Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Dedicated 110V circuit

Does your electric heater and coffee pot over load your circuit? Can you add a griddle or skillet? How about a hair dryer? Used a male marine plug and went through the side of a slide to add a dedicated 110V outlet to my coach. It will plug into power pedestal with a heavy duty extension cord. Should I make it GFCI or worry about some sort of fuse breaker?

Old 04-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
We wanted to run 2 heaters if needed, and run the coffee pot. I would always use gfi and weather proof exterior outlets if within 6 ft of water or weather exposed.
We have never blown a circuit, but we didn't want to any issues when we are setup in cold or rainy weather.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #6026
I will ask Cliff about the technical things. I am not supposed to post until he mansplains things to me. I always post before I ask, so sometimes I use the wrong terms or info.
Heat appliances should work on the 30 amp, but an extra 20 amp just gives us piece of mind.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #4

THOR #7227
Exterior outlet has a good weatherproof seal just unsure if GFCI would be beneficial?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #10354
Ext power

I think you know the answer to this and this is why we have Ground Fault Interrupter circuits to begin with. I would not trust the RV parks grounds or polarity and hope that you will not either. There was a story (and a lawsuit) regarding a GCFI improper pool installation and of course, a death occurred. I hope NO one gives you the blessing to do this. Just keep your loads down to no more than 2 high current loads and the 30 A circuit should have no problems as designed and built.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #6

THOR #7227
Not a 30A circuit. This is a 15A male marine plug that will attach to power pedestal with 14-2 extension cord wired to receptacle with 14-2 home wire.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #7

THOR #7227
Perhaps some pics will helpClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	9718
This is where extension cord will plug into rig
Old 04-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #8

State: California
THOR #10354
Gcfi

You can buy an extension cord with a GCFI built in to the cord. This is the ONLY way I would consider it OK to use your separate outlet....just in case.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
You can buy an extension cord with a GCFI built in to the cord. This is the ONLY way I would consider it OK to use your separate outlet....just in case.
There are several safe alternatives to add GFCI...
Sounds like the OP is plugging into a 110/20a circuit on pedestal. By code I expect these are already GFCI protected (as they are outdoor 110 15a/20a outlets)... but certainly don't need to trust that...

A GFCI extension cord, or GFCI plug as the only (or first) outlet inside would add protection.

Note that most outlets in the RV are NOT protected by GFCI - typically only the exterior, and anything within 6' of water (kitchen counter, bathroom). These are where GFCI earns its keep.
If not in proximity to water inside, and using the waterproof marine outlet to pass power in - while it can't hurt to use one, I wouldn't go as far as saying it is required...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
nice install, and an excellent place to put it, out of sight when you're traveling!

yes, good idea, and no need to worry or fret, the power pole will most likely already be a GFCI outlet regardless, which is WHY campgrounds and parks are required to have them, to protect the public.

we use additional space heaters all the time during winter, and I often will also run an extension cord from the 15/20a GFCI power pole outlet into the wet bay for a heater there when it's 'really' cold out! This keeps this draw from within the rigs breaker box and less likely to add too much amperage and trip an internal breaker.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:06 PM   #11

THOR #7227
Dedicated 110V circuit

I have heard too many gfci can cause problems but my brother in law has been using this set up for several years with no problem. Not sure if he has a gfci inside or not but will see him in a couple of weeks and ask him to look at my install