictures this weekend if that would be helpful.

We haven't done a lot of dry camping but this allows us to use the tv while driving without the gen running. We did 4400 miles in 10 days with our 2 kids (7 and 10) and they didn't complain at all.

Doug

Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #36

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #7188
Axis storage

The compartment under the driver and passenger stretches all the way across the coach, but the hump for the engine leaves a very shallow spot for a sliding tray. So I built a tray to keep my Lynx Levers, all forty of them! The tray can slide out from either side. Gotta optimize ALL the volumn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Storage tray 02 1000x.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	690.3 KB
ID:	5032  
Old 05-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That is a fantastic idea!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 AM   #38

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
40 of 'em!! You must like to camp with the mountain goats! Good for you. Clever storage idea.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #39

Model: 25.3
State: Arkansas
THOR #7127
I'm interested in the seat belts you added at the dinette for the kids. We also added shoulder belts in our 25.3 for the two kids. They work great, except for they seem to want to sag quite a bit when the kids sit up to far with the belt. I have to constantly go back and wiggle the belt back down. Ugh! I hope that makes sense. Maybe you can post a closer up pic of the belts.

The seat belt issue is the number 1 reason we always stayed away from A's. I am a retired EMT/Firefighter and so I am a bit over the top when it comes to safety issues.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #40

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrescue View Post
I'm interested in the seat belts you added at the dinette for the kids. We also added shoulder belts in our 25.3 for the two kids. They work great, except for they seem to want to sag quite a bit when the kids sit up to far with the belt. I have to constantly go back and wiggle the belt back down. Ugh! I hope that makes sense. Maybe you can post a closer up pic of the belts.

The seat belt issue is the number 1 reason we always stayed away from A's. I am a retired EMT/Firefighter and so I am a bit over the top when it comes to safety issues.
We to were surprised on lack of concern for passengers in really any RV. I know they are no way near as save as a normal car but a decent attempt would be nice, even if it were an extra cost option.

I don't have any more pictures at the moment, but the first time I did the install I had the same problem. What I did to allow the belt to retract better was to remove the panel from the back of the seat and using 2 strips of 1/8" plywood I made a 3" wide channel for the belt to run in. Then I reinstalled the panel, this allows the retractor to function correctly and keep the belt snug as they move around.

Does that make sense?

Tags
25.1, axis, mods, upgrades