Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
2018 vegas model changes summary

See attached 2018 model refinement sheet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	4291  

Old 07-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Minnesota
THOR #7110
I'm still on the fence on a purchase of one of these units! I see there are some locally now priced at 80,000! Can you give me your thoughts and use ofsix months of ownership! How many miles driven ease of driving and size! What you wish you'd had likes and dislikes! We really don't know which way to go we looked at a class B at first but that was too small we thought.. but we don't want anything too big but we want something we can drive coast to coast if we want!
I have not been on this forum for a while and kind of out of the loop I guess! Again thanks for your help in advance.we really want to get the right one the first time rather then buy something we don't like?
Old 07-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fortheRoad View Post
I'm still on the fence on a purchase of one of these units! I see there are some locally now priced at 80,000! Can you give me your thoughts and use ofsix months of ownership! How many miles driven ease of driving and size! What you wish you'd had likes and dislikes! We really don't know which way to go we looked at a class B at first but that was too small we thought.. but we don't want anything too big but we want something we can drive coast to coast if we want!
I have not been on this forum for a while and kind of out of the loop I guess! Again thanks for your help in advance.we really want to get the right one the first time rather then buy something we don't like?
There are quite a few of us on here with Axis/Vegas units. Myself we've had our Axis 3 seasons now and still love it. We have just over 10,000 miles on it and so far the longest trip has been about 2,000 miles round trip (MI -> FL and back).

It drives pretty easy--its essentially a big Econoline van (thus if you've ever driven one of those you already know what it drives like). My wife chips in on the longer trips with the driving duties--she'd never do that with any of our pull behinds. Keep in mind that if you don't like the way it rides there is a ton of suspension mods you can do to change it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Was in the same situation as you. 12yrs with Class C Motorhomes thought were the best.
Now have Axis 24.1. The View Alone out the windshield because you are no longer staring at the persons BACK BUMPER in front of you because you sit higher while traveling is now the Deal Breaker 4 us not to mention storage etc. etc.. That is just my opinion Good Luck !!. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...vels-7997.html
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Forgot to add.. Today we took the Axis, Blueberry picking from Indiana to Michigan 100 miles each way and stopped at a few places along the way. Very easy parking.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:56 AM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
.....cut..... We really don't know which way to go we looked at a class B at first but that was too small we thought.. but we don't want anything too big but we want something we can drive coast to coast if we want!
.....cut.....

I'm interested in what responses you get because we are also on that fence. Have been for a long time.

For what it's worth, Class B sales growth (as percent) is greater than Cs and As. Class A sales in 2017 have been declining compared to 2016 for same time period, while Bs are growing faster than even Cs. I'd love to know what's driving this trend towards smaller motorhomes.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:07 AM   #7

THOR #7110
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Was in the same situation as you. 12yrs with Class C Motorhomes thought were the best.
Now have Axis 24.1. The View Alone out the windshield because you are no longer staring at the persons BACK BUMPER in front of you because you sit higher while traveling is now the Deal Breaker 4 us not to mention storage etc. etc.. That is just my opinion Good Luck !!. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...vels-7997.html

Thanks the Black Hills is one of the first places we want to go!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
2018 vegas model changes summary

haven't taken any long trips yet (waiting for the Aug 21 eclipse to head to TN! But we love the 24.1 2017 model. Good improvements on the 2017 (incorporated some of things that folks on this forum have been doing on their own plus we like the Euro cabinet styling). As for driving I agree with JamieGeek that this class A drives like an SUV and the view is fantastic. With an alignment and or steering stabilizers its a perfect size especially if you have a shy significant other that you want to have share some of the driving!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #9

THOR #7110
We have looked at a few different units! Even some trailers but we keep coming back to the Vegas 24.1! We want something comfortable if we're stuck inside when the weather gets bad and want to have some room and be comfortable! Yet but still have something that's drivable when we get to an area to see the sights! As you know it's just my wife and I and a couple of small dogs. I recently retired and my wife is possibly looking at the end of this year to pull the plug. So we're really getting serious and looking at options!
This forum is a great resource with so many members eager to offer advice!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
We have looked at a few different units! Even some trailers but we keep coming back to the Vegas 24.1! We want something comfortable if we're stuck inside when the weather gets bad and want to have some room and be comfortable! Yet but still have something that's drivable when we get to an area to see the sights! As you know it's just my wife and I and a couple of small dogs. I recently retired and my wife is possibly looking at the end of this year to pull the plug. So we're really getting serious and looking at options!
This forum is a great resource with so many members eager to offer advice!
We have had our Axis 24.1 for about a year and a half with about 5000 miles that we put on it (came with 2400 because we live in CA). It is very convenient for two and some doggies. Just remember that it is an entry level coach. That means, to me at least, that you will have to make some adjustments that cost extra $$$$. Driving/suspension issues will be first because you will need to make the driving experience better or you won't like going anywhere. I still would pick the Class A Axis/Vegas for the money.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #11

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I have put 35,000 miles on a Vegas and an Axis - including to Alaska and back - without any modifications to the chassis. Not saying it is not a good idea, just that it may not be completely necessary for you.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:42 AM   #12
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
We love our 24.1. It was the first year they came on the e450 chasis. I love the power of the v10. It's usually my wife and I in there and I've towed my wrangler with it ... sometimes I'd forget it's back there.

I wish it had a factory option for hydraulic jacks but I ended up installing my own. Other than that, for the price (usually in the low 70k's new), I thought it was a good deal. The interior is Thor so you're not going to get fancy shmancy stuff .. and the workmanship certainly lacks in a lot of places. But my thinking is if the chasis and drivetrain are solid (they are), and the body doesn't fall part (which it won't), I am handy enough that I can deal with the rest.

One little example: The motor on the electric front shade was having troubles ... it would have been covered under warranty etc but it was a lot easier for me to just find and buy a replacement on ebay. It took 5 mins to change it. If you are willing to do stuff like this yourself, you'll be happy with Thor. But if you are the kind of person to head to the dealer for every issue that comes up, be ready to spend a lot of time there (possibly)
Old 08-05-2017, 08:53 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
We just bought a new Axis 25.5. Our dealer mentioned that at some point in the future (they didn't know when) Thor may go back to the E350 chassis. From one summary I saw that was put out by Thor, all 2017 and 2018 models, so far, models except the 24.1 were being built on the E450 chassis, which I personally prefer. I didn't see anything about this on the list posted originally in this thread.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:57 AM   #14

State: Massachusetts
THOR #8001
did they add a back hatch to 24.1?

Hi, does anyone know if they added a hatch opening in the back wall of the 24.1 above the bummer to access the pass thru storage area in addition to the 2 existing side hatches?

I've seen pictures with it and without. Sometimes I think pictures of the different models get mixed up in different presentations.
Thanks
Old 08-07-2017, 02:02 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
This 24.1 has the hatch. Presumably all those pictures are of the same camper.

Thor's website shows the following picture for the rear storage of the 24.1:

I think it is there (on the 2018's).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:56 AM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenzy View Post
Hi, does anyone know if they added a hatch opening in the back wall of the 24.1 above the bummer to access the pass thru storage area in addition to the 2 existing side hatches?

I've seen pictures with it and without. Sometimes I think pictures of the different models get mixed up in different presentations.
Thanks
We were at MHSRV yesterday for warranty work on our 24.1 and looked at the only 2018 Axis they had on the lot - a 24.1 and it has the hatch opening in the back wall. Btw, it's on an E-450 chassis, same as our 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4783.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	6232  
Old 08-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #17

THOR #1812
Yep - 2018 24.1 has the rear door. 2018 Thor catalog lists all Axis/Vegas models EXCEPT the 24.1 on the E450 - 24.1 back on the E350.

We have over 20K miles on our 2015 Vegas. After a LOT of noise reduction work, and numerous suspension mods ( search for my posts if interested), I have it where I really like it. Size is great, performance is really good ( pulls 500 lbs of car and trailer easily) . We are heading from Michigan to California tomorrow for a month - so it gets used.....
Old 08-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #18

THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan fowler View Post
Yep - 2018 24.1 has the rear door. 2018 Thor catalog lists all Axis/Vegas models EXCEPT the 24.1 on the E450 - 24.1 back on the E350.
The window sticker on the '18 Axis 24.1 we looked at lists it with an E-450.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #19

THOR #1812
Yes, the early 2018 I looked at also was on an E450. Probably one of those later changes - or it could be either ......😏
Old 08-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #20

THOR #6523
I've yet to see a 2018 24.1 that's actually on an E350. They've all been on the E450.

Tags
2018, vegas 24.1