Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie,

Thanks. Sounds like my next "mod" is calling.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #22

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
ONeil/DocMike...please post what you decide upon or have...
I want to get one for Ron. thankyou !
I bought JollyRogers from Woot. Only $35 + $5 shipping and $10 OBD II splitter from eBay free shipping. Cheap enough to play with and see if it is worth it.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
(I edited my previous note but I'll put similar comments here)

I bet the splitter will work and won't work: It will work in that it will allow you to plug in two devices to the OBD2 port at a time, but, given the protocol, I don't think both devices will be able to run at the same time. According to OBD2 the devices have to request the parameters from the modules (in this case mostly the engine computer). I'm pretty sure the engine computer can only handle one device requesting at a time and thus with two devices (HUD, and Scangauge for instance) only one of them will get the data.

It is possible that they've change the spec since I've seen it and that the devices may be able to simply listen for the appropriate messages on the link (in which case they both would work at the same time), or that the devices may be able to pick up the messages destined for the other device (in which case they both may work--or not: When requesting parameters the devices can tell the engine computer how to pack up the data in the reply. It is very unlikely that both devices would pack up the data the same way).

I'll be interested in hearing from those of you who are picking up a splitter if you can get both the HUD & your other device reading the same parameters at the same time. (I say try it: It will either work or it won't--yeah how zen is that for you LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #24

THOR #2142
Jamie,

Quite Zen, but also very cool.

Doc

Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #25

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
(I edited my previous note but I'll put similar comments here)

I bet the splitter will work and won't work: It will work in that it will allow you to plug in two devices to the OBD2 port at a time, but, given the protocol, I don't think both devices will be able to run at the same time. According to OBD2 the devices have to request the parameters from the modules (in this case mostly the engine computer). I'm pretty sure the engine computer can only handle one device requesting at a time and thus with two devices (HUD, and Scangauge for instance) only one of them will get the data.

It is possible that they've change the spec since I've seen it and that the devices may be able to simply listen for the appropriate messages on the link (in which case they both would work at the same time), or that the devices may be able to pick up the messages destined for the other device (in which case they both may work--or not: When requesting parameters the devices can tell the engine computer how to pack up the data in the reply. It is very unlikely that both devices would pack up the data the same way).

I'll be interested in hearing from those of you who are picking up a splitter if you can get both the HUD & your other device reading the same parameters at the same time. (I say try it: It will either work or it won't--yeah how zen is that for you LOL).
I'll let you know. Comments on the splitters seem to indicate that two devices will run at the same time.... But we shall see.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #26
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I checked earlier and there are several types of headsup displays available. So I need to check with a good friend who is a Ford Master Mechanic regarding the OBD port.

Too late to do tonight.

Jolly, in the picture what is the gray shield/cover you have over top of your dash

Doc
I will await your decision...having read Jamie's response...I defer to you guys in purchasing this new TOY for Ron !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #27

THOR #2142
VKB,

I will have to do some web surfing, as Woot is still sold out.

I'm getting one this weekend the latest.

Doc

Old 03-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Out of curiosity, how much was it selling for on Woot?
Old 03-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #29

THOR #2142
$35 plus S&H.

Doc

Old 03-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #30

THOR #1249
With GPS, TPMS, dash cam and now if I get the HUD, I will feel like I am in the cockpit of a plane.
For the budget minded, there is one at GearBest for about $24 with free shipping.

W02 Universal Car 5.5 inch HUD Head Up Display Projector OBD II Speed Warning-23.86 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Not sure I want another cord going across the dash and may stick with my old Ultra Gage.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #31
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
VKB,

I will have to do some web surfing, as Woot is still sold out.

I'm getting one this weekend the latest.

Doc

thank you ! have a great weekend !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #32

THOR #2142
MCR,

Just got mine. Thanks for the link.

Doc

Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #33
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
MCR,

Just got mine. Thanks for the link.

Doc
Where did you get yours ?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 03-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #34

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Technically you should be able to "split" the signals coming out of the OBD-II port. All modern cars use CAN (Control-Area-Network) which is an ethernet like network.

Putting two devices on the OBD-II port would be similar to getting a network hub and plugging two computers into a single network jack. Although I'm not sure if a scangauge and one of these would play well together. They would both be requesting the same info from the engine computer at the same time. I would think you could only use one at a time because the protocol over CAN really only allows for one diagnostic tool to request information. Thus one would win over the other (if they boot up at different rates I'd guess the last one to request engine parameters would win--used to work in Ford Parts & Service on the dealership diagnostic tool).

Those look really intriguing; I was considering a scan gauge but these look cooler! LOL

Looking through an Amazon search: Amazon HUD Search
It looks like most of the "A8" ones are the same thing; just branded differently (and varying prices).

Note: Went to woot this morning and they are sold out.

Another thought would be to use a cellphone OBD2 adapter with an app--just put your phone on the dash. I couldn't find any in the play store though (I do have the OBDLink MX thought I'd give that a try--Note that one is bluetooth which won't work with iPhones, if you want to get one to use with iPhones get the WiFi Version: OBD Link WiFi). I've used mine with FORScan and found that the Axis has only 3 modules on the network LOL (Engine, trans, and GEM) where my EV had over 20!.
Thanks for the great info Jamie! If anyone's interested - Amazon has the same model we purchased on Woot for a bit cheaper. Just found!

Robot Check
Old 03-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #35

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodgers View Post
Doc, we got ours on Woot.com - it's still an option through tomorrow but I'm sure you can find it on other sites - it's a Bylt BYLT-HUDX5-BK Vehicle Heads Up Display w/ OBD II Port

Heads Up Display - Electronics.Woot
Sold out at Woot.com - that's what you get for posting on the forums
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #36

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3306
Quote:
I checked earlier and there are several types of headsup displays available. So I need to check with a good friend who is a Ford Master Mechanic regarding the OBD port.

Too late to do tonight.

Jolly, in the picture what is the gray shield/cover you have over top of your dash

Doc
Doc, think that's just a shadow in the pic - we don't have anything on the dash. The HUD requires a grayish film on the windshield to reflect the units display. We're heading' south next week - we'll let y'all know what we think of the HUD.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010
Not sure I want another cord going across the dash and may stick with my old Ultra Gage.
From the pics on Amazon it looks like the wire is really tiny. You may be able to snake it down under/into the dash and have it pop out from under the top panel (the one with the two thumbscrews holding it down). Then you only have a short bit of wire from that panel to where it rests on the dash.

Another thing I noticed reading through the reviews on Amazon: On many of the units the only value you can switch between English and Metric units is the speed. The fuel consumption is only available in either L/H or L/100KM.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #38

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
With GPS, TPMS, dash cam and now if I get the HUD, I will feel like I am in the cockpit of a plane.
For the budget minded, there is one at GearBest for about $24 with free shipping.

W02 Universal Car 5.5 inch HUD Head Up Display Projector OBD II Speed Warning-23.86 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

the least expensive unit is shipped from China. I have not had good experience with direct shipping from China. I now only get US or Canada warehoused purchases. You will get it hopefully this year just saying.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #39

THOR #2142
VKB,

I got mine off of GearBest (see post #30 above for website.)

Doc

Old 03-24-2016, 01:12 AM   #40

Model: Four Winds 23U
THOR #992
I actually have ordered quite a bit of stuff from Camping World and I am very satisfied. If I buy a new camper though I will go to one of our local dealers just for service and the ability to usually talk to the owner and more personal touch. The people I bought my current RV from have been fantastic.