Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Axis/Vegas front curtains

This one will be a short one: It has always bugged me a little that the front curtains had velcro on the "inside" (towards the front) with nothing to stick to. I had thought about putting some on the night shade for it to stick to.

Then someone hit me on the head: If I swap the curtains left/right the velcro will stick to the velcro used to hold the curtains back. A quick mod, you do have to unscrew the "holdback" at the top and remove one of the rollers at the end to use for the holdback when they are swapped. Now the velcro has something to stick to! Well at least the middle one.

Anyone else's arranged that way?

(It really looks to me that they just grabbed a standard set of curtains for all their class A's and just used them..)

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #2

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Won't work in ours. One panel has the "male" Velcro and the other the "female". Only one side would stick.

In ours the lining on the driver's side curtain has already started to disintegrate so we're going to have some new curtains made. Better fabric, better lining, and better design! I'll post when we get them done.

Randy
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

Then someone hit me on the head: If I swap the curtains left/right the velcro will stick to the velcro used to hold the curtains back. A quick mod, you do have to unscrew the "holdback" at the top and remove one of the rollers at the end to use for the holdback when they are swapped. Now the velcro has something to stick to! Well at least the middle one.

Anyone else's arranged that way?

(It really looks to me that they just grabbed a standard set of curtains for all their class A's and just used them..)
My DW said to say, "Thanks!" for posting the quick mod you mention here since this was bugging her too. Swapped them out today and at least some of the velcro is now being utilized to close some of the gaps while extended for better privacy. Now, if I can just find some of the curtain hooks somewhere.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:27 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
The exterior curtains in our Vegas shredded in the Florida sun in less than a year, so my wife took them down, turned them around so that the gold is on the outside and sewed material to the new inside of the curtain. Looks great and you do not have to worry about new hangers or hooks.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:00 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
My DW said to say, "Thanks!" for posting the quick mod you mention here since this was bugging her too. Swapped them out today and at least some of the velcro is now being utilized to close some of the gaps while extended for better privacy. Now, if I can just find some of the curtain hooks somewhere.
Larry,

Have you tried calling Thor and asking them to send you some of the curtain hooks? If they don't have them maybe they can steer you in the direction of the manufacturer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:15 AM   #6

THOR #1123
Was able to find some on Amazon that are exact replicas.
Thanks Dave.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:21 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Can you post a link to them on Amazon? (Since ours deteriorated as well I may be replacing them sooner rather than later.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #8

THOR #1123
Jamie,

These are the ones I found the on the Amazon web site:

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-81...+curtain+hooks
Old 05-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Larry,

Thanks for the link. Those appear to be the same ones used on the Challenger drivers and passenger pleated shades. I do wish they had some type of clip to keep the shade on the hook.

These go on the shopping list of spare parts to order.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:06 AM   #10
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
In ours the lining on the driver's side curtain has already started to disintegrate so we're going to have some new curtains made. Better fabric, better lining, and better design! I'll post when we get them done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
The exterior curtains in our Vegas shredded in the Florida sun in less than a year, so my wife took them down, turned them around so that the gold is on the outside and sewed material to the new inside of the curtain. Looks great and you do not have to worry about new hangers or hooks.
The outer facing lining of mine disintegrated in less than 2 years... Only Florida sun was last winter... Only Michigan sun in summer. Poor quality in my opinion...
We've cut out the liner for now - but looking to replace.

Randy - what did you end up with? I've been looking at ones from CW - but would like to hear what others have used.

Oneilkeys - interesting idea - may end up doing the same depending on what else I find...

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #11

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
One of the things I always carry is a roll of "sticky back" velcro. Instead of trying to switch the curtains, why not just stick some of the other gender on one of the curtains?

BUT..
Thanks for the idea
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #12

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Gmc,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Been on a cruise.

We bought some nice drapery material and insulated blackout lining at a local fabric store that specializes in such things. My wife sowed up the curtains. I also replaced the tracks with longer ones so the curtains cover the back end of the windows, and we installed velcro on the back end of the curtains to keep them closed.

The new ones are nicer in all respects. The blackout lining really blocks heat as well as light, and the fabric is much nicer than the original.

There is a post on the forums somewhere with pictures. A search for things I have posted should find it.

Regards,

Randy
Old 01-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

Model: windsport 27k
THOR #1140
Hi we ordered our new curtains from camping world. We are very pleased with them. They use better curtain hooks makes them slide easy.