Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Cup holders

We found these laptop "shelves" at Barnes & Noble books and thought they would work well to hold a coffee up. We didn't want to screw holes in the bedroom of or Axis. These can hook on to the rear wind with some modification.

I glued a piece of wood on to change the "hook on" location. This allows the legs to adjust appropriately for the axis window. Remember it's made for a laptop and the laptop screen "tilt".

Should work well, will test next week. ROAD TRIP!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1654  

Old 03-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That is a cool idea.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

Model: Magnitude BH35
State: California
THOR #3901
Thor Axis.

I'm fairly new to this forum and i wanted to ask you how do you like your Thor Axis i'm really considering purchasing one. I wanted to know about power? and what you like and don't like about the RUV. thanks.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #4

THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by donieBee View Post
I'm fairly new to this forum and i wanted to ask you how do you like your Thor Axis i'm really considering purchasing one. I wanted to know about power? and what you like and don't like about the RUV. thanks.
We love our Axis! That said, there are things we are doing to it to personalize it to our taste and wants. We are 1st time RV owners and we are embracing the lifestyle! There's a lot of posts in the forums to help you make your RV decision.

Things to think about:
- its not a car/suv
- there will be cosmetic things you won't care much about and in time you may choose to ignore them
- you will want to customize things (such as; shower heads, sink faucets, couch, dinettes, radios, etc)
- think about what you want to do with the RV. this will help you decide on size and floor plan.
- gas is cheap (at least for now)
- test drive every one your thinking about to make sure your comfortable with it
- what do you want to stow and how big is it

We choose th Axis because of a few "requirements":
- we want to be able to tuck away on BLM land easily (and boondock)
- we wanted something the Mrs. Is comfy driving so we can take turns
- able to move about the cabin more freely
- we wanted something small ton courage us to go outside :-)
- we wanted king size sleeping area to accommodate us and two dogs lol

We wish the Axis had a wee bit more belly storage. But we overcome this by finding stuff that fits. We have to consider size of every purchase (grills, camp chairs, wood, etc.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by donieBee
Some reading for you:
2016 Axis 24.1 Impressions
Axis/Vegas Impressions and Experience
New 2016 Vegas 24.1 First Impressions

As far as us: We're going into our 3rd season now with the Axis and still are very happy with it (chomping at the bit waiting for the wx to break to go camping here in Michigan--looks like next weekend will be out I'll probably bring it home next weekend to work on it a bit though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodgers
We wish the Axis had a wee bit more belly storage. But we overcome this by finding stuff that fits. We have to consider size of every purchase (grills, camp chairs, wood, etc.
We "downgraded" to the Axis from a 31ft 5th wheel (for one of your reasons: The wife never drove the truck + 5er around--in fact she's already driven the Axis waay more than the 5er; even when pulling a car). I was very surprised that I was able to fit everything but 1 lounger in the Axis that we had stored in the 5th wheel. There is more storage there than you realize.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #6

THOR #3306
We cerainly haven't filled up our storage and we have everything we need and probable a few others we don't. When we purchase we look for things to go in a specific location. We don't want to stow in the main cabin if possible. So we plan & organize more than we do at home. Hah!

For example. We wanted a portable grill. There's many to choose from on the market. We ended up getting a Coleman Fryecommander 3-in-1 grill. It fits very nicely in one of the side bins. This leaves more room for stuff in the aft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1657  
Old 03-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
This is our second Axis/Vegas (2014 Vegas/2016 Axis). We went to the Tampa RV show in Feb planning to purchase a little bigger RV. We looked at 30 from 25-30' and bought another Axis. We drove the first one 25,000 miles and lived in it 4 straight months from FL to Alaska last year. This is our fifth RV in 12 years and we like it best.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodgers
For example. We wanted a portable grill. There's many to choose from on the market. We ended up getting a Coleman Fryecommander 3-in-1 grill. It fits very nicely in one of the side bins. This leaves more room for stuff in the aft.
We already had a Weber Baby Q and found it fits perfectly at the bottom of the passenger rear compartment--that extra deep well there looks like it was designed for the Baby Q.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #9

THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We already had a Weber Baby Q and found it fits perfectly at the bottom of the passenger rear compartment--that extra deep well there looks like it was designed for the Baby Q.
Nice! I like those grills too.

I store my camp wood in the same place. :-)
Old 03-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #10

Model: Magnitude BH35
State: California
THOR #3901
Thank you guys so much for the info. My wife and I have been a little undecided between the Axis/Vegas vs the Ace. We are a family of 5 so we wanted an RV that would accommodate us and our family, comfortably. From my research The thor Brand has been resurrecting they're reputation and have been doing a phenomenal job and the only reason why they're reputation wasnt up to par was only because of a speedy growth and lack of production power and quality control but that has all been resolved.. And I wanted to get more insight from actual Consumers. This is a huge investment and what we looked at were The Forest fr3, Thor's Axis and Ace. The reason why the Axis is our top choice was stated above " my wife can drive it". My next question is. When purchasing an RV is there a downfall when purchasing it out of state? What I've read is when repair is needed, purchasing the RV in a different State will make the process difficult with local repair shops. Is this true?
Old 03-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
CW had a drink cup holder last August (item # 4176 "Drink Hold Adj Black") at $6.29 each as a buy one get one free. I got 6 and used 2, gave 2 away. Available at Walmart now.

It folds up flat against the wall when not needed.

Name:	Camco Drink Holder.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1658

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #12

THOR #3306
I wanted to share our storage configuration as of late.

Rear storage
- 2 zero gravity chairs
- 2 Coleman camp chairs
- 2 collapsible chairs
- broom
- squeegee
- 2 milk crates full of gear and yawn games (hose, shore power cable, propane, lawn darts, etc.)
- wood

Side storage bin 1
- grill
- grill utensils

Side storage bin 2
- 2 bike helmets
- large bike tire pumps
- hiking sticks
- foam padding for awning
- tablecloth

Front passenger storage
- 6 leveling boards 2x8x16 (not really needed since HWH jack install!)

Front driver storage
- one small bag of misc tools

JaimeGeek, your right - I still have room for stuff! Time to get more gear lol
Old 04-23-2016, 01:49 AM   #13

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Georgia
THOR #3388
We bought our 1st RV last Oct- Thor Ace 27.1... And I (wife-65YO) insisted on driving it before we bought it- we both felt it was important that we could both drive. Hubby had an easier time with driving- but now I can drive in the center of the lane, back-up, corner, and be comfortable driving. 27.1 isn't as big as it looks. :-)