Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Question Steering stabilization

As much as I hate to start new threads on standard subjects, I'm going to do it because searches bring up spotty and contradictory info on this subject.

We just completed a pleasant 4 day shakedown trip on our new Four Winds 22E. I noticed a slight tendency for the steering to wander. Not a lot, but just enough to be a bit annoying. There is no pull in either direction just a bit unstable.

What upgrades would help this? I read about the Safe T Plus, and it sounds like a good idea for emergencies, but does it help with this sort of thing also. Is there some other add on that would be more likely to help this?

subject 2:

We have a steep driveway to our RV parking spot. We chose this particular make and model to avoid dragging the tail on the road as we climb. We have clearance, but it is just a few inches. I am considering adding air bags to the rear suspension to be used for this situation only. I would be more comfortable with a bit more clearance to accommodate different loading schemes. I would appreciate comments and recommendations on this also.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Old 08-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #2554
I had the Safe-T plus installed. It made a difference. Not as much wandering, still there is some, because of the road. Some are well traveled by trucks that help create ruts/ grooves.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
We have the same unit, no sway. Tires 75 front, 65 rears. Travel lightly loaded with about 15 - 20 gal, water. Overtaking trucks do not bother us. Our driveway is steep, but no problem with dragging.

The castor cops will be along shortly to recommend changing castor to +5 and getting an alignment. I have done neither.

I would question the air bag usage for just the driveway clearance problem. That would mean you would need to air up at the bottom of the driveway each time. For me, it wouldn't be long till I just left them filled.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks
The castor cops will be along shortly to recommend changing castor to +5 and getting an alignment. I have done neither.
Not a "castor cop"! LOL On our coach Thor explicitly recommended an alignment and it was way off--couldn't tell driving it (at least I couldn't).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 AM   #5

THOR #4719
Thanks for the input.

We've decided to get the Safe T Plus.

We've Decided to wait until we have found a definite need for the Air Lifts.

Now, I am wondering why a brand new motorhome should need a front end alignment. My thought is, surely if it was apt to be needed the factory would do them all before leaving. Am I being naive?

Ken
Old 08-13-2016, 04:12 AM   #6

THOR #1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
As much as I hate to start new threads on standard subjects, I'm going to do it because searches bring up spotty and contradictory info on this subject.

We just completed a pleasant 4 day shakedown trip on our new Four Winds 22E. I noticed a slight tendency for the steering to wander. Not a lot, but just enough to be a bit annoying. There is no pull in either direction just a bit unstable.

What upgrades would help this? I read about the Safe T Plus, and it sounds like a good idea for emergencies, but does it help with this sort of thing also. Is there some other add on that would be more likely to help this?

subject 2:

We have a steep driveway to our RV parking spot. We chose this particular make and model to avoid dragging the tail on the road as we climb. We have clearance, but it is just a few inches. I am considering adding air bags to the rear suspension to be used for this situation only. I would be more comfortable with a bit more clearance to accommodate different loading schemes. I would appreciate comments and recommendations on this also.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
I have a Thor Chateau 22E. I installed Firestone air bags on the rear to try and level the stance of the unit side to side and it helped a little. The bags did not raise the rear very much so I don't think they will help your situation.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:27 AM   #7

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberff View Post
I have a Thor Chateau 22E. I installed Firestone air bags on the rear to try and level the stance of the unit side to side and it helped a little. The bags did not raise the rear very much so I don't think they will help your situation.
Thanks for the advice. I am curious about what side is low.

Ours seems level, but we travel with nearly empty tanks.

Ken
Old 08-13-2016, 04:38 AM   #8

THOR #1439
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I am curious about what side is low.

Ours seems level, but we travel with nearly empty tanks.

Ken
The passenger side is just a little lower, not by much but the air bags really didn't level it out. this is with a full tank of water (which is on the driver side in my unit) as I mainly dry camp in the desert. I don't know if the rear trak bar I installed and /or the sway bar limit the air bags.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:53 AM   #9

THOR #4719
Quote:
The passenger side is just a little lower, not by much but the air bags really didn't level it out. this is with a full tank of water (which is on the driver side in my unit) as I mainly dry camp in the desert. I don't know if the rear trak bar I installed and /or the sway bar limit the air bags.
That's interesting. I was sure you were going to say the driver's side was lower, because the tanks are all there. Have you had a dealer look at it?

