Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2018, 04:04 AM   #1

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
Question Adding Fireplace to 2018 Miramar 37.1

Did a couple of searches on this, but nothing directly relevant popped up.

TL;DR version - want to install fireplace in a unit that was initially ordered without one. There is a breaker and wire. Where does it run to?

Earlier in the year we got a new 2018 Miramar 37.1 which didn't include a fireplace. Now that fall has begun, I've started to think about adding a fireplace so we can get rid of the space heater we use now.
  • I know what make/model fireplace is supposed to be in my unit from the factory, since the conveniently left me the manual and a remote, presumably from some other unlucky owners that didn't receive them.
  • I've found I have a "Fireplace" breaker installed. It's connected to some Romex/NM 14ga wire that runs off under my bed and disappears under the floor.
  • I do woodworking, so altering the cabinet isn't a problem either.
The only thing that's holding me back is: Where does that wire run to? I suspect it might be run into the dead space in the cabinet to the right of where the fireplace goes, but there's no easy way to get in there without doing some dismantling or cutting. Has anyone else out there with 2016-present Miramar installed or replaced their fireplace?

My next stop is to call Thor and see if I can get the info out of them, but figured I'd try here first since you all have collectively seen just about everything.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:03 AM   #2

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
So, I finally called Thor Friday. The support person I spoke to agreed that if there's a breaker and a wire running from it to somewhere, then it's probably terminated and ready to accept a fireplace.

The cutout dimensions in the fireplace manual claim that there's supposed to be 6-1/2" clearance from the front of the cabnet, but the cabinet was only 5" deep.

Armed with all that, I finally felt brave enough to do a little bit of gentle exploratory surgery, which started by removing what looked like one of those 1/2" square shelf supports/cleats, but was only screwed into the wall and had no nails driven into the shelf. Long story short, there's a false back to the cabinet and inside it was the already-mounted receptacle. The fireplace actually sits about 1" inside the wall the cabinet is mounted on.

The fireplace is on order - the slightly less expensive and easier to obtain Furrion FF26C15ABL, instead of the no-name EF30B, but their install cutout is identical. Depending on when it actually gets delivered, I may be able to get it installed around the new year. I'll take some before/during/after pictures and share once it's in and I can continue with the project. Hopefully it'll help someone else, because while you may not have a Miramar, it may give you some insight, especially if your model can come with a fireplace option.

Tags
fireplace, miramar, mods