Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #12035
Question 2018 26 HE solar controller

Where do I find the solar controller on the 26 HE.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2020, 03:12 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Iowa
THOR #4889
I don't believe they were installed as standard equipment until 2019.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:25 PM   #3

State: New Jersey
THOR #12035
2018 Thor Freedom Elite 26 HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiee View Post
I don't believe they were installed as standard equipment until 2019.
thank so much
Old 01-03-2020, 12:51 AM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
2018 Thor Freedom Elite 26 HE

I see in the brochure for this unit that it states it is pre-wired for solar, so I would look where your "electrical centre" is located, should be near the house batteries to minimize losses.

Stay cool
Old 01-03-2020, 01:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I see in the brochure for this unit that it states it is pre-wired for solar, so I would look where your "electrical centre" is located, should be near the house batteries to minimize losses.

Stay cool
Pre-wired does not mean a controller was installed. That was the case on several 2019 models the DW and myself looked at. Pre-wiring simply meant they ran a wire from the roof down to a location for the controller. Normally that location was where there was a sticker or label stating the coach was pre-wired.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:38 AM   #6

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
This was discussed numerous times in the forums you can search for it. but as others have said the wires run to the roof, if you climb up you should see the wires with MC4 connectors on the end. inside the wires are orange and white, and just cut with nothing on the ends. I have a different model but my wires were behind the electric panel (converter/fuse box) lying on the floor.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:31 AM   #7

THOR #16471
Whoa! The OP asked where the controller was and I ass-umed the OP knew there were solar panels on the roof and was just asking where the controller is. Now why would the OP ask where the controller was if there were NO solar panels installed? Or would that have been the next question? "Where are my solar panels installed??"

Do you really think I am that stupid to imply there is a controller w/o any panels? Sheeeesh.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #8

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
This was a common solar question.
I might be wrong but most units up to 2018 where prewired, that was the wires only, no controller, like mine
units 2019 and later included a solar controller with the wires.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
This was a common solar question.

I might be wrong but most units up to 2018 where prewired, that was the wires only, no controller, like mine

units 2019 and later included a solar controller with the wires.

My 2017 Freedom Elite 26HE had no wiring, controller or panels. As an entry level unit I did not expect any and was not disappointed!
Old 01-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #16016
Hi, anyone of you have idea on EPEVER MPPT Charge Controller up to 24V battery voltage? if yes, then please share with pros n cons.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #11

Model: 24FE
State: Virginia
THOR #17509
Looking to add panels

Our 2020 22FE did come prewired with a controller installed. I am now looking to ad panels. Are the connectors on the roof a “standard” design or are they specific to a particular brand ? Also I am considering using 2 90 watt panels vs a single 165 watt panel. Is it possible to get a “y” adaptor ? There are currently 2 female plugs and I am assuming that ea panel will need 2.
I am also trying to decide wether to install myself or pay thr dealer to do it.
Any info on how to diy it would be appreciated..... adhesive vs running screws into my units roof are the concerns. I am seeking the benefit of a do it yourself ears experience please....

Thanx in advance for your views and opinions.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:34 PM   #12

THOR #16471
Quote:
Do you really think I am that stupid to imply there is a controller w/o any panels? Sheeeesh.
NOW I feel really stupid....
But "stupid is" that Thor is installing a controller w/o any panels. An extra expense when not needed, by not knowing the total current output of panels that the owner may install in the future. I dunno.

Stay cool
Old 06-30-2020, 12:02 AM   #13

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
NOW I feel really stupid....
But "stupid is" that Thor is installing a controller w/o any panels. An extra expense when not needed, by not knowing the total current output of panels that the owner may install in the future. I dunno.

Stay cool
LOL... we can be dumb and dummer...then add the dummy that put the panel on my roof..not sure how any of this works,...I hired a solar guy... my 2019 hurricane came pre wired, with a controller..so one would think that all you need to do is plug in the panel and your off and running...not quite, the guy installs a solar panel.... then goes and looks at the controller.... nothing... shows the 12v in the battery,... but no charge....orange and white wires hooked to controller...am I missing a fuse some where??? what else has to happen for this to work...?????
Old 06-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #14

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcam62 View Post
Our 2020 22FE did come prewired with a controller installed. I am now looking to ad panels. Are the connectors on the roof a “standard” design or are they specific to a particular brand ? Also I am considering using 2 90 watt panels vs a single 165 watt panel. Is it possible to get a “y” adaptor ? There are currently 2 female plugs and I am assuming that ea panel will need 2.
I am also trying to decide wether to install myself or pay thr dealer to do it.
Any info on how to diy it would be appreciated..... adhesive vs running screws into my units roof are the concerns. I am seeking the benefit of a do it yourself ears experience please....

Thanx in advance for your views and opinions.
here's a step saver..... make sure the solar panel is 12v...and it can only be 100 watt if it's the 10amp go power... unless you park outside and want to use it for barrry maintaince , 100 watt is pretty much worthless.. I found out the hard way as I installed a 300 watt, and it didn't work... the 300 watt is 24v and won't work with the controller..