Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2017, 12:26 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Cluttered dashboard with multiple devices

It seems like the older I get, the more complicated things have become. I now have 4 electrical devices sitting up on my dashboard:
  • EezTire T515 TPMS System
  • Garmin GPS unit
  • Cell phone that contains all of my music
  • The in-coach wireless transmitter for my Blue Ox Patriot braking system
I have a splitter so that all 4 of these devices plug into one 12V socket, but with all of the power cords dangling down and 4 suction cup brackets on the dashboard it all looks sloppy. I was just wondering if I am the only obsessive compulsive person out there. If not, how have others neatened it up, or what suggestions would you have. I know ... what a crisis, huh?!?

Old 02-03-2017, 12:32 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I have several devices on my dash as well. My eventual plan is to attach a single piece of plexiglass which can support all my devices and also run power so I don't have cords going everywhere.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:27 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Only four?

1. GPS
2. Tireminder
3. OBDII Engine Monitor
4. Portable Sirius Satellite Radio
5. Monitor for full time rear view camera
6. Cell phone mount

The wife thinks I am crazy. I'm not sure that I disagree.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:38 AM   #4

THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
Only four?

1. GPS
2. Tireminder
3. OBDII Engine Monitor
4. Portable Sirius Satellite Radio
5. Monitor for full time rear view camera
6. Cell phone mount

The wife thinks I am crazy. I'm not sure that I disagree.
This is my first class A - give me a chance to catch up!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:42 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
3 GPSr's, Blue Ox remote, and cell phone. Added 3 12 sockets to power everything. Oh! box of paper maps by the seat to verify the GPSr's.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:00 AM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Yeah, things out of place bother me a lot too, so I take the less is more approach.

I replaced Garmin GPS function with iPad mini for navigation in large part to simplify. And the iPad will run for hours without plugging in so I only charge it when needed, resulting in even less wires. The rest of the stuff I've done without for now. I'm hoping these kinds of devices will be built-in (GPS, TPMS, camera, etc.) on new units.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:05 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #6162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Yeah, things out of place bother me a lot too, so I take the less is more approach.

I replaced Garmin GPS function with iPad mini for navigation in large part to simplify. And the iPad will run for hours without plugging in so I only charge it when needed, resulting in even less wires. The rest of the stuff I've done without for now. I'm hoping these kinds of devices will be built-in (GPS, TPMS, camera, etc.) on new units.

Chance, I was going to use my ipad mini also, but with areas of no cell service, I may go ahead and get the new Garmin unit.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
Chance, I was going to use my ipad mini also, but with areas of no cell service, I may go ahead and get the new Garmin unit.
From what I've read on this forum it appears some drivers use RV-specific GPS that provide a lot more information than what I get from Google maps, so that's another benefit to a GPS. Since I usually drive a rather small van by comparison to large motorhomes, having RV-specific route information isn't as critical for us to have.

Regarding cell coverage, we've been fairly lucky. We have only done a couple of long trips in the last two years and don't recall it being an issue. The last time I recall being without significant cell coverage was inside Yellowstone years ago, and I was using my Garmin back then.

Ideally I'd like to have the GPS built right into the factory dash and placed where it's easy to see without having to take eyes off the road. The disadvantage with that is my wife wouldn't have access to it as easily as the iPad, which we can just hand off. For now there are compromises either way.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I just use the nav in the Jensen 215 and put nothing on the dash (so far haven't installed a TPMS, HUD, radar detector, etc.).

I will usually study the route we're going to take in the morning before hitting the road. Taking note of any spots that look troublesome. After spending 15-20 minutes doing that the Nav system is just a backup--In addition I often study the route in the days leading up to the trip as well. We've learned not to rely on them too much after an incident in PA where the GPS didn't have all the maps loaded and took us through some interesting roads when the interstate was about 5 miles away (but off the loaded maps). (Yes this was a while ago when GPS units didn't have enough memory to contain the entire US map.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #10

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I am seriously trying to keep just 3 items stuck to my entire dash (two GPS units and a TPMS).

I tried having just my Rand RV GPS on the dash but I found that if it is more positioned in the middle neither one of us can see it that good. If it is right in front of me I can not only glance at it but I can actually hear it. We had another GPS with a 5" screen that works perfect for the passenger side. I pre-plan my gas stop each day so it is nice to have the gas stop destination programed in one of the GPS units and our final daily destination programed into the other.

