Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Broken Kitchen Window

Yes it’s true. I was the recipient of a shattered kitchen window. I emailed Thor 2 weeks ago and in Thor fashion... no response. LOL. Like I expected anything else.
My suspicion is the kids next door but no cam to prove it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2628.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	18473

So plan “B”
I got a piece of acrylic from McMaster Carr ($42) and with some cutting from one of my techs (shout out to Tom) it’s installed.

Name:	IMG_2631.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	18474

Some issues along the way. Getting the old rubber adhesive off the mounting pieces... dremel and wire wheel. I used automotive 3M adhesive to mount the acrylic on the original mounting pieces. Getting the pieces out to clean them was a bit tricky. The vent from the stove is in the way to the right and the dining window to the left. Open the dining window to slide the top hinged piece to the left. (If you have to reinstall a new window and it’s mounted to the hinge you’d have to remove the dining window to slide it in)
When reinstalling the top hinge it’s held centered by two tiny screws that don’t allow it to slide right or left. But centered turned out to be 7/8” off center... thanks Thor. Luckily I figured it out before I mounted the acrylic to the adhesive. I let it set (open) for a day in the sun to help cure the adhesive. Our upcoming trip later this week will be the test. I’ll comment after I get back.

Name:	IMG_2632.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	18475

Old 06-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
When all else fails...pick up the phone. Emails can get scrolled down so fast people never know the got them. The only way to stop an annoying phone from ringing is to answer it. My best results with Thor have always been by phone...1st time, every time.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

THOR #8180
It appears my $50 window fix will remain permanent. Just completed a 250mi drive and the replacement window had no issues.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Broken Kitchen Window

I’m interested in the acrylic you used. I’m checking out McMaster & Carr. I see a few options. Which one did you go with?

Can you expand on the method for cutting?

Last week we were driving down the interstate when we heard a loud crack like a rock hit the windshield. It wasn’t the windshield but the side entry door.

The glass shattered but stayed together and I duct taped it when we got to the campground.

I emailed Thor and they did give me a part number to order it from a dealer. I read someone shattered there side window hitting golf balls and it was $240 for the window.

Might be worth trying your $50 fix!
Old 07-01-2019, 02:18 AM   #5

THOR #8180
I ordered a cast acrylic sheet 24x36x1/8”. Black. It isn’t transparent. It’s complete blackout. I don’t really care since it’s the kitchen window.
The PN: 8505K745.
You might pick a smoke piece if they offer it.
You could use polycarbonate but it’ll scratch easier. It is 200x stronger than glass and acrylic is 10x stronger. It won’t scratch as easily as polycarbonate tho.
My tech used a 60 tooth saw blade then mitered the corners with a jigsaw and finished them with a belt sander.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
My side window is basically privacy glass so the black probably would not be an issue. The windows on my coach are all tinted so they almost look black and pretty close to the acrylic you used in your repair.

Many thanks for the details!
Old 07-08-2019, 02:56 AM   #7

THOR #8180
Quick update after an 1100 mile round- trip to Niagara Falls Ontario and back. The acrylic window appears to be a permanent piece of our coach. It seals against the rain perfectly even after a torrential downpour traveling the NYS Thruway.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:45 AM   #8

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
That is an impressive repair. My kitchen window cost 1200 bucks installed and took 2 months.