Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #1801

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2 - E-450
State: Virginia
THOR #5259
Just finished installing a second cigar lighter plug, this time on the driver's side dashboard of our 2017 Thor Axis 25.2 to power a Pyle GPS driven speedo, clock and compass in preparation for tomorrow's trip to visit some friends and relatives in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. I also installed a rear view mirror mount (so I can see what goes bump in the night behind me), but I will not hang the mirror until just before we leave to give the glue plenty of time to dry.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #1802

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
Has anyone replaced love seat? Love seat that came on coach is so uncomfortable. I want to change to lazy boy reclining love seat. Hesitating because I want to be sure weight is ok, I haven’t found anything that says what weight limit may be. Loveseat is on our slide. We have the axis 25.1
Thanks
Vikki
Old 11-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #1803

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&D axis View Post
Has anyone replaced love seat? Love seat that came on coach is so uncomfortable. I want to change to lazy boy reclining love seat. Hesitating because I want to be sure weight is ok, I haven’t found anything that says what weight limit may be. Loveseat is on our slide. We have the axis 25.1
Thanks
Vikki

Yes Vikki, quite a few people on here have replaced the pull out couch bed with nice recliners in their 24.1...One of them is JamieGeek...You can find a lot of posts on here about it.....
Old 11-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #1804

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Handyman View Post
Just finished installing a second cigar lighter plug, this time on the driver's side dashboard of our 2017 Thor Axis 25.2 to power a Pyle GPS driven speedo, clock and compass in preparation for tomorrow's trip to visit some friends and relatives in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. I also installed a rear view mirror mount (so I can see what goes bump in the night behind me), but I will not hang the mirror until just before we leave to give the glue plenty of time to dry.

You can never have too many power outlets for some reason. Love your ideal going to do it. Wife goes crazy when I tell her drilling holes in it. Lol
My other power outlet on the dash doesn't work HDMI it's the one feeds into the back of the radio. I don't know if the radio is bad or the plug is. Thanks for your submission I love Thor forms.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #1805
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&D axis View Post
Thanks
Vikki
25.1 or 24.1? (Your profile says 24.1 but your post says 25.1?)

We did replace the couch in our 24.1 with double recliner's from Shop4Seats.

Haven't had any weight issues with the coach (its a pretty small slide I wouldn't expect to have any problems given all the stuff Thor puts in the larger slides!).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #1806

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
Thank you. I did look for a tread about replacement of love seat , must be using it wrong.
I know the love seat will fit just didn’t want to put too much weight on it. Thanks for the info
Vikki
Old 11-09-2019, 02:18 AM   #1807

Model: axis
State: Ohio
THOR #12044
Magnum stand alone AGS added to Axis 24.1

I just added a Magnum AGS stand alone system to our 24.1
Dealer wanted 750.00 for unit and install.
I bought from Amazon for 199.00 and I installed it in about 3 hrs.
It took 2 calls one to Thor for a wiring diagram of existing hardware.
It was not to hard to wire, all of the connections are in a close proximity of each other ( just connect to existing wires, it did take one call to Magnum support because an error in the wiring diagram that I got from online.
I will include the wiring fix diagram.
We travel with a pet and mamma get nervous about heat in the mh when we are site seeing.
The ags turns on the generator at 75 degrees runs for 1.5 hrs then turns off. If temp goes past 75 again it turns it on again. ( air conditioner has to be set to on and a temp lower than 75)

Also if house batteries drop below 11.5 volts gen start to charge them up.

this function is built into the 2019 units.
Hellwig sway bars F&R
love the easy quite drive.
robertconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:27 AM   #1808

THOR #12044
AGS pictures

pictures did not post before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191108_171615.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	21338   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191108_210809.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	21339  

Name:	20191108_174844.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	21341   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191108_175005.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	21342  

Hellwig sway bars F&R
Old 11-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #1809

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Waste disposal system

After four years my flow jet macerator pump failed. When I went to replace it I found that Flowjet now has a portable, detachable pump that fits directly onto the outflow pipe and is short enough that you can leave it permanently in the compartment, but easy enough to detach (if you want to) to clean and oil it for long term storage. It also has an attachment to backflush the black and gray tanks. The direction say you an use a regular garden hose for the hose, but I used the old hose that can with my original Clean Dump system. Not shown is a detachable on/off button on a 3’ cord, that I keep inside. I also installed quick detach wires so I could easily remove the pump. I wired it directly to the house batteries thru a 20 amp fuse.
So, for $209 plus the hose and wiring, you can forgo the smelly, dirty waste pipe and pump out in less than half the time with a totally enclosed system. Since the pump is easily detachable, if you stay somewhere for a long period of time, you can hook up you waste system directly to the campgrounds system if you want to,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D08C23EB-4935-4E49-B5F6-1F76B893C8B3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	21370   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E5E89C0-B5AB-4F0B-80EF-97E85637194E.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	21371  

Name:	12916EE1-FBE7-4E90-B2DB-7C6A01D181F0.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	21372   Click image for larger version

Name:	B1E779E7-95B1-4554-B6DD-123BC51771F1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	21373  

Old 11-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #1810

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The Xmas tree was for DW. The old pump apparently was leaking a bit before it failed and that is directly below the couch. I never smelled it al all, but I wish I had listened to her nose. Would have save me a 100 mile detour to a Camping World in NH. At least they don’t have any tax.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #1811

THOR #12044
best ever

you are so right.
I have done a similar install.
Made a small 3 inch tube to connect the macerator and a clear L .
Have been using it for more than a year with zero issues or leakage.
I do dump at home with a 3/4 dedicated garden hose. I did drill a hole in the house foundation and installed a 1 inch pipe with a p trap on the inside wall to a sewer clean out in the basement of the house.
other than attaching the 3/4 hose to the house there is no other handling of the system components.

The entire system can be disassembled in about 5 minutes if maintenance is necessary.

I really like your solution as well, very easy to connect and run. I really Like Easy wwwhen it comes to waste disposal.
I try for the no touch approach. lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191105_145303.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	21374   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191105_145312.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	21375  

Name:	20191105_145409.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	21376  
Hellwig sway bars F&R
Old 11-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #1812

THOR #12044
I have also put a tank heater pad under the compartment. when I turn on the black tank heater pad it turns on that pad as well. I used gorilla duct tape to seal the compartment to make it mostly air tight. In the winter when traveling I have a outside temp module in the compartment. At outside temps of 10 to 15 the compartment will be 40 to 45 degrees.
Hellwig sway bars F&R
Old 11-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #1813

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertconley View Post
I have also put a tank heater pad under the compartment. when I turn on the black tank heater pad it turns on that pad as well. I used gorilla duct tape to seal the compartment to make it mostly air tight. In the winter when traveling I have a outside temp module in the compartment. At outside temps of 10 to 15 the compartment will be 40 to 45 degrees.
Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. I was going to install the elbow heaters.
I'll order one of your pads today.
(I have a cubic crap-ton of insulation. I'll wrap that wetbay with some of it)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:49 AM   #1814

THOR #12044
Question Axis Mods

Ok I can't find an answer to my question from the web or RV places.
we have a 24.1 Axis. I wish to change my house batteries to 100 amp lithium. no change for the vehicle battery.

Do I need to change settings on the factory battery charger? Are there other things that need to be changed as well?

I have future plans like solar 400 watts, 3,000 watts Inverter and auto transfer switch just to run the Microwave and Wife's Espresso machine whiles going down the road.
Hellwig sway bars F&R
Old 11-14-2019, 01:56 AM   #1815

THOR #13932
The lithium do not require a float charge.
But
There's a problem with you putting them in the same place as the old batteries.
You'll need self regulating lithium or you'll ruin them the first time they get cold.

I think
Rvgeeks
On youtube cover it.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:06 AM   #1816

THOR #12044
by self regulating you are saying the batteries that heat them selves.
Do the Battle Born have that feature?
Hellwig sway bars F&R
Old 01-07-2020, 01:35 AM   #1817

THOR #14267
Mods to 2018 Thor Axis

My husband and I purchased our 2018 Thor Axis 24.1 in November 2018. Though we love our RV, it has not been problem free. During our walkthrough, the salesman said the refrigerator would cool down to temp in an hour or so, it still was not cooling after five days. We had it serviced locally under the warranty.

My husband is very handy and can build anything so I thought I'd share the mods we have made during our first year.

1. Upgraded the software on the Axxera radio so it stopped cutting out when we turned on the turn signals.
2. Replaced the two heavy tables with three lighter, more useful tables. Having two at the couch allows much better access to the couch. They are attached slightly off center to allow them to swing close to the table for eating. These smaller tables now easily slide in, and store next to the couch.
1. Built a new side storage console for the passenger seat that fits cups, magazines, the speaker and is more useful.
2. Built a new side console for the driver seat that is higher, fits cups and placed the windshield wiper controls there. The current location was hard to use and distracting.
3. Built a wooden console with cup holders and a large drawer between the two front seats.
4. Attached and repaired all the heat vents. Several were not connected from the factory.
5. Added insulation to the doghouse. There was none.
6. Added a spare tire on the outside, under the rear bunks.
7. Straightened, and adjusted the driver’s seat back a few inches. It had been installed crooked from the factory.
8. Added a shower dispenser to shower and water filter at external water connection.
9. Replaced the hose on the shower to a flexible one and added a hook to attach to the ceiling.
10. Added shelves and a magazine rack to the rear/side walls of the bedroom.
11. Added clear plexiglass fronts (with space at bottom to drain) to all the shower shelves so that we could store other toiletries (razor, scrungie, bath cleaners, etc) in the shower. This was a wonderful addition as it added lots permanent & visible bathroom storage.
12. Added broom/clothes hooks and toothbrush holders to the bathroom.
13. Added a magnetic latch by the front door for quick access to a flashlight.
14. Added the Campco bar to the screen door.
15. Replaced the TV brackets for both inside TV’s with ones that rotate and tilt for better viewing.
16. Purchased two folding ottomans for storage. When folded, they store perfectly in front of the passenger seat and create the perfect passenger footrest when traveling. This solved the problem with the passenger seat being too high.
17. Purchased a small foldable step stool to place in front of the bed. It was hard enough to get into the bed, but we also added a mattress topper which added another 3 inches, so the step stool was needed.
18. Replaced the thermostat on the a/c with a Honeywell digital programmable one to stop the radical temperature swings.
19. Added a large automatic clock that includes the outdoor temperatures. When traveling, we store the sensor in the refrigerator so we don’t leave it behind, and we can easily see that it is working properly.
20. Purchased a small digital thermometer for the freezer.
21. We use fabric bins in all the overheads for storage in the bedroom. They are labeled and it makes it very easy to load/unload and see what’s stored there.
22. Added a small shoe rack next to the inside front step (just behind the passenger seat).
23. Added a ham radio, mount for iPad (navigation) and portable speaker to front dash to improve communication and navigation.

