Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Angry Weight limit of slide?

Hi, I have a 2015 Challenger 37 GT. I have been looking for a place to put a safe to keep our things secure in while we are traveling. Both for fire and theft. I have changed out the sleeper sofa with theater seating which left about 24" of my 8' slide open.

This would solve several problems, it would give us the safe, a place to put the printer, and storage in front of it, but I was trying to figure out if putting a safe there would be too much weight for the slide system.

The safe I was looking at is about 170 LBS plus contents, (unfortunately no gold bars).

The Kitchen slide is twice as long as the driver side and it has the refrigerator, microwave and stove. Just how much weight can these hold?

The motors and gears for both slides are the same ones so I can't see that the weight would be a motor issue.

What am I over looking?

Thanks
Don

Old 08-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I dont know the weight limit but surly 170 - 200 would be Okay.

I put my slide in and out many times with one person sitting at the dinette (in my slide) and it was fine. No strain or differnt nosies.

Plus I have my printer, two reams of paper, small space heater, some extra odds and ends (so maybe 60# extra?) under my seats.

(IMO) I dont think I would worry about 200# extra to much.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote