Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Michigan
THOR #14608
Adding 2 more 6V batteries to Power Bank

Looking for some clarification on the proper steps i should take to add 2 additional 6V batteries to our current power bank which is presently 2 - 6v batteries. I am adding same brand and size batteries, and will be putting them in series / parallel, but what i want to know is do i simply just turn off the inverter so that the system is not running, or is there something else i need to do before i start to add the wiring between the batteries? thanks.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:03 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
I wish I had room to add two more batteries!
Before wiring batteries I would disconnect the shore power. Disable power from solar if you have it.Disconnect the negative terminals first. as a precaution safeguard the positive terminal from touching anything metal. Just work slowly and cautiously and you will be fine.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:24 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
What he said above.... plus I would trip any breakers next to the battieries - just in case.

Keep in mind the age of the old and new battieries as well.

They like to be the same type and size but also AGE.

IMO 6 mo old + new would be fine. One year old + new = maybe?? Two year old + new = I would not do .... get 4 new ones or wait a couple more years and replace all at the same time. Or put 100 watt of solar on your shed/garage and use the old ones for that system?

Something to think about.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #4

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
In addition to the previous info, be sure your connections to the inverter go across your newly combined battery bank (i.e. the positive of one 6V series-pair and the negative of the second 6V series-pair) this will ensure you draw from and charge across the entire bank evenly ensuring maximum usage of available capacity, uniform charging and maximum life.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:00 AM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Michigan
THOR #14608
Thanks for the fast responses and support. It suppose to be sunny and dry here tomorrow so i plan to make the changes. btw the batteries are all same age. when i bought MH the dealer wouldn't install the extra two batteries but agreed to provide them and i had to install. So that's what i'm going to do. Again thanks for the info.