Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #4818
High Loop In Black Tank Flushing Circuit?

With all of the expertise out there, I'm sure that someone can give me a good answer as to why the coach manufacturer would put a high loop in the tank flushing circuit?

I'm redoing the wet bay and what to cut out as many extraneous hoses or extra length of hoses that I can ...

Old 10-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The loop is to prevent siphoning when you take the cap off to attach a water hose, suggest you leave it there to avoid a potential mess!
Old 10-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

THOR #4818
Wouldn't a check valve do the same thing / work as well?
Old 10-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #4

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon1152 View Post
Wouldn't a check valve do the same thing / work as well?
Probably, but that's how Thor does it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 10-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

THOR #4818
Copy that ... Thanks! I guess it's a question of how you define "broke" ... They use 20 feet of hose to do what a check valve will do and I am all about eliminating unnecessary runs like that ...
Old 10-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
All aftermarket flushers use a check valve.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #7

THOR #4818
Understood ... Thanks! I'm also finding out that the high loop approach is not without its' own pitfalls (i.e. break and leak all over the inside / living space of your RV) ... I think I'll head the check valve route and save on unnecessary headaches and pipe runs ...
Old 10-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #8

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
BOTH are required by building codes because you are directly tying potable and black water together.
So you are just willy nilly cutting out anything you don't think needs to be there? Sounds like a real plan to me. Do you really think the manufactures would put 1" more in than was required by code?
Make sure you keep posting as your project goes along. I can't wait to see what is next.

Bill
Old 10-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #9

THOR #4818
Don't care much for your "willy nilly" comment, but the rest of it I'll take ... I was just surprised to see that they took a fixture on the driver's side and ran tubing all the way to the passenger side outside wall to accomplish what a check valve would but I understand your code perspective ...

Thankfully being an owner and not a manufacturer, I can do whatever pleases me and neat, clean, functional and effective pleases me ... but not at the sake of sound engineering logic of course ...
Old 10-07-2017, 01:01 AM   #10

THOR #5196
I would double check to see if there is actually a check valve installed.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #11

THOR #4818
Copy that ...
Old 10-19-2017, 01:23 AM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #8483
Check valves can clog or jam open (they are mechanical). A anti-siphon loop shouldn't. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) philosophy.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:23 AM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
May want to track that "high loop" to make sure there's not an anti siphon valve at the high point in the loop. Mine has the valve hidden up behind the bathroom sink. IMHO that's a few wasted feet of pipe I'd leave as you found it.
If I were get real energetic to do what you're doing, my 1st step would be to build a water manifold for hot/cold so I could quickly shut either hot/cold off to every fixture individually from 1 handy location, which would most likely require more tubing.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #14

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
May want to track that "high loop" to make sure there's not an anti siphon valve at the high point in the loop. Mine has the valve hidden up behind the bathroom sink. IMHO that's a few wasted feet of pipe I'd leave as you found it.
If I were get real energetic to do what you're doing, my 1st step would be to build a water manifold for hot/cold so I could quickly shut either hot/cold off to every fixture individually from 1 handy location, which would most likely require more tubing.
You wouldn’t have to build a manifold, you can buy one, it’s a Manibloc manifold made for pex tubing. Maniblocs come in several different sizes with more or less ports, I have one in my house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3E647C72-0BB2-41C7-9889-31B73CB2C41F.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	7386
Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #15

THOR #4818
All great input ... Thanks Guys!

p.s. Manibloc is already part of the plan ...
Old 10-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #16

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #6185
High Loop In Black Tank Flushing Circuit?

This is a little bit off topic, but has everything to do with plumbing. I have a Challenger 37LX, and the water supply to the toilet in my rear bathroom has started leaking where the blue pex tube connects to the 90 degree elbow. Since you are talking about redoing the plumbing in your whole coach, I figured you might know how I can tighten or replace that fitting. Do I need a special tool, or can I get it tightened with pliers, or even replace that clamp with an automotive screw type clamp?
Old 10-21-2017, 11:37 PM   #17

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
There at least 2 kinds of pex clamps; crimp which has a small loop sticking out somewhere on it which requires a special tool (sold at most home improvement stores) to tighten it & the same tool will work for all sizes of clamps. The other is a band clamp which just a band compressed on the pipe, also requires a special tool for each size of band. Both types a very difficult to remove without damage to the pex. My rv has the crimp fittings so I bought the tool & went through & tightened all the clamps I could get to, that's most likely your easiest fix, but not necessarily the cheapest.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #18

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I had a flush valve added, when I bought the Gemini. I am going to guess since it did not come factory equipped with a black tank flush, I have no high loop. Since every time I flush the black tank, every time I dump it, I would guess all that high pressure water would tend to keep that valve clear. So far no problems or issues.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:54 AM   #19

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #6185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
There at least 2 kinds of pex clamps; crimp which has a small loop sticking out somewhere on it which requires a special tool (sold at most home improvement stores) to tighten it & the same tool will work for all sizes of clamps. The other is a band clamp which just a band compressed on the pipe, also requires a special tool for each size of band. Both types a very difficult to remove without damage to the pex. My rv has the crimp fittings so I bought the tool & went through & tightened all the clamps I could get to, that's most likely your easiest fix, but not necessarily the cheapest.

Thanks! I believe mine is the loop kind, so I will head to Home Depot to try to find that tool.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #20

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
On my to-do project list is a gradual R/R all pex plastic fittings with metal. The id on metal fittings is much larger.