Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
AC mounted WiFi Ranger

Why don't I see anyone mounting antenna's on AC covers? Yes, it would make the vehicle higher but (in my case) still less than 12 foot. This model the mast is flexible, would rivet it and provide extra support if needed. The advantage is getting above the AC and roof vents etc and that much less real estate. Keeping room for pending solar panels and TV satellite.

Downside?

Old 09-30-2018, 09:05 AM   #2

State: Arkansas
THOR #11577
Most put them on their ladders with an extension pole. That way it’s not getting hit on the road and with a pole it can essentially go as high as you need it to. I don’t have one personally but that’s what I’ve noticed. We have two we-boosts on our 43 ft 5th wheel.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #3

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
Most put them on their ladders with an extension pole. That way it’s not getting hit on the road and with a pole it can essentially go as high as you need it to. I don’t have one personally but that’s what I’ve noticed. We have two we-boosts on our 43 ft 5th wheel.
Appreciate that. Got the we-boost mounted on the drivers side rear side peeking up above the roof line. I don't have a ladder (rear slide) and also don't want to have the extra chore to do.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I mounted mine to the rear ladder. I did a rough measurement and it looks to be about 2 or 3 inches above the AC cover.

I thought about mounting it on the AC cover but then I thought it would hit every tree limb in the CG or on my way the some of my Mtn Bike trails.

Plus as long as its not right next to something tall the waves will reach the ant just fine. Mine has to be 10 - 12 feet from the AC.

The short white ant in the pic is my WE Boost. Both of these products work great together. A must have for me to work on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4750.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	13149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4737.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	13150  

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
To answer your question: have you seen AC covers sitting on the side of the road? Broken apart? They're just a shell and get brittle over time. Adding extra stress by drilling holes and supporting an antenna in 65 mph wind would only shorten their life.

How about you mount it to the TV antenna arm? You put you TV antenna up and the antenna clears everything with LOS.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I mounted mine to the front AC cowling with simple zip ties - no issues in 4 years.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote