Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2019, 11:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
CHF may be cheap, but it's painful......

So today with dry, emphasis on dry, cool weather, today I climbed under the ACE to do that Cheap Handling Fix all you boys and girls on the I-net are raving about. First I would like to say the "fix" sure ain't no one hour job, at least not on my ACE. Took this fat old fart nearly half an hour just to wiggle underneath the coach! My particular Ace the bolt holes on the upper mounting line up exactly with the leaf spring. The bolts have to go in with the head on the outside (leaf side) of the bar as this is where the countersunk indent is. If you reverse the bolts and put the nut in the countersunk end the extended end of the bolt MAY contact the spring when the axle assembly flex's laterally. Well after much coaxing,lifting the frame to flex the springs, bottle jack under the sway bar, several Dark Blue comments and a bit of persuasion with a 2 lb hammer, we got err done. Add one torn up knuckle, one skinned up elbow, a gash in the forehead and a half pint of blood to the front install. After all that, full of dread, armed with an old hard hat and Kevlar gloves I decided to tackle the rear as well. As Gomer Pyle said "Surprise surprise, surprise," the rear went smooth as a baby's behind. The CHF is done! We are heading out for the weekend I really hope I see a difference! This mod is Cheap, but in my case very Painful...……..

Old 06-03-2019, 11:39 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
LOL, at least you didnt have to pay for those injuries. The CHF will help a lot of the roll, a rear track bar will pretty much cure the sway
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:22 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Mine was like yours...spring was in the way, everything mis-alligned the bushings in the U-clips were so tight I had to loosen the clips and use a bottle jack to move the sway bar. At some point I thought of just spending the night under there. After the front I was so disallusioned I said "F" the back sway bar. Still haven't done it yet.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:48 AM   #4

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
Mine was like yours...spring was in the way, everything mis-alligned the bushings in the U-clips were so tight I had to loosen the clips and use a bottle jack to move the sway bar. At some point I thought of just spending the night under there. After the front I was so disallusioned I said "F" the back sway bar. Still haven't done it yet.
LMAO, I know what you mean about spending the night! Seriously though the back went smooth as silk. The only suggestion I have first loosen the bolt on the top of the link and then it will rotate right in with no grief. I didn't even really need the bottle jack as the rear bar just rolled right down and up without a lot of hassle. Used the bottle jack to keep the bar in place while I slid the bolts in. That said if you do the rear and it is another PIA for U at least I won't be around for you throw to throw the stroke from Indiana under the coach......
Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Somebody give that man a beer!
Old 06-05-2019, 12:31 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Well after much coaxing,lifting the frame to flex the springs, bottle jack under the sway bar, several Dark Blue comments and a bit of persuasion with a 2 lb hammer, we got err done.
So, yeah. You were doing it wrong.

When I did mine, I wiggled my way under the coach. Then with my dominant arm, (mine if the right arm) I pushed up on the undercarriage. This helps take the tension off the sway bar and it's easier to work on. (Note: if the wheels come off the ground then you're pushing up too hard.)

Then, while you hold the coach up, use your free hand (on the other arm) to twist the bolts out of the sway bar. You might have to use your knee to hold up the coach so you can use both hands to remove the nut that holds the sway bar to the frame of the coach.

Now move the sway bar to the location you want, and then reinsert the bolt and twist on the nut.

Let the coach back down, rest a bit, maybe have a beer. Then, repeat the process on the other 3 bars.

Easy Peasy...
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
So, yeah. You were doing it wrong.

When I did mine, I wiggled my way under the coach. Then with my dominant arm, (mine if the right arm) I pushed up on the undercarriage. This helps take the tension off the sway bar and it's easier to work on. (Note: if the wheels come off the ground then you're pushing up too hard.)

Then, while you hold the coach up, use your free hand (on the other arm) to twist the bolts out of the sway bar. You might have to use your knee to hold up the coach so you can use both hands to remove the nut that holds the sway bar to the frame of the coach.

Now move the sway bar to the location you want, and then reinsert the bolt and twist on the nut.

Let the coach back down, rest a bit, maybe have a beer. Then, repeat the process on the other 3 bars.

Easy Peasy...
Lol...you must be as strong as the god of thunder.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Lol...you must be as strong as the god of thunder.
We work out together.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 AM   #9

THOR #14698
I knew I should have held the coach up with my knees and not my forehead, that would have saved the gash...….
Old 06-06-2019, 03:45 AM   #10

State: Ontario
THOR #2111
Welcome to the chf club
You even have a few badges of honour to remember things by
Trust me it was worth the blood, sweat,tears and a few ( maybe a lot) of blue phases.
Enjoy 🤬[emoji856][emoji37]. [emoji12][emoji12]