Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It's not that simple because Amp-hours IS NOT a measure of energy.

For example, 100 Amp-hours at 6 Volts is only half the "energy" as 100 Amp-hours at 12 Volts. And if we used a 48-Volt system like in many residential solar applications (and auto future) the difference (error) is even greater.

The best way to actually simplify these calculations is to use units of measure for energy, which for batteries is normally kWh (kilowatt-hour). That's how electric cars are rated because Amp-hours would be useless without also knowing voltage. RVs are "usually" 12 volt systems, but even that confuses a lot of people because batteries can be 6- or 12-Volt.

When you look at actual energy storage capacity of batteries, assuming same chemistry and battery weight, there is very little difference between 6- and 12-Volt batteries.

There is usually a "slight" advantage for the 6-Volt over 12-Volt because each cell is larger, requiring a little less packaging per pound of battery. If we only cared about maximizing Amp-hours per battery, we'd go to 2-Volt batteries.
Actually, all we care about is Amp-Hours capacity at 12 volts.

Most people realize the AMP-Hours in 2 12 volt batteries in parallel are additive and the voltage in 6 volt batteries in series is additive, but the AMP-Hours are not.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Iowa
THOR #6045
I installed Two group 31 optima it seems good to go.

6v are much cheaper if cost is all you care about.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #23

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Battery Replacement

As I said before, we opted for two of the 6 volt LifeTime AGM batteries mounted on their sides. So far so good but a bit of $$.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #24

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Actually, all we care about is Amp-Hours capacity at 12 volts.

Most people realize the AMP-Hours in 2 12 volt batteries in parallel are additive and the voltage in 6 volt batteries in series is additive, but the AMP-Hours are not.

Do you realize that not all RVs operate on 12 Volt systems?

Another example of why energy content of batteries should be measured and expressed in units of measure that actually represent energy.

When Tesla says a car has 85 kWh of battery capacity, I don't need to know what its voltage or Amp-hour capacity is. It's simpler that way in my opinion.

When Trojan rates a deep-cycle battery at 1.5 kWh, that says a lot about its size to me if comparing to other batteries.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #25

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
My Battery in 30FE

My battery came as a 75ah 12 volt and was thinking of replacing it with a 200ah 12 volt, deep cycle, agm. The new battery refers to solar. Do I have to have solar or can I replace my existing battery? It’s 23” long.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmgr View Post
My battery came as a 75ah 12 volt and was thinking of replacing it with a 200ah 12 volt, deep cycle, agm. The new battery refers to solar. Do I have to have solar or can I replace my existing battery? It’s 23” long.
You don't NEED solar, but it can help to keep it charged as long as the charge controller knows it is an AGM battery (most solar charge controllers have settings to change between battery types.)

Your original charging system may take 2 to 3 times longer to fully charge your new battery because of the added AH capacity.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #27

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:

Another example of why energy content of batteries should be measured and expressed in units of measure that actually represent energy.

When Tesla says a car has 85 kWh of battery capacity, I don't need to know what its voltage or Amp-hour capacity is. It's simpler that way in my opinion.

When Trojan rates a deep-cycle battery at 1.5 kWh, that says a lot about its size to me if comparing to other batteries.
Chance,
You commented about the rigs being 12 volt systems when the suggestion was made about six volt batteries. People that DO install the six volt batteries, I am one of them, wouldn't do it if they didn't work. To make them work they are wired "in series" instead of "parallel" connections. But, good six volt, even good 12 volt deep cycle batteries that will actually last, are not cheap. Case in point, the batteries that came on our not even two year old Axis had to be replaced.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:

We're talking about a vast majority of the MHs on US highways today, not the one-off 24 VDC or even 48 VDC configurations. Does Thor even make a RV with anything other than 12 VDC for the house DC buss?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #29

THOR #9957
Quote:
We're talking about a vast majority of the MHs on US highways today, not the one-off 24 VDC or even 48 VDC configurations. Does Thor even make a RV with anything other than 12 VDC for the house DC buss?
All my RVs were 12VDC. AH capacity is for units that dry camp and need Power to operate devices in the RV.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #30

