Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Ceramic Window Tint is amazing

After I tweaked my AC unit to make it perform better (see my post "Try this before you buy 2nd AC unit" from yesterday) I had all of my windows tinted with Ceramic Window Tint. This stuff is amazing (but very expensive so it took me a year before I pulled the trigger). They have what they unofficially call "Clear Tint" (but its actually “85%” (so only 15% tint color) but looks almost clear. It rejects around 45 % of heat (and around 75 % on darker color tint) and 99% of UV rays! I had ALL of my factory tinted windows done in "Clear tint" (even had my entire front windshield done since you cant even tell its installed) and also had the slider widows in cockpit done with 22% ceramic (which matches the factory shade and color perfectly). Now I don’t even use my reflective bubbles in the windows to reject heat (unless I want it dark inside or more privacy). This is wonderful on long trips in the blazing sun or that picnic or quick stops that you don’t want to bother with reflective bubbles to keep cool inside.

The factory window tint does NOT reject UV rays and lets in a ton of heat so by "double tinting" them it really make a difference and I cant tell they are any darker than before. In fact if you put your hand on the window or the aluminum window frame that’s been in the sun for hours its much cooler to the touch than before. And if you have the AC on and you put your hand on the table or the seats where sun had been shining its actually cool to the touch (I know hard to believe but its true).

The front windshield lets in about half as much heat and will be warm to the touch where the sun has been shining but its not hot like it use to be. This may not be for every one but the wife like it. It should keep our drapes and upholstery looking like new for much longer, not to mention I don’t squint like I use to and its better for our skin. At night the front windshield looks normal and keeps my eyes from getting fatigued with on coming traffic lights and street light.

But the down side is I notice the glass inside is more reflective in the cockpit area - you see the other side of the cabin, dash refection, defroster vents and the outside enviromental / traffic surrounding in your side windows from the oposite side so it takes some getting use to. I put down some anti skid drawer liners stuff (the kind with holes in it) and that seems to help some.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
We are considering the ceramic tint to help with keeping heat out. Two question for you. First, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the tinting? Second, are your windows double pane? I called a guy about getting this done on our RV. One of the questions he asked was if the windows are double pane, which ours are. He said adding that tint might cause the window to crack or the seal to rupture. I'm just wondering if that is really an issue.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #4312
Ceramic Window Tint is amazing

I installed 3M Crystalline on my Thor 29M
I went darker on the top sides of the cab and Cr50 on the driver and passenger windows and Cr40 on the rears
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716668&rt=rudClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1691.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	11311

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #4

THOR #12231
Sure, I paid $1000 plus tax. Single pane windows. I know thats alot of $$ but the front winsheild was $300 or 350 by its self plus I have a lifetime warentee. This stuff is not like the old window tint of yesterday. They had a sample of the "Clear" tint, no tint and regular 20% tint in the showroom. The clear (85%) tint was cooler than the old 20% tint! This stuff is amazing. No radio interferance like metal tints have. I called around to find a shop that can fit my entire RV inside and had expreince tinting RV windows. After a few of living with it Im sold on it.

I did read something about double pane windows cracking too. Not sure if that is true or not. This tint employee has been tinting windows for 15 years and has been useing cermic tint for around 4 or 5 years without any problem (or so he says). You might want to ask around or just use old style tint on all double pane windows and ceramic on your windshield?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Sure, I paid $1000 plus tax. Single pane windows. I know thats alot of $$ but the front winsheild was $300 or 350 by its self plus I have a lifetime warentee. This stuff is not like the old window tint of yesterday. They had a sample of the "Clear" tint, no tint and regular 20% tint in the showroom. The clear (85%) tint was cooler than the old 20% tint! This stuff is amazing. No radio interferance like metal tints have. I called around to find a shop that can fit my entire RV inside and had expreince tinting RV windows. After a few of living with it Im sold on it.

I did read something about double pane windows cracking too. Not sure if that is true or not. This tint employee has been tinting windows for 15 years and has been useing cermic tint for around 4 or 5 years without any problem (or so he says). You might want to ask around or just use old style tint on all double pane windows and ceramic on your windshield?

