Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Are the converters hard on AGM Batteries?

I been thinking of replacing the OEM converter (charger) with the Progressive Dynamic 4655 like some others have on this forum.

Im afraid the OEM converter is going to ruin my new AGM Batteries over time so I been using a portable smart charger for AGM's once in a while and I leave the RV unpluged most of the time.

BUT is this new PD 4655 (4 stage) converter the right choice for AGM's? Looks like they offer a "marine converter" PD2050 (for twice the price) that is designed for AGM and Gel batteries.

The PD4655 does not metion AGM or GEL.

I think the AGM and GEL dont like the desulfating mode?

What do you guys think?

Or am I worried about nothing?

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I would feel more comfortable if PD would specifically and directly address the safe use of this unit with AGM's, since AGM's are so much more sensitive to the slight bit of overcharging. The additional price for the marine unit is about the same price you would pay to replace the AGM's if it didn't work out. I also read somewhere you can reprogram the 4655 for AGM's but that goes over my head.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You could always give PD a call and see what they say about AGM's with the PD4655.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #4

THOR #12231
Yep, you are correct. The price of the marine converter is almost the price of my two 6v AGMs.

I email PD last night and asked them these questions. Still waiting on a reply. I will let you know what they say.

Maybe im worried about nothing. The PD 4655 has to be much better than the OEM converter.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 12-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Are the OEM WFCO converters 55 amps? Looks like they DONT recommend going larger than what the OEM was rated at so you dont overload the OEM wiring.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

THOR #12231
Ok, I just called Progressive Dynamics and the 4655 converter is compatiable with both Lead Acid and AGM batteries.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:14 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
AGMs are still lead/acid batteries so the chemistry is the same. The big things to remember is no equalization as the electrolyte (acid) cannot move; second is all manufactures recommend an maximum charge rate of 10 to 13% of the amp-hr rating of the battery bank for the longest life. So, 55 amp charger would handle a 420 to 550 amp-hour battery banks.. The reason for this limit is the electrolyte can not move, so local overcharging can occur. This means out gassing can occur (water loss) because of the slow oxygen and hydrogen recombination. Water loss in AGMs results in a loss of battery capacity.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:15 AM   #8

THOR #12231
Ok, thanks. I think I will just pull the trigger on this converter. Looking a few other details first.

Can anyone confirm that you DONT need to replace the DC board in the fuse box when you upddate to this PD4655 converter? Looks like it comes with a new DC board (which distributes 12V power and holds all of your DC fuses).

Sound like you replace this board JUST to gain a button and the LED light that show what mode your in (and alows you to change the mode).

I dont see any need for me to change the way the smart charger want to charge so I dont think I would need to change this DC board.

Will it work normal without new board?

Only advantage I see is it would allow you to manualy boost your charging to minimize generator use when in a CG or perhaps conserve fuel while boon docking (or Keep noise down). Gets you to full charge quicker.

But the way I look at it is the smart charger will maintain the battery(S) better for longer life if I just leave it alone.

What do you think?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Agreed on the PD 4655 being ok for AGM batteries, this was one of my questions for the technicians also. You must use the new DC board provided, the whole converter change out only took me about 2 hours last weekend. Of course I spent the rest of the day straightening up, insulating and zip-tying wires and connections behind the breaker box. (It's a Thor/RV thing). I would also recommend purchasing the PD 92201 Remote Pendent also, (about $11). Makes the testing of unit much easier in the future!
Old 12-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
I was reading the thread and it brought up a question. I have a 30 amp system with one group 27 battery. Soon I will need to replace the battery.

Would it be ok to replace the battery with an AGM battery with the existing OEM converter.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichFigs View Post
Agreed on the PD 4655 being ok for AGM batteries, this was one of my questions for the technicians also. You must use the new DC board provided, the whole converter change out only took me about 2 hours last weekend. Of course I spent the rest of the day straightening up, insulating and zip-tying wires and connections behind the breaker box. (It's a Thor/RV thing). I would also recommend purchasing the PD 92201 Remote Pendent also, (about $11). Makes the testing of unit much easier in the future!
Ok, good to know. I just purhased it. Wont arrive until the 28th but thats Okay.

Yeah I saw that Pendent.... It will work with the 4655? It only said the 9100 and 9200 series on line.

Were did you mount your pendent. Do you find your changing the way it charges or are you more interested in what mode its in?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #12

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
I was reading the thread and it brought up a question. I have a 30 amp system with one group 27 battery. Soon I will need to replace the battery.

Would it be ok to replace the battery with an AGM battery with the existing OEM converter.

Thanks
Yes, thats what I have (TWO 6v AGM's) but I was afraid over time the factory converter will ruin my new battieres.

The problem is you read so many horror stores on this forum and it make me pro-active.

Im glad I when with AGM's... Much better than the lead acid in every way (put price). I highly recommend AGM's to anyone.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Ok, thanks. I think I will just pull the trigger on this converter. Looking a few other details first.

Can anyone confirm that you DONT need to replace the DC board in the fuse box when you upddate to this PD4655 converter? Looks like it comes with a new DC board (which distributes 12V power and holds all of your DC fuses).

Sound like you replace this board JUST to gain a button and the LED light that show what mode your in (and alows you to change the mode).

I dont see any need for me to change the way the smart charger want to charge so I dont think I would need to change this DC board.

Will it work normal without new board?

Only advantage I see is it would allow you to manualy boost your charging to minimize generator use when in a CG or perhaps conserve fuel while boon docking (or Keep noise down). Gets you to full charge quicker.

But the way I look at it is the smart charger will maintain the battery(S) better for longer life if I just leave it alone.

What do you think?
When I replaced my WFCO with the PD, I found that my OEM DC distribtion board was 40 amp, while the one that came with the PD was 30 amps. I called PD and discussed it with them. They said I could keep the existing distribution board and suggested I get the external dongle to monitor and control charging mode. I got the dongle and kept the old distribtion board. It’s been a couple of years and no issues. I think that since I Got my unit, they have upgraded the distribution board they provide to 40 amps.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/ch...emote-pendant/
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #14

THOR #12231
Do you find your adjusting the charge manually very much. Or you just like to monitor what stage your in?

I think for the most part I would just leave it alone.

I think the only time you want to change it is when you know you only have like 2 hours left to be plugged in or you can only run your Genny for ony 2 (or 3) hours and you want to maximize your charge.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:33 AM   #15

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Since our RV the engine charges the coach batteries, I wonder if the standard alternator/voltage regulator is damaging my coach AGM batteries? I do not leave the OEM battery converter on when storing the RV. I use a maintainer specifically designed for AGM batteries. The maintainer has a desulfation mode.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:07 PM   #16

THOR #12231
I would think it would be fine. In my other vehicles I have used AGM's for years with no problems. I usually get 7 years out of them too! Plus zero maintains.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:23 PM   #17

THOR #12231
Santa said I was good

Here is a picture of my new Progressive Dynamics smart converter. PD 4655 (55 amp).

I might try and install next weekend if all goes well.

It will take a little time since PD wants you to replace the 12v circuit board (It has all of the 12 v fuses on it). The new board has a little button (to change charge mod) and a green led to indicate which charging mod your in. Not sure if I would change much but I guess its nice to check to see what its doing.

Or if I want to charge for only like 2 or 3 hours and I want it on the highest setting I have that option.

I also noticed the new converter has TWO variable speed fans. I bet the OEM only has one fan (and it only know HIGH speed).

I guess I find out when I remove the old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5232.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	14824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5223.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	14825