Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
I'm very happy with the Curt Bluetooth controller. Portable and zero installation.
Have you even attempted to use the manual override button yet? I just wondered how it felt; it's not like you can press the screen harder and get more braking.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
No I haven't. I plugged it in, connected and that was pretty much it. The defaults seemed fine for my dolly with. 4200 pound pick up truck. I do remove it completely when the dolly is empty. Seems easier than switching to a different setup for loaded vs unloaded.

One suggestion for dolly use, it's REALLY convenient if the toad has a hitch to move the dolly around vs motorhome or pushing if the ground isn't flat and hard surface.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #23

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
No I haven't. I plugged it in, connected and that was pretty much it. The defaults seemed fine for my dolly with. 4200 pound pick up truck. I do remove it completely when the dolly is empty. Seems easier than switching to a different setup for loaded vs unloaded.

One suggestion for dolly use, it's REALLY convenient if the toad has a hitch to move the dolly around vs motorhome or pushing if the ground isn't flat and hard surface.
Yeah, I can't use a dolly. I have a car-hauler trailer that I pull my MB convertible on behind my Explorer. I'll pull my Explorer on it behind my Vegas for the few times that I do tow something. Makes more sense than spending another $3K to set up my Explorer for a flat-tow.

As far as the loaded/unloaded situation, isn't that just a simple switch in the app? I thought I remembered reading that you could put up to five profiles in there to cover situations like that, so you wouldn't have to reprogram it each time.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #24

State: Washington
THOR #10744
For that price you should do what we do, rent a small car from Enterprise. They pick you up at your campsite and return you to your campsite. To us it's one less headache.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #25

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbates View Post
For that price you should do what we do, rent a small car from Enterprise. They pick you up at your campsite and return you to your campsite. To us it's one less headache.
Not sure what price you are referring to. I already own a trailer; my only cost will be in the lessened mpg, which most people on the forum state will be less than 1. All I have to add to my mix (one time) is the brake controller, which is under $250.

Renting a car for two weeks, even a small one, will be far more expensive for us, and that's even having a nephew who works for Enterprise and using a friends and family discount.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #26

Model: Quantrum RC25
State: California
THOR #14016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I'm not really sure what you're saying here.
I have the E-450 Ford Cutaway, Quantum RC25. My rv had the 7pin trailer connector wired without the brake controller. The connector for the brake controller is behind the dashboard change holder.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #27

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junodtim View Post
I have the E-450 Ford Cutaway, Quantum RC25. My rv had the 7pin trailer connector wired without the brake controller. The connector for the brake controller is behind the dashboard change holder.
Help me, because maybe I'm misunderstanding. The Quantum is a Class C, based on the Ford Chassis Cab, not the Cutaway Chassis, I believe. You will have the connector there because Ford finished that part of the truck. The Vegas/Axis is on on a cutaway, which means that Thor completed everything from the front bumper to the back; from what everyone has told me, they do NOT add the wiring and adapter for us. We have to add that ourselves, which is a MAJOR expense. I simply don't understand why Thor doesn't do this, as they have no problem advertising the towing capabilities of our RV's. It's quite disappointing, but at least I have two relatively inexpensive options that don't require rewiring.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Help me, because maybe I'm misunderstanding. The Quantum is a Class C, based on the Ford Chassis Cab, not the Cutaway Chassis, I believe. You will have the connector there because Ford finished that part of the truck. The Vegas/Axis is on on a cutaway, which means that Thor completed everything from the front bumper to the back; from what everyone has told me, they do NOT add the wiring and adapter for us. We have to add that ourselves, which is a MAJOR expense. I simply don't understand why Thor doesn't do this, as they have no problem advertising the towing capabilities of our RV's. It's quite disappointing, but at least I have two relatively inexpensive options that don't require rewiring.
I believe the terminology Ford uses for the chassis under the Axis/Vegas is "Stripped Chassis"--not "Cutaway" (Cutaway can easily mean a van front that is "cut away" from the van.)

In addition, correct: The stripped chassis does not have the provision for a trailer brake controller. The chassis used in Class C's does because Ford does, indeed, complete the cab.

As an example: Axis/Vegas units don't have Ford dashboard change holder (unless you call the depression on the top of the dash that but hit the brakes and the coins would slide up front with the defrost vents ! LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #29

State: Washington
THOR #10744
Sorry, but replied to wrong message.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #30

State: Illinois
THOR #18365
Quote:
OK, so just for peace of mind, I climbed under the dash today and inspected. Found this, which I am pretty sure is the gray trailer brake connector that Ford puts on their vehicles. (I had to install one last year on my 2018 Explorer and it looks like what I remember, but that was LAST year!) Anyone want to verify this for me? I really can't easily get at my Explorer. Taking apart the entire dash is not what I want to do today.

TimmyB Was this the correct connector? I have the same connector in my 2019. I ordered the Tekonsha harness for this model but it does fit this connector.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #31

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheadrick View Post
TimmyB Was this the correct connector? I have the same connector in my 2019. I ordered the Tekonsha harness for this model but it does fit this connector.

Thanks,

Daniel
I truly don't know. We decided to move up to a much larger MH before I found out for sure. Sorry!
Old 03-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #32

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Timmy moved on to an sob.
But
Send that controller back after you consider the wireless unit which fits in your 7pin connector.
In cab connectors are on their way out as a technology.

Available on amazon, they transfer easily from vehicle to vehicle.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:30 PM   #33

THOR #18365
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2020, 11:34 PM   #34

THOR #18365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Timmy moved on to an sob.
But
Send that controller back after you consider the wireless unit which fits in your 7pin connector.
In cab connectors are on their way out as a technology.

Available on amazon, they transfer easily from vehicle to vehicle.
Thanks. Do you have any concern regarding connectivity? I know they store the configuration on the device but what about any real-time braking needs? Also, do have mod preference?
Old 03-15-2020, 11:37 PM   #35

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheadrick View Post
Thanks. Do you have any concern regarding connectivity? I know they store the configuration on the device but what about any real-time braking needs? Also, do have mod preference?
It's one of those things I don't put much thought into.
Except to offer you a great alternative and YouTube offering you plenty of how-to and opinion videos, I'm just a buy and use it type guy on things I don't need to know.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:45 AM   #36

State: Saskatchewan
THOR #24531
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
I have a 2018 thor vegas and the 7 pin hitch connection was installed and some of the wiring was pre-done. However, the power and another wire was not connected to the hitch. See below:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/...8-a-12786.html
What i did was not totally correct so the trailer company re-wired the power wire directly to the battery and used a heavier gage wire.
Was it just the power wire that had to be rerouted to the battery. I followed your instructions but didn't realize it didn't work. Might be a good idea to edit your post on how to install a brake controller on the vegas?