Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Attic Vent Rain Covers

I was recently at a Super Wal-Mart and noticed that they had the Camco attic vent rain covers for sale for $20 each. Has anyone installed them and is it worth doing?

Old 05-09-2016, 12:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If you have a fantastic fan a standard fan vent cover will not work.

I had vent covers installed on my prior coach and on this one I had them installed as a condition of sale at dealers expense. For me well worth the effort and money.

They are nice because I can leave the vents open regardless of weather and while driving.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:44 AM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I installed a fantastic vent cover over my fan-less vent, Very happy that I did. Plan to install one over the bath fan, and maybe over the other vent too, depending on which fan I install (may go with one of the Maxx Fan Deluxe, which has it's own integral cover.

It's a very easy install

One thing I'll point out....
not likely a huge big deal, but the fantastic cover is designed to allow for a full opening of the vent. The others, especially the cheaper ones limit the opening and therefore limit air flow a bit.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:54 AM   #4

THOR #3483
Vent Rain Cover

Thanks for including that video! Glad I asked the question.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

THOR #908
hey, you bet. Just paying it forward.
Someone else linked to that same video a long time ago, over at a popup camper trailer site I used to visit, and I found it interesting.

But I'll re-iterate, I'm not sure if it really matters all that much. The fantastic cover is more expensive. Is it worth the difference?

I think you need to consider that usually you're probably running a fan on a lower speed anyway, so does absolutely maximizing airflow really matter all that much?

Regardless, if you're like me you like to be fully informed.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
A couple of additional items that fit into the "For what it's worth" category.

First check to see if the vent cover is a flush mount or if it is designed to have a small gap on the lower edge to allow for water and condensation drainage. If the cover is designed to have the small gap you do not want yourself or the dealer installing the cover to caulk over that gap.

Also, before buying determine whether or not you want the vent cover to include a bug screen on the opening. I have MaxxAir covers on my vents and Fantastic Fan and I have not seen any wasps attempt to nest inside the covers.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #7

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
A couple of additional items that fit into the "For what it's worth" category.

First check to see if the vent cover is a flush mount or if it is designed to have a small gap on the lower edge to allow for water and condensation drainage. If the cover is designed to have the small gap you do not want yourself or the dealer installing the cover to caulk over that gap.

Also, before buying determine whether or not you want the vent cover to include a bug screen on the opening. I have MaxxAir covers on my vents and Fantastic Fan and I have not seen any wasps attempt to nest inside the covers.
I went with a bug screen in my cover too. didn't want to deal with wasp nests up in there if I could help it!

That's actually something I've been wondering about with the Maxx Fan deluxe that i'm considering for my other fanless vent. With its integral cover, I wonder if there's a reasonable way to install a screen at the outside vent. I know there's one under the fan so they can't get inside the RV, but I'll want to add one outside too! Planning o slip down to my neighborhood Camping World to take a hands on look at one soon!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

THOR #3483
MaxFan Rain Cover

So, doing some additional snooping, I confirmed that the '16 Axis has MaxFans installed which have the built-in mounting tabs on the top. MaxFan sells their own "EZ CliP" FanMate rain covers which are a bit more expensive but they install with metal clips instead of drilling holes and mounting brackets. Ordered through Amazon....we'll see how it goes when they get here. Thanks again to all for your information.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:43 AM   #9

THOR #3483
Maxx Fan Rain Cover EZ Clip

FYI, I cancelled my order through Amazon with a delivery date sometime in June and got the same thing much cheaper through Ebay. Should be here in about a week. I'll take some pics to post.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:39 AM   #10

THOR #3483
Maxx Fan Rain Cover EZ Clip

They arrived in the mail today. Pictures to follow.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #11

THOR #3483
MaxFan Rain Covers with EZ Clip

Got the two covers installed. The clips were a piece of cake and both took only minutes. Pictures coming up.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:49 PM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I ordered our '16 Vegas without the two ceiling fans, then installed the fancier Maxx fan deluxe with remote in the living area. The wires were in place. Was expecting to install a second one in the bedroom, but haven't wanted it. With two, you can reverse one for better ventilation. The deluxe has a rain sensor, which is a nice feature.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine
I ordered our '16 Vegas without the two ceiling fans, then installed the fancier Maxx fan deluxe with remote in the living area. The wires were in place. Was expecting to install a second one in the bedroom, but haven't wanted it. With two, you can reverse one for better ventilation. The deluxe has a rain sensor, which is a nice feature.
I had two fantastic fans in our 5th wheel. Putting one on "in" and the other on "out" and running them on high made very little difference in the coach. I got far better results by putting them both on "out" and opening the windows.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:11 AM   #14

THOR #3483
Attic Vent Rain Covers

Here are the Maxx Fan attic vent rain covers with the EZ Clips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1076.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	2084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2085  

Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 AM   #15

THOR #3483
The first picture is the fan at the front and the second is with the Maxx Fan cover on the rear fan of the coach.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #3261
Also consider the option of using a translucent cover vs opaque.

If you are finding that the sun beam shining through your vent is annoying at times (while watching TV or whatever) you might want to choose one of the solid black units to cut down on glare. Alternatively, one of the more clear ones in white should work better to let in more natural light if that is your preference.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #17

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
I just learned that 2017 models (at least the Challenger I ordered) now comes with vent covers. I called Thor to verify because I was going to have the dealer install them since it is a brand new RV. I saw a video on the new changes for 2017 and heard the guy say that they come with covers. I had to watch it twice, but then called Thor to verify it. Needless to say, I cancelled the order with the dealer to install them.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #18

THOR #3483
Agree Chip.... Although the smoke or black ones look kind of cool on the roof, we wanted to let the light in and I also suspect that the white color reflects a little more heat than the dark plastic.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #19

THOR #3483
Good deal. For those that don't have them already, it seems to be a very easy fix.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #20

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
We had covers installed in our 2016 29.3 ACE prior to taking delivery. Three covers and they cost around $300 but it was money well spent. We can leave our vents open even when it rains.