But having about 16 square feet of dash up there sure makes it temping to come up with additional "stuff" for placement.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I just use the nav in the Jensen 215 and put nothing on the dash (so far haven't installed a TPMS, HUD, radar detector, etc.).

I will usually study the route we're going to take in the morning before hitting the road. Taking note of any spots that look troublesome. After spending 15-20 minutes doing that the Nav system is just a backup--In addition I often study the route in the days leading up to the trip as well. We've learned not to rely on them too much after an incident in PA where the GPS didn't have all the maps loaded and took us through some interesting roads when the interstate was about 5 miles away (but off the loaded maps). (Yes this was a while ago when GPS units didn't have enough memory to contain the entire US map.)
I stopped using my Garmin (inexpensive model received as a gift) soon after it kept trying to make me turn into home driveways on back way into Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, Texas. I was taking a shortcut and the GPS failed miserably.

I'd much rather have less of just about anything as long as I can count on it being reliable. I hate things that don't work right nearly 100% of time. So far Google maps has worked very well for us and it's more convenient.

I wonder if there is a way to mirror an iPad or iPhone display on a larger screen mounted near driver? That is, without using two iPads. It would be nice if my wife could operate and navigate while I could see details at same time. If built into dash it would be better still.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #12

THOR #6277
The Axxera radio in my 35M supposedly mirrors an iPhone or Android phone, if you buy an additional cable. It sounded appealing to be able to use Google Maps from my phone and Mirror it to the radio display, but the few reviews I read about it were not very favorable.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #13

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
The Axxera radio in my 35M supposedly mirrors an iPhone or Android phone, if you buy an additional cable. It sounded appealing to be able to use Google Maps from my phone and Mirror it to the radio display, but the few reviews I read about it were not very favorable.
I have mirrored a tablet, since it has the HDMI out connection. I have not tried it while driving yet to see if it is disabled while in motion, my car has this capability but the screen image goes blank once placed into gear. The other thing is, I like using the rear camera as a 100% rear view mirror while driving, so this monitor is already dedicated for my liking.

Also, newer garmin units can share info with your phone, for better destination searches etc. This really had my interest so I bought a new gamin, only to find out that Google has shut off the communication between google maps and the garmin. Garmin has a phone app to do searches, but it is no google!! . It will not even gather destination data from gas buddy. I returned the GPS.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Unfavorable of the radio or Google Maps?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP
None of the in-dash mirroring is of high enough resolution to be usable.

Its like piping your hi-def TV signal into an old-school NTSC TV...ugh.

(Remember your iPhone and/or iPad now have well over 300 dpi in pixel density where the Jensen and Axxera receivers are lucky if they have 100 dpi!)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #16

THOR #6277
Very good to know. Thanks to all for the information. I also like to have the backup camera in while driving to see what's going on behind me.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Since we use the Axxera rear camera to keep an eye on our toad, I have my cell phone mount, my iPad mount (CoPilot GPS) plus SiriusXM and the TPMS. All wires go through an organizer past the center console and to the top of the dash where they are routed left or right to their mounted electronics.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
I might be the king of devices! I have one monitor for the permanent rear view camera, another monitor with a split image for the permanent side view cameras, a monitor for the front view camera (that allows me to see what is going on in the front of my bumper), another camera and monitor shows me my front right corner that I cannot see from the drivers seat. Another monitor (tablet runs Copilot Life, and a seconfd GPS runs TomTom,
There is a display for the TPMS and another fir the OBD II scanner. All monitors are hard wired and can be turned on or off with individual switches/ Some monitors are installed on the dash in my line of sight, some others are on the side console to my left.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 AM   #19

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Hudsoner, what type of camera and monitor do you use for the front?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Hudsoner, what type of camera and monitor do you use for the front?
For the front and the right front corner I use one of those cheap backup camera/monitors from Peak. They are good enough to let me see if a dog or small person is in front of my coach, and the corner one gives me enough info on those mean concrete curb enforcements in gas stations. I can't see them from the drivers seat, and I am a solo driver with a dog. The dog is not very good in letting me know that I might be ready to wreck my bumper on those curbs.
These units are turned on only, when moving slowly.