Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor 29M Hurricane
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7934
engine shroud noise insulation

has anyone done anything to reduce engine noise under the shroud?

Old 08-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK52 View Post
A search for "engine noise" returns 216 threads.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Here is the thread I started when I did the Challenger

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...in-1515-3.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Yes - Dynamat
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yes, tons of writeups on this mod.

For best results use the heavy duty 50 mil Dynomat asphalt type insulation followed up by the 3/4 inch thick "Fat Mat" (or any other brands you like for the price).

The Name brands IMO are sticky-er and have less odor (I have tried 4 diff brands over the years). But they all lose odor over time so no worries.

Cover the inside of your dog house as well as the ENTIRE fire wall and under your dash (access from under the hood). I was very impressed with the results on my Axis. I also found other areas to add sound and heat insulation over the years. It all adds up. Not as quiet as a DP but very livable.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yes, tons of writeups on this mod.

For best results use the heavy duty 50 mil Dynomat asphalt type insulation followed up by the 3/4 inch thick "Fat Mat" (or any other brands you like for the price).

The Name brands IMO are sticky-er and have less odor (I have tried 4 diff brands over the years). But they all lose odor over time so no worries.

Cover the inside of your dog house as well as the ENTIRE fire wall and under your dash (access from under the hood). I was very impressed with the results on my Axis. I also found other areas to add sound and heat insulation over the years. It all adds up. Not as quiet as a DP but very livable.
YES! We were one of the people whose Vegas had zero insulation under the “doghouse”. We added some Fat Mat hood liner. I wish we had doubled up with dynomat like Road suggested but we might redo it one day. Even with just the 3/4” FatMat the improvement was noticeable. Just yesterday I took some of the Frost King duct insulation we bought at Lowe’s and installed it under the dash on the passenger side inside the RV. Be sure to get the kind that is not fiberglass. I wasn’t up to the challenge of trying to install it under the driver’s side. There are a lot more wires and cables over there but I did slide some in between the accelerator and the side of the console. My husband started the engine and we were both shocked at how much quieter the engine noise was! We didn’t drive it so that will probably change it a bit.

I looked at trying to add some FatMat to the dash under the hood but it’s August in SE Texas. I’ll have to wait until it’s cooler. I’ll also probably have to take some contortion classes seriously, how do you manage to get up in there?

Finally, can anyone tell me what the firewall looks like and where it is located? I have tried to research it for myself but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks,
Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
I did precisely what LWR suggested at the time and I am very happy with the results. My dog house was also uninsulated as well as dash AC not hooked up. It was a scorching 7 hour drive from South Florida in August. Dog house is cool to the touch and it’s quieter than the diesel sprinter van I had previously.
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #8

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
I did precisely what LWR suggested at the time and I am very happy with the results. My dog house was also uninsulated as well as dash AC not hooked up. It was a scorching 7 hour drive from South Florida in August. Dog house is cool to the touch and it’s quieter than the diesel sprinter van I had previously.
I recently shot the temperature of my uninsulated dog house...129 F! No wonder it is warm in the cab.

I bought the following to correct both heat and noise.

Design Engineering 050130 Boom Mat Under-Hood Thermal Acoustic Lining, 32" x 54" x .75" (1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055VTOBA...sms_tai_yoDuDb...
Old 08-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #9

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
Finally, can anyone tell me what the firewall looks like and where it is located? I have tried to research it for myself but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks,
Pam
Its the metal wall between the engine comparment and the inside of the vehicle. Usually you will see the brake boosters bolted to it. Just look under your hood - cant miss it.

Cover the entire under side of your dash starting at the bottom of the windsheild to the fire wall. Then go down the fire wall and roll it under the RV until you run out of good places to stick the insulation to.

Leave opening for wires / hose to poke though. I take your time, it took me hours to insulate my RV properly and I never regreted it. Use a roller to press the insulation firmly for proper adhesion. I duct taped a two or 3 foot pole to a roller in order to push up/back the insulation where my arms could not ready.

I put one to two layers of Dynomat type down first and one to TWO layers of Fat Mat 3/4 inch foam insulatation. But you will want a minium of one layer of each type.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 08-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #10

THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Its the metal wall between the engine comparment and the inside of the vehicle. Usually you will see the brake boosters bolted to it. Just look under your hood - cant miss it.

Cover the entire under side of your dash starting at the bottom of the windsheild to the fire wall. Then go down the fire wall and roll it under the RV until you run out of good places to stick the insulation to.

Leave opening for wires / hose to poke though. I take your time, it took me hours to insulate my RV properly and I never regreted it. Use a roller to press the insulation firmly for proper adhesion. I duct taped a two or 3 foot pole to a roller in order to push up/back the insulation where my arms could not ready.

I put one to two layers of Dynomat type down first and one to TWO layers of Fat Mat 3/4 inch foam insulatation. But you will want a minium of one layer of each type.
Thanks so much! I will take a look tomorrow. It sounds a bit daunting. I’m sure every outside project will be easier once we are experiencing our two weeks of Fall weather.
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:57 AM   #11

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
The other place that I added insulation (besides the dog house and in the engine compartment) was under the passenger desk. When I replaced my chassis battery and had to cut the board under the passenger desk, I put insulation underneath the piece of wood that I cut for access and filled the area underneath the wood with insulation. My passenger says it makes a big difference in noise level. It’s also a lot easier to get to that side of the engine from above.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #12

THOR #12231
Yep, under the desk, under the access panel on top of your instrument cluster, behind the Dash radio, in front of the passenger side (under dash) I also added some fire resistant cotton batten and acoustic foam under the dash from the inside of the RV.

Another area under the bulk head over the dash (right in front of the drop down front winshield shade). I used several types of material for that project. Also insulated inside the A pillars and over the side window curtain.

Of coarse everything is hidden and out of view. Im always finding near areas to insulate.

Some of my off the wall insulation make a difference, some dont ....... but I figure it will help some with heating and cooling the RV and it dont cost much and most of the time only takes a few minutes to perform.

But I think over all it adds up to make for a more confortable experience IMO.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #13

Model: Thor 29M Hurricane
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7934
50 mil is 5/16" thick. why follow up with the fat mat? Also, you say 3/4" thick. This must not be correct.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:21 AM   #14

THOR #12231
Quote:
50 mil is 5/16" thick. why follow up with the fat mat? Also, you say 3/4" thick. This must not be correct.
Lots of name brands but I used Dyno Mat and Fat Matt.

I though it was "50 mill" but its ".067 thick".... And I think I saw a ".080 thick". Sorry for the confuzzion... its been a year or more since I purchased the last one.

See below.... This is what I purchased.

Just pick the one with the best price that you like best.

I tired a few off brands but IMO the Dynomat and Fatmat better = sticker, less odor, better quality. So if your doing under your hood / dog house ....get the best so it sticks longer with the high heat in those areas.

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10435...ateway&sr=8-13

https://www.amazon.com/FatMat-Hood-L...y&sr=8-1-spell
Old 08-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #15

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Yes, good quality sound reading material on dog house, floors and doors. Night and day