Still on the to-do list
1. Resolve why the Audible and Chirp Apps do not play without cutting in and out on the front radio.
2. Replace the couch chairs with recliners.

We appreciate all the wonderful ideas and modifications that have been shared in this forum. As you see, we have already put many of them to good use - while adding some others we thought of as we traveled.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:58 AM   #1818

THOR #13932
We never did get audible or kindle to work on our axxera. Always cut out. Bluetooth, cable, and USB, all cut out.
We just finally did away with it.
The new radio also fixed the lag in the cameras.

Here's the radio I chose.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/sho...&postcount=186
It reads books perfectly now.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:59 AM   #1819
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:55 AM   #1820

State: Texas
THOR #15881
Pictures Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired&LovingIt View Post
My husband and I purchased our 2018 Thor Axis 24.1 in November 2018. Though we love our RV, it has not been problem free. During our walkthrough, the salesman said the refrigerator would cool down to temp in an hour or so, it still was not cooling after five days. We had it serviced locally under the warranty.

My husband is very handy and can build anything so I thought I'd share the mods we have made during our first year.

1. Upgraded the software on the Axxera radio so it stopped cutting out when we turned on the turn signals.
2. Replaced the two heavy tables with three lighter, more useful tables. Having two at the couch allows much better access to the couch. They are attached slightly off center to allow them to swing close to the table for eating. These smaller tables now easily slide in, and store next to the couch.
1. Built a new side storage console for the passenger seat that fits cups, magazines, the speaker and is more useful.
2. Built a new side console for the driver seat that is higher, fits cups and placed the windshield wiper controls there. The current location was hard to use and distracting.
3. Built a wooden console with cup holders and a large drawer between the two front seats.
4. Attached and repaired all the heat vents. Several were not connected from the factory.
5. Added insulation to the doghouse. There was none.
6. Added a spare tire on the outside, under the rear bunks.
7. Straightened, and adjusted the driver’s seat back a few inches. It had been installed crooked from the factory.
8. Added a shower dispenser to shower and water filter at external water connection.
9. Replaced the hose on the shower to a flexible one and added a hook to attach to the ceiling.
10. Added shelves and a magazine rack to the rear/side walls of the bedroom.
11. Added clear plexiglass fronts (with space at bottom to drain) to all the shower shelves so that we could store other toiletries (razor, scrungie, bath cleaners, etc) in the shower. This was a wonderful addition as it added lots permanent & visible bathroom storage.
12. Added broom/clothes hooks and toothbrush holders to the bathroom.
13. Added a magnetic latch by the front door for quick access to a flashlight.
14. Added the Campco bar to the screen door.
15. Replaced the TV brackets for both inside TV’s with ones that rotate and tilt for better viewing.
16. Purchased two folding ottomans for storage. When folded, they store perfectly in front of the passenger seat and create the perfect passenger footrest when traveling. This solved the problem with the passenger seat being too high.
17. Purchased a small foldable step stool to place in front of the bed. It was hard enough to get into the bed, but we also added a mattress topper which added another 3 inches, so the step stool was needed.
18. Replaced the thermostat on the a/c with a Honeywell digital programmable one to stop the radical temperature swings.
19. Added a large automatic clock that includes the outdoor temperatures. When traveling, we store the sensor in the refrigerator so we don’t leave it behind, and we can easily see that it is working properly.
20. Purchased a small digital thermometer for the freezer.
21. We use fabric bins in all the overheads for storage in the bedroom. They are labeled and it makes it very easy to load/unload and see what’s stored there.
22. Added a small shoe rack next to the inside front step (just behind the passenger seat).
23. Added a ham radio, mount for iPad (navigation) and portable speaker to front dash to improve communication and navigation.

Still on the to-do list
1. Resolve why the Audible and Chirp Apps do not play without cutting in and out on the front radio.
2. Replace the couch chairs with recliners.

We appreciate all the wonderful ideas and modifications that have been shared in this forum. As you see, we have already put many of them to good use - while adding some others we thought of as we traveled.
Would love to see pictures of of the three new consoles and three new tables. These all sound like outstanding modifications.