Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2017, 01:05 AM   #1
Rox

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #9492
Axxera keep or replace?

Ok, first ever camping trip, had a great time except I may have blown a fuse or done something else to my Axxera AV615BHM radio. Note, I was in the midst of running down the problem when I messed up and did some damage to the wiring that I can't fix with what I currently have. So I have decided to take to someone with more knowledge and smaller hands to fix or replace. Thoughts?

Old 10-29-2017, 01:34 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My Axxera seems to be fine but others dislike them intensely. I recently purchased a pretty equivalent JVC head unit from Crutchfield for just $143. Too be sure, it was a discontinued and factory reconditioned unit but new, unopened, Pioneer models are available fro about $185 on up. Likely even the cheapest will be “better” than the Axxera. I bought my JVC for an old Nissan Sentra that is our second car in case anyone wonders. If you liked your Axxera before you broke it and didn’t fundamentally injure it it might be better to fix it though.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I added a sub woofer and new speakers to ours and now the sound is great. If you just damaged a few wires, keep them from shorting out and take to an auto sound shop. While there you can decide what to do but if your coach is like my Hurricane the factory speakers are the worst of the worst.

Good luck and safe travels.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 23h
State: Colorado
THOR #5933
I shorted out some wires to my Axxera radio once and it stopped working. I disconnected the positive terminal off my starting battery for 5 minutes and made sure my house batteries were on "Store". After reconnecting the batteries, the radio came back to life! Give that a try...
Old 10-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Also note that Thor will also fuse the radio at your 12V fuse panel near the converter. Normally labelled Audio/Video.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #6

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Had my Axxera radio replaced about a week ago under warranty. Never worked right from day one, finally went out completely. New one seems to work good. If was not replaced under warranty, would have purchased something different.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:32 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I have the same model in my ACE 30.2 and I like it. Everything seems to work on it so I'm impressed. Remote works great. I know there are better units, Pioneer, Kenwood, Polk but if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:53 AM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We are happy with our Axxera...no problems...speakers are not an issue for us as we have Bluetooth speakers.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
Rox

State: Missouri
THOR #9492
Update, took it to a professional, all visible fuses are good, however he found another fuse behind the fuse panel below the bed, it was blown. Good news, however it did not protect my radio, bad news, so I am replacing it. He is giving me options in the morning.