Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 03:43 AM   #1041
val

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Ohio
THOR #5131
Spear tire

I add spear tire in original lockation
Total cost $300 tire and wheel plus hardware $120
Best regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2953.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	4340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2955.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	4341  

Name:	IMG_2961.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	4342  

Old 03-29-2017, 04:18 AM   #1042

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Val,
Would you be so kind to explain the hardware you used to hang the spare? Part numbers, etc.? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #1043

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Sewer door

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Agree that it is not ideal but not a real big deal. What WAS a big deal were the self tapping screws used in the flange for the dump opening. I had my fingers mangled twice and then replaced all the sharp screws with stainless steel bolts, washers and lock nuts. No more blood.
Yeah experienced that pain myself
Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #1044

State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
Two new mods...small tray with cup holders and 12v massaging seat cushion.

Great mods! That cup holder is great! I must admit to having an obsession about cup holders in vehicles. I would also be interested in knowing if you purchased it or made it.
Sandy
Old 03-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #1045

THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Third radio sunscreen 3D print turned out great! Perfect fit and doesn't need sticky tape to hold it in place.

First print didn't have enough table contact and a corner lifted before it finished printing. Second print I added flanges to slide behind the radio edge. However the top flange was out of plane with the sides so the top didn't slide behind the radio bezel very well. The worst part is the flange wasn't in contact with the print bed so again, it came loose during the print. Getting that rib flat on the bed was enough to keep this attempt stuck for the whole print.

One comment I have about the plastic sink topic ... when doing dishes, it's quieter than others we've had

Very cool, my time seeing how a 3D printer solves a common problem. Thanks for sharing!
Sansy
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #1046

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgclub View Post
I have been looking for a sun shield for the radio in my 2017 Axis....wouldn't suppose you are selling them🙏🏻
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
Ditto! 👍🏻
I got the printer to learn about 3D printing aspects first hand. Printing things to sell is quite another matter. Some past 3D print projects, where I was on the sideline, would load a print file to places like Shapeways where people could order finished prints. The expense and round trip delivery times of those printing services is part of the reason I wanted my own open source based printer so my screw-ups over time wouldn't be as painful.

Since I'm just tinkering with stuff for fun, I'd welcome a PM and/or opening a thread on the topic.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:28 PM   #1047

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce View Post
Great mods! That cup holder is great! I must admit to having an obsession about cup holders in vehicles. I would also be interested in knowing if you purchased it or made it.
Sandy
Amazon - its was posted here by someone else so it was not my original idea. I put a piece of wood underneath to mount the post holder to the tray.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:49 PM   #1048

THOR #4184
Thanks for the link and wood under mount idea! Sandy
Old 03-30-2017, 12:14 AM   #1049

THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Can you get out of captain chair with table in place?
I wondered about that too. I checked out Baddad53 link to the tray (thank you very much) and it is 14.5 X9 inches.

The Thor (2017 model ) table top that goes there is 18X24 and we have driven with it in place, a bit on the tight side , but if you twist when you get up you can get out of the captain's chair. Not something however I would regularly do. the tray is half the width so I do not see problem. Of course, this is a matter of preference , but is doable .
Old 03-30-2017, 01:04 AM   #1050
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
[QUOTE=Baddad53;62232]Amazon - its was posted here by someone else so it was not my original idea. I put a piece of wood underneath to mount the post holder to the tray.

WE LIKE THAT TRAY .. thanks for posting !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:07 AM   #1051

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
front Hellwig swaybar

Installed the front Hellwig sway bar and the 106-40 front Sumos, the whole job only took 30 minutes. Went for a short drive after the install and immediately noticed a difference in how the Axis felt in a corner...no feeling of top heaviness.
Attached a pic showing the extreme difference in diameter between the stock sway bar and the new Hellwig, and a picture showing the additional clearance between the front tire and the wheel well. I was surprised that the Sumos picked up the front end as much as they did, however I expect as the rubber compresses over time the additional clearance will be very minimal.
I should receive the rear Hellwig sway bar Friday so I hope to install it this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170329_164817.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	4346   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170329_185818.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	4347  

Old 03-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #1052
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
Installed the front Hellwig sway bar and the 106-40 front Sumos, the whole job only took 30 minutes. Went for a short drive after the install and immediately noticed a difference in how the Axis felt in a corner...no feeling of top heaviness.
Attached a pic showing the extreme difference in diameter between the stock sway bar and the new Hellwig, and a picture showing the additional clearance between the front tire and the wheel well. I was surprised that the Sumos picked up the front end as much as they did, however I expect as the rubber compresses over time the additional clearance will be very minimal.
I should receive the rear Hellwig sway bar Friday so I hope to install it this weekend.
Which front and rear Hellwig Sway Bars did you order (product #) .. presuming your Axis is on the E450 chassis ...
thank you
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-30-2017, 01:23 AM   #1053

THOR #5875
VKB,
Yes our Axis is on a E450 chassis.
The front bar is a 7718 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and the rear is the 7180 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-30-2017, 01:29 AM   #1054

THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by val View Post
I add spear tire in original lockation
Total cost $300 tire and wheel plus hardware $120
Best regards
VAL,
My apologies if you are already aware, in your pics the tire is mounted upside down. If the tire is flipped over then it will pull up tight to the cross bars and that will prevent the tire from swinging around in transit.
I like the simplicity of your design it looks great.

RJ
Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #1055

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
That's the way to do it and do it right
Old 03-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #1056
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
VKB,
Yes our Axis is on a E450 chassis.
The front bar is a 7718 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and the rear is the 7180 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thank you !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #1057

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Illinois
THOR #6402
I purchased 2 oversized cup holders (so it can hold bigger cups and bottles but yet the very bottom is standard can size) and a 3-3/4" hole saw and arbor from eBay. Last night I measured, taped top and bottom for safety, and drilled the cup holes. I love it. This will be good for passengers when traveling and when camping. It seems like cupholders belong on this table. See before and after...

Name:	IMG_20170329_165008.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	4355

Name:	IMG_20170330_073931.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	4356
Old 03-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #1058

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
Wow, I installed the same Sumo's as you but it didn't raise it up as much as your pictured indicated. But I do like the improvement to the ride quality.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #1059
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah our Sumo's didn't change the height of the front of the coach by any appreciable amount at all.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #1060

THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Wow, I installed the same Sumo's as you but it didn't raise it up as much as your pictured indicated. But I do like the improvement to the ride quality.
I'm not sure if the sway bar may have something to do with the additional clearance although I don't see how, I don't have any expectations that the additional height is permanent.
I will have to see if I gain some clearance in the back of the coach after installing the rear sway bar, and I have my doubts about that. I'm not planning on adding rear Sumos at this point, as I believe the front was more critical due to the more forward weight loading of my Axis and I wanted to take care of the front end before I have it aligned next week.