Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2019, 02:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Adding batteries to AXIS\VEGAS

I have finally decided to sacrifice one of my outside storage compartment to add two (2) more 12v batteries. I am trying to figure out how to install and support a battery tray in one of the long short compartments under the kitchen area to the left of the side door.

I figure I will have to remove the "plastic" compartment that exists now. Was thinking of one way to bolt a tray would be to drill through the coach floor and bolt beneath the kitchen cabinet.

Was just wondering if anyone else had done something similar, and what issues I hadn't thought of yet

Old 01-18-2019, 03:30 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have not installed extra batteries yet in my Axis.

But I have given it some thought. I would also add to this compartment ( next to the existing batteries and Under the sink area). But I would NOT "replace" the existing compartment but rather reinforce it some how.

I would want mine to look OEM and be waterproof (except maybe vent or two near the top?).

I was thinking of in internal angle iron that is predrilled (around 1 1/2 inch wide) that can be cut and bolted together at home and then either bolt to the floor or bolted under the rotocast compartment and up to some other metal structure that you can drill into and bolt to. The metal next to the step is very thick so that could support one side.

You might also consider AGM's since you would NOT have to vented them plus it might be easier to make the connections to the batteries if they are laying on their sides. Not to mention this compartment is very short so you may not have any other option but on the side?

Of coarse this would mean all 4 of your batteries would need to be AGM's of the same size and close to the same age (unless you split your system - have the converter charge the OEM battery and solar charge the new ones? But then how to you hook them up to use the juice?).

Or you might find room under the RV to bolt two more batteries behind the steps? But they would be very hard to hook up (no room) and check on.

Let us know what you figure out. But I like the idea of doubling my amp hours some day (esp after I add solar).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:54 AM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Yeah me too. I want to keep the tub. I've seen on the forum where someone used the curb forward compartment, built a rack and... I can't find it in a search. He bolted thru the sides up high. The compartment behind the door is great for being right under the fridge > thru the vent, for solar wiring. One concern for me is that end up a lot of expensive gear in an insecure compartment. But that could be dealt with.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I thought someone on here added an inverter + extra batteries but they put them in the passenger forward outside storage compartment. Seems to me that would be a better place than the not-tall-enough long slim ones.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote