Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2019, 01:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
does anyone know how the 110 v outlet by passenger seat is wired?

Does anyone know how the 110 volt outlet by the passenger seat is wired?

I am going to try and "shift" that outlet from GFCI to an inverter circuit. Before I start dismantling the coach "too" much, figured I would ask the gurus on here if anyone had some insight.

I know it is "jumpered" from another GFCI circuit, just not sure which one.

I am guessing the one on the side of the kitchen cabinet (by the door), however with THOR, you cant be sure....

Old 01-27-2019, 01:51 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Logic says the outlets on the curbside should be together. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

I have a schematic for the 110 for my 2016 Vegas 25.2. It shows that outlet on circuit 2B, which goes to the bathroom GFI, the outlet by the couch, microwave outlet and the outside TV outlet.

Call Thor and ask them to send all the schematics to you.

Have you considered leaving that outlet alone and just add a new one to the inverter?
Old 01-27-2019, 02:56 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
what r u tryin to acomplish?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:41 AM   #4

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Easiest would be to put in a new outlet just for the inverter, and possibly a small label on it.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:38 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

I am going to try and "shift" that outlet from GFCI to an inverter circuit. Before I start dismantling the coach "too" much, figured I would ask the gurus on here if anyone had some insight.

I know it is "jumpered" from another GFCI circuit, just not sure which one.

I am guessing the one on the side of the kitchen cabinet (by the door), however with THOR, you cant be sure....
In my coach, the passenger's duplex receptacle is powered by the chassis battery through a 110 watt inverter which is located just behind the plug. If I turn off all power to the coach including the use/store switch, I still have power at the plug forward of the passenger's seat. PDI tech stated that was so you could use a computer on the table without powering the entire coach. My GFCI circuit comes off a separate circuit beaker in the power center and the GFCI breaker duplex receptacle is in the bathroom. The GFCI bathroom receptacle feeds kitchen receptacle and the outside receptacles. The inverter circuit includes the three TVs, the outside frig, and the electronic equipment compartment. I have a propane/electric frig which is on the bedroom duplex receptacles circuit
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:49 AM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
On my 24.1:
It runs along the driver’s side, up thru the front of the engine, and then thru the firewall near the passenger side.
If you look inside engine compartment, you’ll see the grey conduit.

I’ve thought about this mod as an add to my Aims inverter...
The best way, for me, is to run a separate line under the passenger side to the front.
Disconnect & tie-off the current GFI outlet line, in favor of the new line, which will now be a Non-GFI (unless I change out for a new HFI receptacle).
There’s already a Thor floor exit hole (that’s filled with aerosol foam) next to my inverter location.
So I can use that current exit hole in the floor for my new line, then re-fill.
I’ll need flexible conduit and 14 gauge household wire, which is what Thor currently uses.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Taylorbob, thats sounds like a good way to have inverter power next to the cockpit area.

I would just keep BOTH outlets (OEM GFI and the new Inverter outlet) that way you can pick and choose the one you want .... or if the inverter goes out you can still plug in while on Genny or Shore power.

I thought about just hooking up a 15 or 20 foot extention cord to the outlet above the sink (or a DVD player - runs on my inverter) and feed it behind the TV, down the trim and mount behind or next to the passengers captain chair. That way its not too big of a project. I have seen some with a normal looking receiptial on one end already.

You could also hard wire from the DVD player recepitcal and run the wire behind the TV and down like I said and have a surface mount recepital (Amazon sells them in black and brown.... they look pretty good).

But I really dont have a need (at this time) for this outlet.... I can alway add later.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #8

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I thought about just hooking up a 15 or 20 foot extention cord to the outlet above the sink (or a DVD player - runs on my inverter) and feed it behind the TV, down the trim and mount behind or next to the passengers captain chair. That way its not too big of a project. I have seen some with a normal looking receiptial on one end already.

You could also hard wire from the DVD player recepitcal and run the wire behind the TV and down like I said and have a surface mount recepital (Amazon sells them in black and brown.... they look pretty good).
But I really dont have a need (at this time) for this outlet.... I can alway add later.
I agree
I currently use the two outlets under the cabinets, above the sofa for 110 via the inverter

Also, changing out the outlet by the door from GFI to inverter is a super-ez mod without doing any major alterations

Finally...add a 3 outlet plug adapter to the outlet that powers the TV above the entry door. Then add a short extension cord, hidden behind the TV, running to the front for ez access
Old 01-28-2019, 02:48 AM   #9

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
On my 24.1:
It runs along the driver’s side, up thru the front of the engine, and then thru the firewall near the passenger side.
If you look inside engine compartment, you’ll see the grey conduit.

I’ve thought about this mod as an add to my Aims inverter...
The best way, for me, is to run a separate line under the passenger side to the front.
Disconnect & tie-off the current GFI outlet line, in favor of the new line, which will now be a Non-GFI (unless I change out for a new HFI receptacle).
There’s already a Thor floor exit hole (that’s filled with aerosol foam) next to my inverter location.
So I can use that current exit hole in the floor for my new line, then re-fill.
I’ll need flexible conduit and 14 gauge household wire, which is what Thor currently uses.
Thanks, sir, for pointing me in the right direction...I was trying to fit in as much as I could today while the weather was nice and found the grey conduit going through the firewall, and, while playing human snake, found the romex feeding the outlet under the dash...

Do you happen to know where the "grey conduit" feeds to in the coach?

I am guessing that it "should" feed to the bathroom area to feed from the GFI main outlet, but didn't have time today to get under the coach to verify...

I have used the front outlet while driving and using the generator in the past and figure that would be one of the main outlets that I would use with the inverter.

I found some wiring schematics for the 27.7 and that outlet is one that is connected to the factory inverter on that model coach. It also shows that the passenger outlet is not GFCI on that model, which makes sense, as it really doesn't make sense for it to be GFCI on our 25.2...

Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 AM   #10

THOR #13362
Quote:

Do you happen to know where the "grey conduit" feeds to in the coach?

I am guessing that it "should" feed to the bathroom area to feed from the GFI main outlet, but didn't have time today to get under the coach to verify...

on my rig, it feeds back to the exit hole in the floor under the fridge.
there are several wires exiting that hole.

so it looks to me like that front GFI outlet wire begins at the GFI outlet under the oven that connects GFI power to the outside TV.

now that i know this fact, i can easily route the front outlet wire to the inverter junction box that i created.

i'll let you know.

as you previously said...there's no reason why the desk/computer outlet needs to be GFI, other than the fact that it starts inside, then goes outside, and then travels back inside.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:13 AM   #11

THOR #4687
I decided to take lots of your advice and add an additional outlet that will be on RECEPTICLE (inverter) circuit and leave all the GFCI outlets alone.

Since the TV above the door was already on the circuit, just connected at the TV outlet and installed an outlet in a surface mount box next to the door, under the fire extinguisher and next to the passenger seat.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190416_120533.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	16718  
Old 04-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #12

THOR #13362