Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2019, 12:25 AM   #1421
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Cool, welcome.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #1422

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Kentucky
THOR #13793
Slide Floor cover inside--outside

I have a 25.5 and am replacing the sofa with the RecPro 67" theater seat. So I removed the sofa yesterday and quite surprised at the hole and its covering found inside to outside. Mine is a heavy burlap type material screwed to the outside floor and then run inside and is then closed to critters and weather by use of velcro. Inside it also provides some kind of routing or protection to the 2 wires and 1 hose that run into the slide floor.
So the question is: Has anyone removed this covering and replaced with something better?
2 pics attached---one is the inside floor---the other is the outside floor.

My thought was to remove all of it and on the outside put a thin sheet of metal and attach with screws---and on the inside some insulation (but not enough to restrict the wires/hose) and then cover the floor with some sheet metal or other?
Your ideas?

For those that did this replacement was there any interference with the wires/hose to the theater seat floor frame?

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide floor inside (Medium).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	15705   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide floor outside (Medium).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	15706  

Old 02-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #1423
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
If I were to do any modifications to this I'd watch carefully what those hoses do while the slide moves in and out before designing something new. (Would probably setup my phone or some other camera to capture video of the slide moving from both inside and outside so I'd have a reference.)
Old 02-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #1424

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Tjk - that is an awesome mod to your bed. That the way it should be been from the factory.

Keep the mods comming..... We love seeing new ideas and fixes for common problems.

ETCMSS - That is strange. I think I would try and cover with something more rigid as well. Will a thin piece of wood work or do you need the streath of metal for your new recliner to sit on?

Let us know how you fix it so others can learn too! Thanks.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #1425

THOR #13793
slide floor cover

For the outside floor there is nothing that goes through so thin plywood or sheet metal would work fine.
Jamie does point out ===care must be applied to the wires/hose that go through the inside floor slotted opening. You do not want to create a binding point for these.

I will post my mod.

Still would like to hear about the inside cover options and the theater seat frame vs the wires/hose.

Gary
Old 02-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #1426
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcmss View Post
I have a 25.5 and am replacing the sofa with the RecPro 67" theater seat. So I removed the sofa yesterday and quite s.

My thought was to remove all of it and on the outside put a thin sheet of metal and attach with screws---and on the inside some insulation (but not enough to restrict the wires/hose) and then cover the floor with some sheet metal or other?
Your ideas?

For those that did this replacement was there any interference with the wires/hose to the theater seat floor frame?

Gary

Ron read your post...his thought is...Is that hole covered with a porous material in order for heat to possibly keep those hoses and wires pliable in cold weather ? Having not seen the issue nor do we have that issue on our 24.1...just a thought !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #1427

THOR #13793
the hole in the slide

Ron & Kay thanks for the response on the hole in the floor.
I considered the existing materials may provide some insulation and given the thickness of materials did not think it would do much to help keep that area any warmer for pliability.

For those following the hole dilemma---it does get in the way of the solid feet for one section of the theater seat and the feet on that side of the center section. I have to do something to add sturdy floor material (like 1/8 or 1/16 sheet metal) or relocate and extend the feet in order to let the assembled theater seat sit on a solid surface and allow the 2 wires and 1 hose to go under the frame. Need about an inch of clearance. Am also considering moving the area feet supports a few inches to avoid the weight being at the new covered floor.
Gary
Old 02-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #1428

THOR #13793
the new theater seat gets installed

So I worked through the dilemma of the hole in the slide floor.
Removed that burlap velcro cover. (see pic)
Covered the majority of it with 16 gauge sheet metal to provide more support under the front seat unit feet. I left a cutout for the 2 wires and hose.
Without it one side of the feet would be over the hole and not supported. Attached with about 1/2 inch screws.
Removed the window vertical shade pieces since they get in the way of the back section reclining.
Assembled the three sections, slid the backs on and test fitted operations. Good to go.
Still need to install the brackets for frame to floor. and install the outside slide floor sheet metal cover plate (when it warms up a bit.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hole in slide floor (Medium).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	15749   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide wiring in floor (Medium).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	15750  

Name:	theater seat installed  (Medium).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	15751  
Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #1429

THOR #12231
That looks great. Nice job.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #1430

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #14528
Inverter ? about 2019 vegas 25.5

just bought 25.5
it doesn't have the traditional 2 option electrics I was used to in bigger diesel rigs where I could run most stuff on house batteries or shore power.
instead I have to run generator to watch tv in a parking lot at baseball game etc
was hoping to modify to introduce option to dry camp with light elec loads like tvs specifically. I understand there will be limits like no microwave, heater possibly, but right now kids cant watch tv in back without turning on generator even though i'm running down road at 65mph
Any suggestions or what is simpliest tack to deal with this...I'm sure others have figured this out
Please help. Thx
Old 02-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #1431

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldballcoach View Post
just bought 25.5
it doesn't have the traditional 2 option electrics I was used to in bigger diesel rigs where I could run most stuff on house batteries or shore power.
instead I have to run generator to watch tv in a parking lot at baseball game etc
was hoping to modify to introduce option to dry camp with light elec loads like tvs specifically. I understand there will be limits like no microwave, heater possibly, but right now kids cant watch tv in back without turning on generator even though i'm running down road at 65mph
Any suggestions or what is simpliest tack to deal with this...I'm sure others have figured this out
Please help. Thx
Many Vegas/Axis owners have done the AIMs Inverter modification
Very inexpensive (under $200), DIY project that will allow you to run the TVs and several outlets without using ShorePower or Genny.
Use the ThorForum search function for more info, but also watch these 3 links on utube to get started...
1. https://youtu.be/TjpDesjsME8
2. https://youtu.be/gQ6a4gNyOd0
3. https://youtu.be/sSb6vC6orzM
Old 02-24-2019, 10:26 PM   #1432

