Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #1420
Charging Chassis Batteries on Shore Power

I recently purchased a 2014 Tuscany 36MQ. I am now trying to understand a little more about the electrical system. I understand that while driving that the chassis and house batteries are tied together for charging. I also understand that only the house batteries are charged by the Magnum Charger/Inverter when connected to shore power (or generator). I am looking for a solution to maintain a charge on the chassis batteries when connected to shore power. Here are the options being considered:

1. Use a Battery Tender that will plug into one of the coach's outlets.

2. Install the Magnum Smart Battery Combiner (Model ME-SBC) that uses a three wire connection (one to each battery bank positive terminal and one to a common ground).

Option 2 is obviously more expense but can supply more amps and will work automatically when connected to shore power or with the generator working.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:32 AM   #2

Model: Palazzo
State: Quebec
THOR #1375
I bought a solar panel made by Coleman that supply 1.8 amp, it's plug in a 12V outlet close to the windshield, it's enough to keep the batteries charged.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:14 AM   #3

Model: Miramar bath & 1/2
State: New Mexico
THOR #1366
Send a message via AIM to Larry Mac Send a message via Yahoo to Larry Mac
Hello,

I have a Thor Miramar and didn't know that the switch needs to be in USE not STORE when it's in use and I'm plugged in the house batteries charge and indicate so on the panel reading 13.6 volts.

The engine battery I attached a battery minder I also use one on a PT Cruiser I have had in storage for 4 years. They have a $14 battery minder from Walmart works fine I check it daily and for the last few days it reads green (standby) when it charges it goes to yellow then after a day it reads green again.

I have been using this for 10 months and seems to work fine. It's plugged into a 110 vac landline.

Works for me.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:54 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Jako, Can you explain the Colman solar unit and how it works plugging into a 12v outlet near windshield?
Old 01-08-2015, 01:27 AM   #5

Model: Palazzo
State: Quebec
THOR #1375
I mention, near the windshield because in my case it's the best place to install the solar panel, I let it sit on the dashboard and during normal daylight it will supply 1.8 amp per hour to your chassis battery, you can also stick it directly to the windshield with the succion cup that come in the kit.I paid $25.95 if I remember right at Advance Discount Auto Parts
Old 01-08-2015, 01:43 AM   #6

Model: Citation 29TB
State: Texas
THOR #1019
A Trik-L-Start is a common solution to keep the chassis battery charged when on shore power. It's inexpensive and easily connected to the battery isolator.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #7

State: South Carolina
THOR #1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
A Trik-L-Start is a common solution to keep the chassis battery charged when on shore power. It's inexpensive and easily connected to the battery isolator.
Thanks for this suggestion. The Trik-L-Start looks like it will do the job. The hook-ups are the same as for the Magnum Smart Battery Combiner but without the adjustments that I don't think I need anyway. Now I need to look for the battery isolator (I think it might be in the same compartment as the Magnum MS-2000 Charger/Inverter).

As a side note, I also like the solar idea except that I forgot to mention that the motorhome is in an enclosed storage bay with access to 30 Amps shore power. Thus, the Trik-L-Start looks like the ideal solution for me.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Tags
battery, charging, power