Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Adding side turn signals

I know that lots of cars and RVs now come with side mounted turn signals. My older Hurricane did not but it seemed a worthwhile project. I had learned in the past that altering the current load on the flasher circuit for incandescent lamps caused them to malfunction. Testing with some LED lights showed me that they did not seem to affect the flasher circuit. At a local trailer dealer (Texas Trailers) I found 6 1/2 inch oval lights that came with a rubber mounting grommet. Finding a good place to mount them with wiring accessibility wasn't easy but I finally found a place just ahead of the front tire. The lights came with three wires for both turn signal and clearance lights so I wired them in parallel with the incandescent turn signal up front.
It wasn't a tough job at all and now it feels good that I can give more warning when I need to change lanes.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca

Old 03-27-2017, 03:02 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
I know that lots of cars and RVs now come with side mounted turn signals. My older Hurricane did not but it seemed a worthwhile project. I had learned in the past that altering the current load on the flasher circuit for incandescent lamps caused them to malfunction. Testing with some LED lights showed me that they did not seem to affect the flasher circuit. At a local trailer dealer (Texas Trailers) I found 6 1/2 inch oval lights that came with a rubber mounting grommet. Finding a good place to mount them with wiring accessibility wasn't easy but I finally found a place just ahead of the front tire. The lights came with three wires for both turn signal and clearance lights so I wired them in parallel with the incandescent turn signal up front.
It wasn't a tough job at all and now it feels good that I can give more warning when I need to change lanes.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Now it makes me wonder why, other than a few dollars extra cost, why they don't install them at the factory. LED lights have become so much cheaper and don't draw the amps to cause any problems. Looks like another project.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:39 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Like you, I own an older Hurricane and try to keep it as updated with new technology as possible.
It would be nice, if you could post some pictures of the lights you bought and of the location you installed them.
I really think it is a good idea to make this safety related mod.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 AM   #4

THOR #3520
Here are a couple of photos if I can make it work. Never tried this before.
One photo from each side and you can see they are slightly different. But then the factory installed clearance light differs from side to side. I also included a shot of the light pulled free. The rubber grommet has a rib that holds behind the skin. I used three conductor rubber covered 16 gauge wire. Where I went through the inner skin into the wheel well there was thin sheet metal. I made a 1/2 inch hole, deburred it and used a rubber grommet there to protect the wire. To make the hole for the light I used a 2 ans 1/2 inch holesaw at each end and a little battery saw to connect the two.
Finding the right spot was the hard part, the rest was quite straight forward.
Hope this helps someone.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	179.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	4337   Click image for larger version

Name:	180.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	4338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	181.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	4339  
Old 03-29-2017, 02:13 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Just out of curiosity could you have pulled the marker light and put in a surface mounted blinker w/marker bulb, using the supplied wiring for the marker and running just one additional wire for the blinker.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:21 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
VERY nice job!!!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:41 AM   #7

THOR #3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven View Post
Just out of curiosity could you have pulled the marker light and put in a surface mounted blinker w/marker bulb, using the supplied wiring for the marker and running just one additional wire for the blinker.
What you suggest might be possible and it was considered. However, not really understanding how sensitive the flasher circuit might be if I added load on just one leg, I only tested a full parallel on all three wires. When that worked, I quit trying other alternatives. My first attempt was with a surface mount marker similar to the existing clearance light. It was not visible in daylight. It had to be brighter and protrude outwards. The light I ended up using was purpose built as marker/turnsignal for side mount.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 03-29-2017, 03:30 AM   #8

THOR #5756
Quote:
Here are a couple of photos if I can make it work. Never tried this before.
One photo from each side and you can see they are slightly different. But then the factory installed clearance light differs from side to side. I also included a shot of the light pulled free. The rubber grommet has a rib that holds behind the skin. I used three conductor rubber covered 16 gauge wire. Where I went through the inner skin into the wheel well there was thin sheet metal. I made a 1/2 inch hole, deburred it and used a rubber grommet there to protect the wire. To make the hole for the light I used a 2 ans 1/2 inch holesaw at each end and a little battery saw to connect the two.
Finding the right spot was the hard part, the rest was quite straight forward.
Hope this helps someone.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Thank you! I have never seen marker lights like this, with that bubble in the middle!
Now I have to go to the different auto stores!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #9

THOR #3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
Thank you! I have never seen marker lights like this, with that bubble in the middle!
Now I have to go to the different auto stores!
Online you can find the ones I used.
6.5" Oval Amber Side Marker and Turn Signal Lamp Custer Products

That is their CPL65A-SMA lights.

Hope that helps.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 03-30-2017, 05:45 AM   #10

THOR #5756
Quote:
Online you can find the ones I used.
6.5" Oval Amber Side Marker and Turn Signal Lamp Custer Products

That is their CPL65A-SMA lights.

Hope that helps.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Thanks! A new project for the time when winter is finally over here in de Nordland