Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #13548
Where do the solar wires terminate?

Still trying to find out where the solar wires from solar connection terminals on roof of our 2018 Freedom Elite 24FE (Sprinter chassis) terminate. Thor customer service provided wiring diagrams but I don't see the solar wiring. I would like to install two 100 watt flexible panels directly on the roof. Thanks for any help.
Reid

Old 11-20-2018, 02:33 AM   #2

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Orange & White Solar Wires

Mine were lying behind my 12v/ 110v Circuit panel, 2018 Four Winds 22E (E350 Chassis)
Old 11-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #3

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
Still trying to find out where the solar wires from solar connection terminals on roof of our 2018 Freedom Elite 24FE (Sprinter chassis) terminate. Thor customer service provided wiring diagrams but I don't see the solar wiring. I would like to install two 100 watt flexible panels directly on the roof. Thanks for any help.

Reid

In electrical area. Orange and white.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #4

State: California
THOR #13831
I agree Vegas 2018 24.1

Found them behind the power inverter box Orange and white wires
Old 11-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
I have a question about solar...Is the 100 watt panels enough to charge the 12v house batteries in my Quantam. And about how long would it take to charge them.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
100 watts is about 8 amps at 12V. If we assume you have a pair of typical deep cycle batteries you could draw about 100 amp hours max. So about 2 weeks to recharge? The key is estimating what you would actually use per day to see if the panels could keep up. 800 watt hours per day of charge would run my residential fridge compressor for a couple hours. But I don't know how often it runs yet in typical conditions. Also that 800 watt hours would be about 15 minutes of running my on board generator.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 30D
State: New Jersey
THOR #13701
Wires Found, now How Much can I use it?

Wondering how many panels/watts the factory Solar Connection and wires will support? I cant seem to find any specs on what the connection/wires are rated for? How many Watts/Volts?

I have a "Solar Ready" 2018 Four Winds 30D with factory roof connection, no inverter (yet) with 2 house batteries... If I want to jump on some Solar Panels will it support 400W-800W panels? What is the max voltage? If I wanted to Serial & Parallel (2x2 panels = 24V at 200W)?

(Note I still have to put in an Inverter and would like to upgrade to Lithium).
Old 11-28-2018, 02:27 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevad View Post
Wondering how many panels/watts the factory Solar Connection and wires will support? I cant seem to find any specs on what the connection/wires are rated for? How many Watts/Volts?

I have a "Solar Ready" 2018 Four Winds 30D with factory roof connection, no inverter (yet) with 2 house batteries... If I want to jump on some Solar Panels will it support 400W-800W panels? What is the max voltage? If I wanted to Serial & Parallel (2x2 panels = 24V at 200W)?

(Note I still have to put in an Inverter and would like to upgrade to Lithium).
You should measure the wire thickness (AWG) and then check on this chart below to see the max amps that wire can support. I would assume the cable is 15 ft or less in length.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/a...uge-d_730.html

12 AWG is 10 amps, or 10 A * 12V =120W
10 AWG is 20 amps, or 20 A * 12V =240W

My understanding is that the solar ready just means the wires have been run through the RV and that the MC4 connector is installed on the roof. You have to then supply the panels and the charger for the battery.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Quebec
THOR #18418
Pre-Installed wiring for Solar

Quote:
Reid
========================================

Have you found an answer to this situation ? I am looking at similar install for my 2019, 24ft Thor which states "solar ready".

Would like to add 200w setup with (inverter-or modulator) safety to make sure there is a cutoff point when fully charged.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #10

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evening View Post
========================================

Have you found an answer to this situation ? I am looking at similar install for my 2019, 24ft Thor which states "solar ready".

Would like to add 200w setup with (inverter-or modulator) safety to make sure there is a cutoff point when fully charged.

My 2018 Outlaw 29H was solar ready and the wires terminated in the electronics bay. I added two flexible 160W Renogy panels and their 30A Rover MPPT Controller. I also had the two stock 12V batteries in my coach.

