Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: New York
THOR #15036
Axis 25.2batteries

Is the engine battery tied into the two house batteries? House and engine batteries died overnite last week dry camping. Good thing I had my honda generator to recharge.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
They are indeed tied into each other but I thought there was some type of protection that would prevent them both becoming totally discharged by the same source. Maybe I misunderstood that part.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #3

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
For all you ever want to know on how the chassis and house batteries are chargesd, read this thread.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...when-3315.html
Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #4

State: California
THOR #10354
BIRD brain

As bevedfelker has stated: When the system is working properly, the BIRD relay will connect the house batteries to the chassis battery when either battery is seen to have a voltage greater than 13.1V (approx). The 13.1V is key because the either house or chassis battery output rest voltage under no charging conditions is below this voltage. The BIRD system senses when either battery is being charged and connects the battery circuits together. Once hooked together, the BIRD does not know where the charging is coming from but will remain connected until the voltage sensed between the two battery circuits drops below the 13.1V.

It is VERY important to know what items use each of the two battery systems so that both battery systems discharge below acceptable levels. You can identify these by turning your ignition key "on" with the engine off and with use/store in the store position. The working systems are running off of the chassis battery (dash radio, heater fan, chassis lighting systems etc. The other system work off of the chassis battery.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #5

THOR #15036
Axis 25.2 batteries

Ok so the engine battery is not isolated from house batteries. Is there a way to do that so engine battery isn't run down?
Old 08-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
On my 2017.5 Axis. I have a BIM 160 "battery isolation manager". Open hood right side. Had mine changed out on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190812_153312270.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	19613  
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #7

THOR #15036
Bim

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
On my 2017.5 Axis. I have a BIM 160 "battery isolation manager". Open hood right side. Had mine changed out on Monday.
Ok so this is on my Axis 25.2 from factory?
Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #8

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
Ok so this is on my Axis 25.2 from factory?
Yes, it should be. I believe all Axis/Vegas units have these.

I am posting a link to the page where you can see how this thing works. THIS is the document that I was remembering when I said that one thing should NOT be able to draw down both your house and coach batteries, even though they are connected.

Quoting from this document: "The Battery Isolation Manager
(BIM) isolates the two battery systems, chassis, and
coach, in a motorhome. This prevents loads in one
system from discharging both
. It also connects the two
battery systems together during charging. Both batteries
are charged if either is being charged. The coach
battery is charged while driving and the chassis battery
is charged while plugged into Shore Power at a
campground. "

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...ger-Rev7-1.pdf
Old 08-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Ok so the engine battery is not isolated from house batteries. Is there a way to do that so engine battery isn't run down?
They ARE isolated when no charging is taking place.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #10

THOR #15036
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Yes, it should be. I believe all Axis/Vegas units have these.

I am posting a link to the page where you can see how this thing works. THIS is the document that I was remembering when I said that one thing should NOT be able to draw down both your house and coach batteries, even though they are connected.

Quoting from this document: "The Battery Isolation Manager
(BIM) isolates the two battery systems, chassis, and
coach, in a motorhome. This prevents loads in one
system from discharging both
. It also connects the two
battery systems together during charging. Both batteries
are charged if either is being charged. The coach
battery is charged while driving and the chassis battery
is charged while plugged into Shore Power at a
campground. "

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...ger-Rev7-1.pdf
Guess mine isn't working then. So this would be a Thor warranty issue.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #11

THOR #15054
Quote:
Guess mine isn't working then. So this would be a Thor warranty issue.
Well, it COULD be. However, there is the possibility that you actually DID have two separate things going on that were drawing down both sets of batteries. I would definitely have it looked at by my dealer.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #12

THOR #1765
It is easy to check yourself if the coach and chassis batteries are disconnected or not. Some time after the engine has not run and the coach has not been plugged into shore power or on the generator, check the voltages of the coach and chassis batteries. The should be different. How different depends on how long since they have been charged and the load on each battery. Running 12v systems that are hooked up to your chassis battery will increase the difference you will see between the chassis and coach batteries. If the voltages are the same and remain the same, you have a problem Then start your engine, wait a few minutes and check the voltages again. They should now read the same - somewhere between 13.6-14.1v depending on how charged the batteries were when you started the engine. If they do, your system is working correctly - your batteries are hooked together and are both charging. When you turn off your engine, check the voltages again, several hours later, and they should again be different. Do the same thing while plugged into shore power and running your generator. The batteries again should be at the same voltage while being charged and slowly drift apart when the charging system is turned off. Dave you a trip to the dealer and them telling you your system is working correctly.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:09 AM   #13

THOR #15036
Lost power to outlets

Now I have lost power to the outlets whether running on rv generator or a outsde generator plugged in to rv. Checked fuses in coach all ok
Old 08-16-2019, 04:05 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
In our 2016;25.2 ,VEGAS it seems the chassis and coach separates at about 12.6-12.7, at this voltage if I start the engine the coach charges at 14.4 for a few minutes before the relay clicks in and both charge.

At 12.6-12.7 if I connect shore power or generator the coach batteries show 13.6 for a few minutes before the relay clicks and both charge.

I had to rewire the BIRD since it was wired wrong from the factory, but appears to work right now (except that my BIRD seems to wait until below 13.1 to separate the circuits)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:13 AM   #15

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IV...b_b_asin_image

This erased any concerns I had about what was doing what to what.

45 bucks. Cheap sleep.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:45 AM   #16

State: California
THOR #10354
Quote:
I did not mention one item. When the ignition is off, the BIRD will not connect it's battery to the house batteries, so the chassis battery will not be discharged. You can look at the BIRD and see the ignition input as one of the smaller wires connected to it.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:45 AM   #17

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
In our 2016;25.2 ,VEGAS it seems the chassis and coach separates at about 12.6-12.7, at this voltage if I start the engine the coach charges at 14.4 for a few minutes before the relay clicks in and both charge.

At 12.6-12.7 if I connect shore power or generator the coach batteries show 13.6 for a few minutes before the relay clicks and both charge.

I had to rewire the BIRD since it was wired wrong from the factory, but appears to work right now (except that my BIRD seems to wait until below 13.1 to separate the circuits)
That’s what the BIRD is designed to do. It seems to be working as it should. I had to rewire mine also. The chassis battery was not charging on shore power or generator before I rewired it.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:49 AM   #18

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I did not mention one item. When the ignition is off, the BIRD will not connect it's battery to the house batteries, so the chassis battery will not be discharged. You can look at the BIRD and see the ignition input as one of the smaller wires connected to it.
The BIRD will only connect the house and chassis batteries when the engine is turned on or on shore power or if the generator is working. There is a delay built in to the system before it activates the Trombetta and connects the two battery systems. There is also a short delay to disconnect the battery systems after the engine or generator is turned off or Shorepower is disconnected
Old 08-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #19
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
They are indeed tied into each other but I thought there was some type of protection that would prevent them both becoming totally discharged by the same source. Maybe I misunderstood that part.
You may be thinking...when you run your generator...it will quit when you hit quarter tank of gas...so you do not run out of fuel.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #20

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
You may be thinking...when you run your generator...it will quit when you hit quarter tank of gas...so you do not run out of fuel.
No, I specifically remember asking about this because in my first month of ownership, I accidentally drained my house batteries down to about 3V! When I asked why it didn't take my coach battery down with it, I was told about this "protection" from that. I just wish I could remember where or who I heard it from!!!