Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: thor 22FE
State: Georgia
THOR #3371
Roof ac with heat?

Has anyone replaced their roof ac units with a Coleman Mach 15 with heat strip or Mach 8 with heat strip. Any thoughts or reviews? Just wondering why use my LP vs campsite electric.
It's a 2016 class c unit with single roof air unit.

Thanks
Patrick

Old 10-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Haven't done that but we have a thermostat controlled upright ceramic type heater we plug in and save our LP. It works quite well. Picked it up at Home Depot.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Ours has the Coleman A.C. with heat pump option & works great until the outside temp gets to about 40 degrees then it blows cold air until the the furnace takes over. When the thermostat ambient falls 5 degrees below set point the furnace will override the heat pump, also when setting the thermostat raise it 3-4 degrees at a time or the furnace will fire up. If you live where the winter temps are moderate (not below 0 daily) it would be a good investment to save on some propane , but if it's very cold daily then you'll still be running the furnace.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Before going with heat strips determine how your plumbing system is heated during cold weather. My Challenger uses forced air from the furnace to heat the wet bay and tank compartments. My prior class c (not a Thor) had the water pump and whole house filter in a storage compartment heated by forced air. In both cases the furnace is required so heat strips in the AC would not keep those items from freezing in colder temps.

I'm not don't do it, but rather look at all aspects before spending the money.

Rather than heat strips I have been considering the Cheap Heat system which uses the existing furnace (not AC) duct work and runs off campground electric.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:59 AM   #5

Model: Tuscany 40RX
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1567
Most of these heat strips are only ~1500 watts. Much less than a stand alone electric heater. Not only are they insufficient for RV heating, you would be subjected to the air conditioner noise and luke warm air blowing around...

Save your money

2014 Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Webslave and dstankov are absolutely correct, save your money. Heat strip is ok on a "cool" morning but worthless any other time. If temps are below freezing you need the coach heater to keep the tanks warm unless your tanks have heating pads.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #7

Model: thor 22FE
THOR #3371
thanks all for the reply's. i think i will save myself some money and look at the freestanding ceramic heater option. we have a 20,000 btu sunbeam unit and it is just really noisy and there doesn't seem to be a replacement grill that i can use to redirect the air flow to the front of the coach instead of right into the bedroom. it is next to and below the fridge.

been out of touch without wifi doing some camping. sorry for the late response.

patrick