I also rewired my Inverter so I could power any items the Inveter could handle.

Here are a couple tests that I did once I had the solar installed:

On a partly sunny day, I ran my refrigerator 8 hours without running into any low battery issues. I did this test with the refrigerator coming from an off state to a cool down state.

One a mostly sunny day, I ran the 5000 BTU garage air conditioner for well over an hour without seeing the battery voltage drop to low enough levels to kick the Inverter into a low voltage error condition.

I could leave my coach parked in the driveway and regardless of weather condition over time, the solar maintained the batteries without needing to be on shore power.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #11

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Reid

Heavy gage wire , Mine are Orange and White. Just look in electronics bay they are probably stuffed underneath Thors beautiful wiring job.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I think k he was asking about the roof end. I’d expect them to be under a sealed access cover on the roof but maybe not. I found one end in the basement of my coach (SOB) but there simply isn’t anything on the roof. It’s vexing.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:51 PM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #16549
looking for passenger cup holder/storage for 29m ideas ?? TX
Old 06-25-2020, 02:23 AM   #14

THOR #19337
Can't find solar wires Quantum

I looked under the bed and all around but have yet to find the wires. I have a 2018 class C Quantum LF31 on a E450 chassis.

any ideas?
Old 06-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #15

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybie View Post
I looked under the bed and all around but have yet to find the wires. I have a 2018 class C Quantum LF31 on a E450 chassis.

any ideas?

Where is your power distribution panel and converter located?

It is likely they are behind the panel. I had a 2018 Outlaw 29H and my panel was below a couple drawers. When I removed the drawers I could gain access to all of the wiring..... including the solar pre-wire.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #16

THOR #19337
Thumbs up Thank you solar wires

Thank you, I finally found them under the fuse panel. I had to partially remove it and then I could find them. Unfortunately they are short, but I can extend them a few feet to the solar controller.

Once you people told me about being under the bed, and behind the fuse panel I was close. Thor told me they were behind the antenna amplifier and another time time simply said look for the orange wire.

I'm not sure how well the wires show in the photo but maybe it'll help someone else.

thanks again everyone,
Rybie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200625_100853.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	24443  
Old 06-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #17

THOR #19337
Smile Thor helped but late

This I just got from Thor, after I found the wires this morning.

this is from the Thor technician.

“The unit has a solar plate only on the roof the wires for the solar plate are located behind the 120 volt breaker box. The wires are orange/blk stripe and white wire taped together 10 ga wire.

Not located behind the power booster.

Advise them they can attach the fused wire from the controller to the back of the battery disconnect. Battery side, send them the battery layout so they can see the cable run back to battery.”
Old 06-27-2020, 01:12 AM   #18

THOR #10717
I was working on my electrical so I found the wires connected to the solar. 10 awg white and orange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_173217.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	24477  
Old 01-22-2021, 04:18 AM   #19

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Quebec
THOR #18418
I own a 2019 Thor 22E, with solar ready : So I understand the wires from solar on roof down to controler are 10 gauge. Last August, I installed a 160 W panel to the 10 amp controller: all working well! My question is : can I add a 30 amp controller and a second panel (about 160 W) with the same internal wires ? It would total 320 Watts to a 30 amp controller : seems ok from my calculations. But would the wires be ok ? (the ones from the roof to the controller) Is this "up to code ?" or safe even a safe setup ?
Old 01-22-2021, 04:49 AM   #20

THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evening View Post
I own a 2019 Thor 22E, with solar ready : So I understand the wires from solar on roof down to controler are 10 gauge. Last August, I installed a 160 W panel to the 10 amp controller: all working well! My question is : can I add a 30 amp controller and a second panel (about 160 W) with the same internal wires ? It would total 320 Watts to a 30 amp controller : seems ok from my calculations. But would the wires be ok ? (the ones from the roof to the controller) Is this "up to code ?" or safe even a safe setup ?
Existing 10 awg wire will not be sufficient for 26 amp load. You can check the calculations here

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html