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #14528
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Many Vegas/Axis owners have done the AIMs Inverter modification
Very inexpensive (under $200), DIY project that will allow you to run the TVs and several outlets without using ShorePower or Genny.
Use the ThorForum search function for more info, but also watch these 3 links on utube to get started...
1. https://youtu.be/TjpDesjsME8
2. https://youtu.be/gQ6a4gNyOd0
3. https://youtu.be/sSb6vC6orzM
very helpful
I hope to be able to return the favor someday. I will get to work, thank you!
Old 02-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #1433

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldballcoach View Post
just bought 25.5
Please help. Thx
Might I suggest that you start a new thread for this project. Unfortunately I know of no way to simply move it. My point is that what you want involves a wide array of options and you'll find a lot of input from the users here. You'll want to keep it all in one "location".

- Just to run a tv while on the road? Yes, get an inverter that's large enough (watts/amps output) with clean power (pure sine wave) to protect the electronics. The cheap ones are modified sine wave and can destroy the controls

- To run more appliances you need a larger inverter, more battery capacity. If you dry camp without shore power you'll need to keep the batteries charged, think solar charging but that's another array of decisions. The more you study what's involved the better you can decide how to proceed. Most of this has been discussed here before so use the search function to help.

Here's a nice primer to plan your electrical expansion: https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how...need-on-my-rv/
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #1434

Model: axis
State: Ohio
THOR #12044
Hi all
We had our Axis 2018 24.1 since July 2018. We love it to travel in it. I Have been reading this forum since then. So I've installed a few things that have really helped, but need some advise from other Axis / Vegas owners. My Suspension installs and adjustments so far. Road Master steering Damper, front summo springs, and Ford alignment.
These have greatly improved the drive ability of the unit.
We intend to eventually tow a car, so While I am upgrading the rear suspension for ride and help with sway. what is better to put in?

Rear summos or Firestone Air rides?

Rear Helwig track bar or anti sway bar?

and last will replacing the factory shocks help improve the ride.

thanks in advance for your help this forum has already made our first MH more fun and more usable.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #1435

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertconley View Post
Hi all
We had our Axis 2018 24.1 since July 2018. We love it to travel in it. I Have been reading this forum since then. So I've installed a few things that have really helped, but need some advise from other Axis / Vegas owners. My Suspension installs and adjustments so far. Road Master steering Damper, front summo springs, and Ford alignment.
These have greatly improved the drive ability of the unit.
We intend to eventually tow a car, so While I am upgrading the rear suspension for ride and help with sway. what is better to put in?

Rear summos or Firestone Air rides?

Rear Helwig track bar or anti sway bar?

and last will replacing the factory shocks help improve the ride.

thanks in advance for your help this forum has already made our first MH more fun and more usable.

I have SUMO’s & Helwigs on both front and rear
Any mods done on front are most noticeable.

My suggestion...
- start with SUMO’s on rear. That’s the most cost effective modification.
- do not add Air-Springs. Not worth it IMO
- Helwigs are a nice mod, but abt $600 (parts only for front & rear). Will be a $1000+ install if some one does it for you vs DIY

Bottomline...re-evaluate after the SUMO’s are installed on rear. You may find that you are happy with those results
Old 02-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #1436

THOR #12231
I installed the Aims 1200 watt inverter on my 2017 Axis and I love it. If you pick the NON - GFI breakers to power with the inverter it will take care of the two inside TV's (and other outlets) but you can do some custom wiring to have the outside TV work on the inverter as well. Many writeups on this subject.

I have the front sway bar and rear track arm on my Axis as well. I love the results but I been also thinking of adding the rear sway bar as well.

The track arm locates the rear axle in place so it dont move side to side... this helps with "tail wag" on the interstate .... esp if your towing.

But the rear sway bar will help even further with sway control.... Im just not sure how much more it will help over what I have currently.

I dont have the Sumos (im afraid they will make the ride to rough for me... I like my ride like it is now) but I plan on upgrading my shocks in the near future.

You have found the right place to ask question and research about any mod that you want to do to your RV.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #1437
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
You really don't need the air bags in the rear for towing the car as towing a car (either via a dolly or 4-down) doesn't have any tongue weight and thus doesn't add any weight to the rear of the rig.

Towing the car on a full trailer would be a different story.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #1438

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

I have the front sway bar and rear track arm on my Axis as well. I love the results but I been also thinking of adding the rear sway bar as well.

The track arm locates the rear axle in place so it dont move side to side... this helps with "tail wag" on the interstate .... esp if your towing.

But the rear sway bar will help even further with sway control.... Im just not sure how much more it will help over what I have currently.
Help me on this one...
I cannot find a Helwig rear track arm
Helwig makes a rear sway bar, that’s what I have installed.

Please tell me about your Helwig rear track arm.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #1439

THOR #12231
Well I have not looked latley so im NOT sure Helwig makes a rear "track bar".

I purchased a Blue Ox rear track bar (a local guy sold his Axis so he had brand new bar still in the box for half price).

Works great but the directions in the box were backwards (Left = Right...LOL). So watch that if you purchase this brand.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #1440

THOR #13362
Ok
So then you have Helwig front sway bar only
A TrackBar doesn’t do the same thing as a sway bar
The rear sway bar would be a huge add for you

Unless, of course, you put yellow SUMOs on the rear instead.