Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Replacing Axxera radio!

Well, after much research and fiddling I pulled the trigger on a replacement radio for the POS Axxera radio. I went with the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX. For me, this unit had the best features and options. Although, the deciding factor was the navigation system which is powered by HERE maps, which offers free lifetime updates. Coverage includes US and Canada.

What I really like about the nav system is the ability to create a profile for my rig, with all of the dimensions, including weight. Also which type of roads I want to avoid, dirt roads, toll roads etc.

Bluetooth pairing was simple and easy, also has Apple play. For those of you with IPhones, you can plug in your iPhone and your apps will appear on the touchscreen, giving you full control of your phone thru the touchscreen; text messages, phone calls etc. I purchased the XM tuner for $30.00 on Amazon and added it as well. Although if you have a Sirius account and pay the additional $4.00 per month, you can simply play Sirius on your iPhone app and feed it via Bluetooth thru the stereo, it sounds great. Not sure about the streaming costs, I can't imagine it's using that much data!

It also receives free traffic info via the the Total traffic network, which partners with Clear Channel, I like free stuff!! One more important feature was the units ability to connect to my 3 cameras. Unlike the Axxera, when I switch to the rear camera, I still have control of the radio volume.

On a down side, it appears I did lose the mic on the rear camera, I guess the up side to that is I don't have to listen to the wife yelling at me!! That's just naming a few of the great options.

The install took approx 1.5 hrs at a local car toys shop, the installer did a fantastic job!!

On a different topic, when I removed dash cover, I was surprised at how thin it was and how much dead space was under the dash!! I also found a 3-4 inch diameter hole under the dash panel as well. This hole has several wiring bundles running to the chassis. There was easily 2 plus inches of open space for (road & engine) noise, air and bugs to make its way into the coach, not to mention letting heat or cool air escape!!

I used a can of pest block insulation spray foam to plug the hole. Next I found some heat resistant 1/2 inch foam and some 1/4 inch sound deadening material. I glued the sound deadoner material to the foam and placed it into the dash filling the voids.

Next I ordered some Dynamat 11102 Dynaliner 3/4 inch sound deadener. I cut and formed it to fit the dash cover, and used the dynatape to cover all seems and edges.

With all modifications in place, plus the earlier dog house modification, I've noticed a YUGE (HUGE) reduction in the noise level. I'm on a mission now to try and reduce the engine and road noise as much as I can. My next project when it warms up will be to clean the wheel well area under the driver and passenger seats and apply a couple of coats of Boom Mat sound deadoner to see if I can further reduce the noise levels. I may not be able to eliminate the noise, but any more reduction added to what I've done already, will be a big improvement over when I started this venture!!

I'll try and attach some pics I took along the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2578.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	3539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2579.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	3540  

Name:	IMG_2580.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	3541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2581.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	3542  

Old 12-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #2

THOR #578
More Pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2582.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	3543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2583.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	3544  

Name:	IMG_2584.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	3545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2585.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	3546  

Old 12-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #3

THOR #578
Last pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2586.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	3547   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2587.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	3548  

Name:	IMG_2588.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	3549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2589.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	3550  

Old 12-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Good Job! It is great to hear that the 8200 has the vehicle profile option. I already had a Garmin RV 760LMT, so didn't need the GPS. The Pioneer NEX series is so far superior to the Axxera. Have you found the setting that puts lines on the rear camera to better judge distance?
Old 12-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Did you get the $150 rebate? That is a pretty hefty rebate!
Rebate | Pioneer Electronics USA
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:56 AM   #6

THOR #578
I did get the rebate, plus a Christmas sale took another $250 bucks off the installation!! I have played with the back up camera lines, I've set them up, haven't had a chance t back into anything yet!!

There are lots of menu's to explore!
Old 09-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #7

Model: 24HE
State: Florida
THOR #10225
Glad to see someone has done this. I’ll be installing the 8200 in early October. You’ve got me wondering about changing the rear camera. I didn’t order the 8201 kit which includes the camera from Pioneer. Do you know if a new cable needs to be run if the Thor camera is replaced or are there connections on both ends?

Pete
Old 09-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #8

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I installed a Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX in my 2018 Chateau. Here is the thread about it:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...nex-12449.html

I really like it. The one issue I've had is the nav system seems to do some weird routing sometimes. I'm not sure if it's because of the size of the RV or what. At one point it directed me to exit the interstate and take a bunch of side roads and then get back onto the interstate. Maybe it was trying to avoid traffic, but there wasn't much traffic. I usually use Google Maps on my iPhone because I trust it to give me the quickest route, and I use the nav on the Pioneer unit as a backup.

I'm still using the original rear camera installed by Thor. It's okay most of the time, but it is useless in the dark, which is a pain if I get to a campsite after dark.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #9

Model: 24HE
THOR #10225
I look forward to checking out the navigation but like you say, there are other options. I use Waze by default and I understand it will display on the 8200. I have also heard that Waze and Google Maps will be supported on Apple CarPlay when iOS Version 12 is out soon.

Have you investigated the TPMS app that runs on the radio? It’s unclear which sensors it will work with.

I’m going to try the GPS antenna under the mattress above the driver and passenger seats. Not so sure about Sirius/XM. I may go to the roof.

Pete
Old 11-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #10

Model: outlaw
THOR #4137
replacing stero

Did you have to buy a new wiring harness? I have a 29h four winds with F-450
Old 11-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #10717
Did you ever consider this radio instead?
PUMPKIN Android 8.0 Car Stereo Double Din 4GB with GPS and WiFi, Android Auto, Support Fastboot, Backup Camera, 128GB USB SD, 7 inch Touch Screen

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079N9XDFT..._t3_B07GPG4SXC

Also- have you been able to get your side cameras and rear camera to automatically work? I really like that feature and am not sure if that will work with the Pioneer or the Pumpkin android radio.