That’s a great price depending on what brand you got ? I use Suntek Llumar and 3M infrared films are great also I’ve been in the industry for over 27 years

Be a blessing to someone
Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #6100
What if your windshield cracks and needs replaced? Is the tint covered by insurance or the lifetime guarantee, or do you need to pay for new tint?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 PM   #7

THOR #12231
You will have to pay for new tint. Its a gamble but if I get 3+ years out of it I think it was worth it IMO.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #8

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
So would you say if its 100° outside it could be like 80 inside with tinting?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #9

THOR #12231
Well you have to have the AC on, Your interior will eventally heat up inside but it takes a lot longer with the ceramic tint. With the mods I have done with my AC and window tint / Roof vent insulation so far I have had no problem maintaining low 70s in my RV all day lone in direct sun the entire time. But its only been 90 - 95 deg for the most part where I am located at. August brings the crazy hot weather so I can update next month.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #10

THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Well you have to have the AC on, Your interior will eventally heat up inside but it takes a lot longer with the ceramic tint. With the mods I have done with my AC and window tint / Roof vent insulation so far I have had no problem maintaining low 70s in my RV all day lone in direct sun the entire time. But its only been 90 - 95 deg for the most part where I am located at. August brings the crazy hot weather so I can update next month.

All those mods add up ! Make sure to clean your filters too mine were gross

Be a blessing to someone
Old 07-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Here are some before and after shots from the outside. See how much darker it is inside the RV? In the after shot my wife is sitting in the co-pliots chair and you cannot even see her. And none of the curtains are pulled to block the light! Im still amazed at this stuff and I like the fact Im not messing with the reflective bubbles in all of my windows like I had to do last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4311.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	11352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3570.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	11353  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4673.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	11354  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #12

THOR #12231
But in that last shot you can see the sun is behind us so it might look a little darker than reality.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Long and Winding Road,

I have a lot of difficulty backing the RV at night because of the reflections, particularly on the driver's side window. With the ceramic tint, are you able to see well enough to safely back up in the dark?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #14

THOR #12231
Yes, I can see out fine but I rely on by backup camera for the most part. I think this tint made this refection worse in the cockpit area but I also think "any dark tint" will make the side windows worse. Might be best to go with the "Clear" (which is 85% vs the 20% dark tint) for side windows?

You have to be careful and look twice to make sure what your looking at when in traffic. I know in the past when backing up I have opened up my slider window and stuck my head out to make sure I was not getting too close to a tree/car on the drivers side.

I will trying two new things to combate this reflection. First thing is I try some of that anti skid shelf liner (perforated) on the top of the dash to help with that reflection and the 2nd is I will try some black window screen and velcro over the window in front of the slider window that has the factory window screen (Bug screen). I think I can stick it to the alumumum window frame on the top and bottom and the other part of the window will slide behind it? It might be the angle im looking at from the drivers seat but it seems like the glass that has the screen covering it is not as bad as the one without - if that makes sense. I will take some inside pictures this weekend.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:56 AM   #15

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
1000 seems like a deal. We have it in our cars in Fl And when I buy my next car it will go straight to the tinter. It is amazing stuff. I was guessing 2k for an rv.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:01 AM   #16

THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
1000 seems like a deal. We have it in our cars in Fl And when I buy my next car it will go straight to the tinter. It is amazing stuff. I was guessing 2k for an rv.
That’s what I charge depending on the film and amount of windows
3M Crystalline is the most expensive film we offer

Be a blessing to someone
Old 07-12-2018, 02:06 AM   #17

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
That’s what I charge depending on the film and amount of windows
3M Crystalline is the most expensive film we offer
Can you explain how ceramic tint works?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:26 AM   #18

THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Can you explain how ceramic tint works?

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...716668&rt=rud#

Be a blessing to someone
Old 07-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #19

State: Washington
THOR #10744
We tinted our windows in the back bedroom, and love it. Keeps it nice and dark and a bit cooler in the evening.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbates View Post
We tinted our windows in the back bedroom, and love it. Keeps it nice and dark and a bit cooler in the evening.
Yep, every little bit helps with any RV.

You should try a lighter color tint or better yet this Cermic tint on ALL your window esp the ones in the cockpit. It helps esp when driving down the road on a hot summer day. I went with the 85% tint (which is only 15 % dark) on all my RV windows and like 22% on the cockpit side windows. That way its not too dark but reject the heat and RV like crazy.