Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3609
So my two Maxfan's only works as exhaust ... Miss my old Fanatastic fan that blew both ways. Don't see why I can't order a Delux Maxfan and switch the guts out so blows as well as exhaust. I would assume it would fit. The goal is not to disturb the roof where there mounted.
I guess will call first and ask....has anybody done this?

Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid
So my two Maxfan's only works as exhaust ... Miss my old Fanatastic fan that blew both ways. Don't see why I can't order a Delux Maxfan and switch the guts out so blows as well as exhaust. I would assume it would fit. The goal is not to disturb the roof where there mounted.
I guess will call first and ask....has anybody done this?
I haven't done that but I have installed three Fantastic Fans (one in a TT and two in the 5er before the Axis). Completely replacing a roof vent isn't that difficult--you just have to make sure its all sealed up when put back together.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #23

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
i agree, just installed a maxxfan deluxe this weekend. not that hard... but i'd agree if you can avoid breaking the seal thats a better plan
Old 06-02-2016, 03:02 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
This sounds good and looks good but what kind of screen is on each one? Never see the front of any of them. At about 1:10 they show one with a lot more openings than any of the rest and seems to have about half air flow... For the video all they have to do is add something to the inside of each just to make another one really look good. Sure it might be some what better then a few of them but they did something to over exaggerate the loss of air flow even in the one I thought would of been the best. You cant believe everything you see on the internet...
Old 06-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #25

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I ordered my Vegas with no fans, and installed a MaxxAir fan with remote in the front DIY. The wires were already there. Will install one in the back when Mrs S says she wants one. They will run in reverse, and are supposed to close in the rain, although we haven't tested that. Previous RVs with Fantastic fans had that rain feature, but no reverse.

Installation was pretty easy. Needed a saw to shorten the sleeve. Sealing properly is not a problem with self-leveling sealer, just use plenty of it!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #26

THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
So, doing some additional snooping, I confirmed that the '16 Axis has MaxFans installed which have the built-in mounting tabs on the top. MaxFan sells their own "EZ CliP" FanMate rain covers which are a bit more expensive but they install with metal clips instead of drilling holes and mounting brackets. Ordered through Amazon....we'll see how it goes when they get here. Thanks again to all for your information.
We traded in two of the extra TV's for 3 of Max covers, lets see, ~$1800 for two tv's retail for 3 covers about $120 retail; plus Camping World installed them at no charge. About a hour for a tech 'cause they had to drill 4 mounting holes for the bathroom vent. Guess that's fair as we don't have any use for a tv but do the covers.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #27

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94@hot.rr.com View Post
This sounds good and looks good but what kind of screen is on each one? Never see the front of any of them. At about 1:10 they show one with a lot more openings than any of the rest and seems to have about half air flow... For the video all they have to do is add something to the inside of each just to make another one really look good. Sure it might be some what better then a few of them but they did something to over exaggerate the loss of air flow even in the one I thought would of been the best. You cant believe everything you see on the internet...
ok, fair enough.
All I can say is if you look at one in person, compared to any other brand/type, you will see the difference. See on the back, the cover is made to form fit against the "standard" domed vent cover?
That does allow the cover to open fully, where the other covers block it from opening all the way.
How much restriction? I didn't measure it....
and as I mentioned before, I'm not so sure it really matters all that much. May be insignificant....
but it does look like a better mousetrap to me.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:26 AM   #28

THOR #3609
Talked to MaxxAir and it's a no go on switching out the guts to have fan blow both ways... Have to replace the whole unit. So will be installing A Fantastic Fan that I just got from Amazon. I have done it before..installed one on the old TT, just hated to disturb the waterproofing on the roof..😩
Old 06-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #29

THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Talked to MaxxAir and it's a no go on switching out the guts to have fan blow both ways... Have to replace the whole unit. So will be installing A Fantastic Fan that I just got from Amazon. I have done it before..installed one on the old TT, just hated to disturb the waterproofing on the roof..😩
Cant you buy a 2 way toggle switch that reverses the ground and then it would run backwards? Use that switch to reverse the polarity and then the fan switch for speed.
here you go about 15 bucks....