When I look under the rear of mine, I am not impressed with the apparent strength of the rear of the frame.

I thought for a while that ours was low on the drivers side, but it appears that the driver's side of the bumper is mounted a bit high. Measurements from the ground say the box is level. I think if I loosen the bumper bolts and make sure the end is down all the way and then retighten them it will look fine.

Ken
Old 08-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Quote:
Now, I am wondering why a brand new motorhome should need a front end alignment. My thought is, surely if it was apt to be needed the factory would do them all before leaving. Am I being naive?

Ken
Ford aligns the chassis when it leaves the factory, but that is before it is transformed into a motor home with varying weights and loading.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We have a 23U similar to your 22E and we added a Safe-t-Plus and I think it made a world of difference in handling. I am one hand driving most of the time.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Many air bags (particularly when used as helpers) are installed with both sides interconnected, hence both sides get the same air pressure. If yours is that way, you will get the same amount of lifting force on both sides which won't help with leveling side to side.

Systems that can use different pressure on each side can be adjusted (manually or automatic) to level the vehicle side to side.

If sway bar was installed symmetrically, it should "help" in keeping vehicle level. It is a spring though, so it can only do so much before it flexes some.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
I just put Sumo springs on the rear and noticed a big difference in swaying. They replace the factory bump stops which were about 2" high. The front end alignment and the Safe T Plus made a world of difference in handling and I now can cruise down the road with one hand.
Kev
Old 08-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #14

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I just put Sumo springs on the rear and noticed a big difference in swaying. They replace the factory bump stops which were about 2" high. The front end alignment and the Safe T Plus made a world of difference in handling and I now can cruise down the road with one hand.
Kev
OK,

I'm confused again. When I looked to see what Sumo springs are, I came up with a device for coil springs. However our motorhome (based on E-450) has rear leaf springs. I found specs that say the the Vegas is also based on Ford E series, so I thought it would also have leaf springs in the rear.

What is going on with my research? Is there some other kind of Sumo springs, or does your Vegas have rear coil suspension, or I'm I just MUBAR? (mixed up beyond all recovery)

Ken

P.S. I ordered a Safe T Plus yesterday.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
All E-Series come from Ford with coil springs in front, and leaf springs for rear axle.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #16

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
All E-Series come from Ford with coil springs in front, and leaf springs for rear axle.
Thanks, I guess I better do deeper research on Sumo springs.

Ken
Old 08-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #17

THOR #4719
OK, I believe I found the answer.

SuperSprings

As I read it, I believe Kev must have SuperSprings or SuperSway-Stops made by same company that makes SumoSprings.

Here is what they make:

SUMOSPRINGS – the world’s first airless airbags
SUPERSPRINGS – the unique, self adjusting leaf spring suspension enhancers
COIL SUMOSPRINGS – the easily installed answer to boosting your front or rear coil springs suspension
SUPERSWAY-STOPS – the simple solution to reducing camper body-roll
SUPERCOILS – the heavy duty, replacement front end coil springs

Ken
Old 08-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #18
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
No I have Sumo Springs. There are leaf springs in the rear and the Sumo Spring is a polyurethane product that replaces the factory bump stop on a Ford E450 frame. It operates like an airbags without worrying about leaks and is suppose to be more durable.
Kev
Old 08-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #19

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
No I have Sumo Springs. There are leaf springs in the rear and the Sumo Spring is a polyurethane product that replaces the factory bump stop on a Ford E450 frame. It operates like an airbags without worrying about leaks and is suppose to be more durable.
Kev

OK this is my defense:

I find there website confusing. I'm looking at it again. They say that SumoSprings are for coil springs but then they show pictures that seem to contradict that.

Do they look like either of theses pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	superswaystops1 (1).png
Views:	99
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	2713  
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #20

THOR #4719
Here's a better pic with choices. Contrary to what it may seem, I'm not trying to nit pick what things are called, I'm just trying to figure out what I would perhaps want to order.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myvehicle-f450 (1).png
Views:	124
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	2714