Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2018, 03:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
Class C Overcab - two mod questions

I was hoping someone would have some insight and wisdom before I start tearing things apart. I have a 2017.5 Outlaw 29H Class C. I have a mattress topper on the overcab that is awesome but presents two problems: there’s a little overhang on the long side, and it prevents the TV from swiveling out. I was going to cut off a slice of the topper to make it fit, but then I noticed there’s a “shelf” along the entire front. It appears to be fairly standard in Thor class c’s (see circled in pic I stole off internet).

First question: Does anyone know what’s behind there? Is it possible to cut into that without compromising anything structural? I’d be nice to just slice out 80” of that in the middle, finish off each end and slide the topper in the slot. Everything would fit nicely.

Next, to make the TV more convenient I’m thinking of getting one of those TV brackets that swivel down from the ceiling. Amazon comments say they’re stable/strong enough for RVs. The mount is 4.5 lbs and the TV is 14lbs. Mount-It! MI-4222 TV Ceiling Mount Kitchen Under Cabinet TV Bracket Folding, Retractable, 90 Degree Tilt, Fold Down, Swivel for 17 to 37 inch LCD, TV, LED, Monitor, Flat Screens up to VESA 200x200 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO753UY..._wTm9BbGSX6XS0

Second Question: Anyone have tips for mounting it into the ceiling? I’m thinking of putting it just inside the main Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	14198coach door.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Yeah, I can help with that..... assuming of course yours is like mine.
That box was built, I'm pretty sure, form teh inside out. It's a bugger to disassemble.... I had to do some creative demolition to get in there and then more creativity to reassemble it. Anyway, what's behind it?
Old 11-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #3

THOR #908
sorry, took me a minute to reduce the photo file size then hit the wrong button without attaching them to the post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161105_105956583.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	14211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161105_110410322.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	14212  

Name:	IMG_20161105_110442038.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	14213  
Old 11-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

THOR #908
oh, you also asked about attaching to the ceiling.
Mine is just a thin flexible panel just bent into place and held under it's own tension. No structure at all to it. About the only thing back there is the wiring for the overcab clearance lights flopping around loose in there
Old 11-21-2018, 11:25 PM   #5

THOR #7010
I'm sure mine is very similar to this, so thanks so much for those pics blw2, you rock!! And I suspected as much for the ceiling (or as little, I should say!) I think I'll see if I can take the A/C cover off and expose some ceiling to see if there are any options up there.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #6

THOR #908
you're welcome.
I was thinking you were talking about attaching something to the bunk area ceiling, the arc area...

Back in the flat ceiling by the AC (and roof vents, etc.) you'll find an aluminum frame, mostly square tubing form what I can tell. The aluminum frame has the ceiling board below, thin plywood above, and styrofoam fill. Of course a bit of wiring for lights and such. Look up into your AC vents and you can see channels cut in the foam to form the AC ducts.
This in my thinking is where the drawings will be helpful to get a better idea of where you'll find metal...and maybe a better guess of where you'll find wires.

What are you trying to attach to the ceiling?
Old 11-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #7

THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

What are you trying to attach to the ceiling?

A swivel down TV mount. Bracket mounting holes are 80mm x 110mm apart, but the real challenge is finding the 36”x21” spot on the ceiling where the TV will stow flat against it, with clearance to swing down, and be in a good viewable area. I already assume I’ll need some mounting panel between the bracket and available anchor points- like those aluminum struts you mention. I got the bracket already and will be heading out to the rig today to see what can be done. If it won’t work in the main area of the coach then I’ll probably use it in the garage (it’s a toy hauler, so back bedroom is actually a garage.)

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	14231
Old 11-23-2018, 01:24 AM   #8

THOR #908
I'd guess you'll be able to find a place with enough structure for that...assuming the TV is pretty light. Most are these days.

I don't have drawings of the structure in my roof sadly. The only thing I've seen is that the metal frames wrap around all four sides of the penetrations...4 sides around AC, roof vents, skylights, etc...
I'd assume those points also form the cross beams spanning from one side to the other.

One thought outside the box a little....one of the features we like about our 31L plan is that the large living room tv is mounted as a door for one of the double kitchen cabinets. It puts it in a great spot and not in the way of anything.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #9

THOR #7010
Well, I checked things out and with some work the new TV bracket is totally do-able. I pulled the AC cover, an a/c vent channel cover, and an LED light. As best as I can tell, one of the 1" aluminum strut/beam that runs across the coach is marked by the recessed LEDs, as they use the inside of the beam as a wire channel. This is exactly where I want the middle of the bracket to go. I'll contact Thor to see how far away the next beams forward and aft are, but I'm guessing they are at the end of the a/c unit and end of the fan cutout, which are too far to help me out. So for fore/aft stability, I'll put a plate inside the a/c channel and secure that to a larger wood base below it, with the ceiling sandwiched inside. That should give me stability on one axis. Then put three longer metal screws straight up along the center to bite into the beam. I'm thinking that should give me a solid foundation to attach the TV mount. A little bit of work, but because the stand can also swivel side to side, it puts the TV in a perfect spot for viewing from either the kitchen, couch or overcab bed, where i sleep. I like the idea of using the TV as a cabinet door, but I don't have any cabinets large enough.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0836.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	14256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	14257  

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	14258  
Old 11-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You probably could use a stud finder to find the beams as well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 30D
State: New Jersey
THOR #13701
TV Swing Arm instead?

I didn't consider a ceiling mount? did you consider any other side mount? I was wondering if I could replace the factory tv mount/swing arm with a better/more articulating TV Swing Arm? This would reuse(?) existing mount location but allow me to swing it out and around the cabinet, and Aim it downward a little for the couch visibitily or towards the Dinette (one side at least).

I have a 2018 FW 30D with a big 40" TV in there. It swings straight to 90 degrees, but is always obstructed by the cabinet edge or the bunk. I'm glad they put in a big factory TV, but they didn't actually do anything ergonomically to make it viewable.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:49 AM   #12

THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevad View Post
I didn't consider a ceiling mount? did you consider any other side mount? ation but allow me to swing it out an.

I did not because the bunk is my primary sleeping area and I also wanted more room up there. I keep kicking the TV. I think Ive figured out the ceiling mounting. I'll post when its done.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:41 AM   #13

State: Ontario
THOR #9188
TV

A friend of mine is both a senior TV network engineer and also a cabinet maker.

He said one important thing. If you attach your TV to you unit in any way, then every shock and bounce your unit takes, will be transmitted to your TV. Not a good thing. his advice: Make a small table to sit on the engine ledge that protrudes into your driving cabin. Sit the TV on this. You can easily sit a 40 in TV this way. Modern flat screens are easy to handle. When we move, we just pick the TV and lie it on the bed, all safe and secure. Has worked for me for 7 years without problems.

Class C units in general have a bouncier ride than A class or 5vers. I also use a Coax quick connect to make the hooking up easier.

AS an extra, its leaves more space in the living room cabin, and is easier to look at.