http://www.amazon.com/Rocker-Switch-...olarity+switch
Old 06-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #30

THOR #3609
Hmmm...thinking out the box! Luv it! Just took the fan apart and have good access to the inside of the switch...and just ordered the part.
Thanks Don
Old 06-05-2016, 04:14 AM   #31

THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Hmmm...thinking out the box! Luv it! Just took the fan apart and have good access to the inside of the switch...and just ordered the part.
Thanks Don
Glad to help and give you a good idea...
Old 06-05-2016, 05:06 AM   #32

THOR #4102
Maxx Air ven t covermodel number

My Axis has the clip mounts already on the roof - The ones I see videos for on CW indicate a solid clip mount that does not have the slot for the existing mounts on the ceiling.

I believe this one from Makarios is what I need. Did not find it at CW

Thanks,

JM
Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #33

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleshoeracer View Post
My Axis has the clip mounts already on the roof - The ones I see videos for on CW indicate a solid clip mount that does not have the slot for the existing mounts on the ceiling.

I believe this one from Makarios is what I need. Did not find it at CW

Thanks,

JM
Yes, those will be the ones you should get so you don't have to drill any holes and just use the clips. Got mine on Amazon for a few dollars cheaper. Very quick and easy install.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #34

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
We just bought a 2017 Four Winds 22E. I would like to swap one of the two vent only vents for a two way Fantastic Fan. Does anyone know if I will find the wires present? If not is there a work around?

Ken
Old 07-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #35

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
This is the one I just purchased and installed on my Axis. The reason I selected it is because it is deigned for the fan in my 2016 Axis. Installation entails screwing in 8 #6 screws into holes that are already in the side of the fan, attaching the brackets. Then it is two bolts and two clips to attach the cover. No drilling, no holes in the roof, took 5 minutes - during my twice yearly roof inspection. Two clips are easily removed and the cover opens for cleaning underneath it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	2509  
Old 08-29-2016, 02:26 AM   #36

THOR #3609
Back in June posted that I wanted to have my Max fan in the back blow both way, ordered a switch to reverse polarity ...No luck. Ended up installing new Fantastic Fan. So have the old Max fan if anybody wants... Free!
Old 08-29-2016, 04:52 AM   #37

THOR #4719
Our motorhome has vents not fans. I want to install at least one fantastic fan. Thor customer support says the wiring is already there. Should I trust that info?

If I remove the vent, will a fan go int the vacant hole without cutting etc?

In other words are these vent holes and fan holes the same?
Ken
Old 08-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au

Yes and yes: I've installed 3 Fantastic fans in various campers. Haven't put one in the Axis because we have a habit of getting rid of the RV right after I install the FF! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #39

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Our motorhome has vents not fans. I want to install at least one fantastic fan. Thor customer support says the wiring is already there. Should I trust that info?

Ken
I would say, Probably and Yes

The schematics show power to my bedroom vent, but when i took of the trim ring no wires were there.
But there were wires in the front vent.
That made my decision easy regarding which vent to replace with a fan.... although I don't think it would have been very hard to find power. The wiring might have been there, just behind the aluminum structure someplace, or I could get it form a nearby light fixture.

It's really easy to verify, just pull the screws out of the vent trim rings and it drops right out. Just be careful of brittle plastic. Mine were a bit brittle from sun and heat, so I ended up with a few minor cracks in the trim ring..... but it didn't matter since I was replacing with vents soon after.

I think there technically are a few different standard sized vents.... i believe all of these are the same.

It's a relatively easy project, if you are even just a little bit handy.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #40

THOR #4719
Thanks for the helpful replies. I have to get signed approval from the captain of our motorhome, but I think she'll go along with it.

Ken