Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Changed sconce and pendant to LED

Something I have been meaning to do and finally got it accomplished. I changed the bulbs in my pendant light and living area wall sconce over to LED bulbs instead of the factory installed 1076 incandescent bulbs. The biggest difference is the heat. The old bulbs would generate so much heat that after being on for 15 minutes you could burn yourself if you touched the globe when turning off the light. Now after being on for over an hour the globes are cool to the touch.

One note, even though 1076 bulbs appear to be polarity neutral the LED bulbs are not and will not work if installed incorrectly. As luck would have it I installed all three wrong and initially thought I had bad bulbs. Behold, remove the bulbs, rotate them 180 degrees, reinstall and they work fine.

The pendants before

Click image for larger version

Name:	Incand Lights.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1022

The pendants and sconce after

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Lights.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1023

Surprises me that all other lights in the coach are LED but these were incandescent.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:46 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
We have the same situation in the bathroom over the vanity. They and the porch light are the only incandescent bulbs in the coach. Were the replacement bulbs expensive?
Old 11-05-2015, 02:44 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Talking about light bulbs, I saw a big push for green lights if you are a Veteran and/or in support of Veterans...can you get a green replacement bulb for the outside light on the Thor line up in general (and Vegas specifically)???

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:34 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
We have the same situation in the bathroom over the vanity. They and the porch light are the only incandescent bulbs in the coach. Were the replacement bulbs expensive?
Metalman,

I feel they were not very expensive. The bulbs I used were purchased from Amazon and were a little over 10.00 for 2. With Prime I got free shipping.

Here is the link to the bulbs I purchased. Since I only needed 3 I now have one for the spare parts box.

Amazon.com: GRV Ba15d 1142 1076 High Bright Car LED Bulb 18-5050SMD DC12V Cool White Pack of 2: Automotive
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-05-2015, 03:40 AM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Talking about light bulbs, I saw a big push for green lights if you are a Veteran and/or in support of Veterans...can you get a green replacement bulb for the outside light on the Thor line up in general (and Vegas specifically)???
Doc,

This evening I told my wife I needed to start looking for a green bulb for the porch.

As for the outside light on the RV if it is a 921 which is the bulb used for the outside light on my prior coach then yes you can. In fact, you might be able to get one from the landscape lighting section at Lowes. 12 volt T10 based bulbs are what my 7 and 11 watt landscape lights use.

I also saw Green LED 921 bulbs on eBay. Here is the link.

T10 921 2825 168 2 Pcs Green 5050 SMD Parking Lights Bulbs Lamps 2 Pieces | eBay

I have not yet checked to see what bulb the acorn light on the outside of the Challenger uses.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Dave,

Thanks. TIme to get the ladder out and head over to Lowes this evening.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Metalman,

I feel they were not very expensive. The bulbs I used were purchased from Amazon and were a little over 10.00 for 2. With Prime I got free shipping.

Here is the link to the bulbs I purchased. Since I only needed 3 I now have one for the spare parts box.

Amazon.com: GRV Ba15d 1142 1076 High Bright Car LED Bulb 18-5050SMD DC12V Cool White Pack of 2: Automotive
LED bulbs have come down in price and will continue to do so as manufacturers ramp up production. Just bought a couple of 60W medium base LED bulbs for the house at Sam's Club for less than $9. It wasn't long ago when they were more than that each.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I've been slowly replacing bulbs in the house with LEDs and had extras of some under cabinet lighting where I used a warm white 12V T10 wedge. They just happened to fit the non-LED bulb sockets in our RV. What looks to be the same bulbs from Amazon are now $2.50 each (much less $ than 3-4yrs ago).

Old 11-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Dave,

Thanks. TIme to get the ladder out and head over to Lowes this evening.

Doc
Doc,

My mistake. The landscape lights are T5 based and not T10. Also I just went to my local Lowes and they no longer sell the green, or any color, landscape bulbs.
FMCA - F432054