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I have learned from reading here that you want the highest Amp Hours per battery. Two six volt in series create more amp hours than two 12v in parallel. (I hope I said that right)
Series doubles the voltage and keeps the same AH.
Parallel keeps the same voltsge and doubles the AH.
Deep Cycle batteries are better and AGM is zero maintenance.
I was looking at 2 12v deep cycle 120 AH AGM that would provide my RV with 12v and 240 AH.
My RV came with 1 12v regular 75AH. Not having any issues so far but could.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #31

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskmgr View Post
Series doubles the voltage and keeps the same AH.
Parallel keeps the same voltsge and doubles the AH.
Deep Cycle batteries are better and AGM is zero maintenance.
I was looking at 2 12v deep cycle 120 AH AGM that would provide my RV with 12v and 240 AH.
My RV came with 1 12v regular 75AH. Not having any issues so far but could.

Our 2018 Chateau 35SD came with two 6vdc batteries. I wonder how the factory decides what to install?

wenz
Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #32
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzOmatic View Post
Our 2018 Chateau 35SD came with two 6vdc batteries. I wonder how the factory decides what to install?

wenz
"Hey Joe what do you have over there?" "uh I have a 6V battery and a 12V battery" "Great 18V MORE POWER lets install both"
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #33

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
My 2017 35sk Fourwinds came with 2 interstate 27 I do have room for 2 more under steps thinking on solar also just not ready yet
Old 11-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #34

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiegeek View Post
"hey joe what do you have over there?" "uh i have a 6v battery and a 12v battery" "great 18v more power lets install both"

roflol!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #35

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Good question -- I don't know about Thor.

I have seen reference to 24-Volt battery systems, and also converters, inverters, and inverter/chargers for 24-Volt RVs. I expect they would only be used on some larger diesel rigs that have 24-Volt starters and alternators. I've also seen reference to using a DC-DC converter to step voltage down to 12-Volts for some users.

I doubt these are as rare as one-off but I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:01 AM   #36

Model: Four Winds 23U
THOR #9748
There is a BIG advantage to using 2 6v batteries in Series. That is paralleling batteries is never recommended. Batteries are never the same and do not age the same. The charging characteristics are mismatched, overcharging or undercharging becomes a problem. Overcharging can boil out the electrolyte, cause the battery to get hot and explode.
Considere series L-16 batteries used for solar installations, they are big. You don't get something for nothing.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:31 PM   #37

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I have learned from reading here that you want the highest Amp Hours per battery. Two six volt in series create more amp hours than two 12v in parallel. (I hope I said that right)
Just the opposite.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #38

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenzOmatic View Post
On the interstate page for RVs they list the 12v as 220 Amps and the 6v as 447 Amps. My battery box is 27 1/2” x 14 1/2” looks like it would take 4, 12vdc (840 total) batteries if turned sideways or 2, 6vdc (894 total).

Looks like the 6vdc would beat out the 4 12 vdc batteries.

What am I missing?

wenz
6v doesn’t add AH in Series. 12v adds AH in parallel.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #39

THOR #9957
6v 220AH Times 2 in Series = 12v 220AH.
12v 110AH Times 2 in || = 12v 220AH
Since 6v are usually deep cycle, they last longer and if you prefer maintenance free (AGM), they cost more.
Plus both take longer to charge with a converter. Shorter with a solar charger.
I had been looking at replacing my 1 12v 75AH with 2 6v 110AH in Series (deep cycle, agm) but now I’m thinking of a 12v Deep Cycle, agm, 110 AH as I don’t boondock ever.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #40

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
There is a BIG advantage to using 2 6v batteries in Series. That is paralleling batteries is never recommended. Batteries are never the same and do not age the same. The charging characteristics are mismatched, overcharging or undercharging becomes a problem. Overcharging can boil out the electrolyte, cause the battery to get hot and explode.
Considere series L-16 batteries used for solar installations, they are big. You don't get something for nothing.
Hogwash!