Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #11935
Mirimar 35.2 loud furnace under bed

Have a 2016 35.2 mirimar rv the furnace is under bed when it runs sounds like a jet airplane any tips on queting unite insulation something ?

Old 09-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yes, I insulated mine some but it still has a roar to it - but it helped some. The fan noise is much quieter. So in the dinning area its not bad to watch TV but in the bedroom you can still hear the drone of the heater (My heater kinda close to the bedroom but really its under my fridge). I dont think there is much you can do about the drone but it helped some.

I was going to do an extensive posting on this subject soon.... maybe today..... so look for it soon.

Let us know if you figure out how to quiet the drone down.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #3

THOR #11935
I noticed my furnace is right underneath my bed and there’s an access door I got somebody did not have on all the way so I insulated it probably gonna put a rubber mat underneath the mattress and hope for the best
Old 09-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #4

THOR #12231
Yep, insulate it the best you can - but I would not expect to get ride of that drone. Make it hard to sleep in the RV for sure (Im a light sleeper). The only way to eliminate the sound from the bedroom is to relocate you heater to diff part of the RV and thats not feasible.

I wonder how the $500,000+ RV's do it? That would stink if they have the same problem we have with drone heater noise.

Perhaps they just used the heated floors to heat the entire RV? I have seen some with the aqua heaters or electic coils in the floor.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yep, insulate it the best you can - but I would not expect to get ride of that drone. Make it hard to sleep in the RV for sure (Im a light sleeper). The only way to eliminate the sound from the bedroom is to relocate you heater to diff part of the RV and that's not feasible.

I wonder how the $500,000+ RV's do it? That would stink if they have the same problem we have with drone heater noise.

Perhaps they just used the heated floors to heat the entire RV? I have seen some with the aqua heaters or electric coils in the floor.
Aqua-Hot systems have three to five zones of heat and not just the floors. Heat is supplied by a diesel burner or propane burner and an electric heating unit. Forced air systems require two blowers (one for burner air and one for coach air) which are noisy by design in the higher heat options. There is an alternative the Suburban SH series of propane heater are significantly quieter than the Dometics in my opinion.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Thats why I like my small electic heater for the campgrounds.... very quiet. You would think they would locaton the heaters in a better spot and insulate them better for sound (at least on the RV's with more storage space and higher price). If they could put them in one of the storage compartments at least most of the sound would be below the rv and not in it. Kinda like the generator sound.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #7

THOR #11935
Agree I’ll post after I install rubber padding unde mattress
Old 09-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #8

THOR #12231
I would also try to surround the heater and the cold air intake with some sort of sound absorbing insulation (within reason - needs to be fire resistant and install in such a way so its not a fire hazzard or restrict air flow).
Old 09-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #9

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Our 1998 Thor furnace had bad bearings/bushings in the motor. Every time it started it squealed. After warming up a bit it would quiet down. That thing would raise the dead! We used electric heaters a much as possible until we had the motor replaced.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Illinois
THOR #7085
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplacz2000 View Post
Have a 2016 35.2 miramar rv the furnace is under bed when it runs sounds like a jet airplane any tips on quieting unite insulation something ?
we have the same, but newer coach. We actually had the Bedroom duct moved to project more heat into the living area. It was heating the sliding door originally! And yes, it is LOUD

Michael
Old 09-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Best way to improve hot air distribution is with heat registers that have sliding controls. The ones I bought do a great job and are nice looking.
These are from Amazon Decor Grates

4.6 out of 5 stars**142Reviews

Decor Grates SPH210-RB Scroll Plated Register, 2-Inch by 10-Inch, Rubbed Bronze

PS. Doesn't help the noisy furnace though. At least you tell when it is running. :')