Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2018, 12:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
WiFi ranger install

Thoughts on this? My AC is eleven inches high. Mount the elite on top of two secured waterproof boxes for a height of 8 inches so the antennae mast extends above the AC. Would bring my RV height to 11’9”.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
As long as your antenna is not right next to your AC box (or anything else) you are fine. But it will need to be a good 3 or 4 foot away IMO.

I mounted mine to the latter. I tried to do the inside like my WEboost but it would not mount correctly (that part of the later was not tall enough to secure corectly (See pic below).

From my rough estimation the top of the ant is about an inch or two above the AC cover.

It works great.

I mounted on inside part of the latter thinking it would be more protected from tree limbs compared to the outside part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4737.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	13854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4750.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	13855  

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
As long as your antenna is not right next to your AC box (or anything else) you are fine. But it will need to be a good 3 or 4 foot away IMO.

I mounted mine to the latter. I tried to do the inside like my WEboost but it would not mount correctly (that part of the later was not tall enough to secure corectly (See pic below).

From my rough estimation the top of the ant is about an inch or two above the AC cover.

It works great.

I mounted on inside part of the latter thinking it would be more protected from tree limbs compared to the outside part.
Thanks. No ladder, have a rear slide. Not a lot of real estate with the fiberglass front cap, AC, vents, fridge, satellite, and reserved room for two solar panels. After much thought and reviews. Decided to use an 8 inch square tube of aluminum to raise it up and have a clear line of sight in all directions. Being tubular it will also have minimal drag. Should be great. Was thinking of doing a antennae mast but it’s just one more thing to setup.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we just zip tied ours to the front of the forward AC cover cowling, which has many air holes and makes for an easy place to mount it... I wouldn't think that it necessarily has to be 'higher' than the AC cover to work very effectively.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #5

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
we just zip tied ours to the front of the forward AC cover cowling, which has many air holes and makes for an easy place to mount it... I wouldn't think that it necessarily has to be 'higher' than the AC cover to work very effectively.
I liked and bought the flexible mast just in case any branch strikes. The higher and more exposed the better is optimal. Thought of doing the AC but talked myself out of it 😂
Old 11-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #6

THOR #12830
The 6*6 1/8 aluminum weighs less than the antenna. Would secure one of the joists in the roof, use Dicor for the entire scuffed bottom to fully secure. Has the antennae almost fully above the AC unit.

thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5IfD4v7dSp2G5dXpwJeLkw.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	13879  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:34 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
The 6*6 1/8 aluminum weighs less than the antenna. Would secure one of the joists in the roof, use Dicor for the entire scuffed bottom to fully secure. Has the antennae almost fully above the AC unit.

thoughts?
That looks like a good fix. Your is the Flexable Mount (FM). Since I have a latter I went with the other ant.

I think it could be mounted to the AC cover pretty easy as well. I would removed the cover and mounted to top and used a backing plate so it could not pull though the plastic if I had the FM ant. All good mounting methods IMO.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote