Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2015, 11:22 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
dinette table in 24.1 modification help

I'm thinking about buying the 24.1 axis because of the twin beds. However, I would like to change the sofa to a small dinette.

How difficult is it? Are there pre existing bolts under the slide out? I'm having a hard time visualizing what is actually under the slide out once I remove the sofa bed. I just want to get an idea what I can and can't do.

I hope to get some get advice. We really like the 24.1, but would like to do one minor mod. Remove the sofa bed on the slide and put in a dinette chair and table.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:43 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
When our 2014 24.1 was new our couch had a tear, and Thor sent a replacement for our tech to install. Hence we have seen the slide out floor. As I recall there was not much underneath. Just an electrical box and tie down fasteners for the seat belts. There is matching flooring under the couch. I would be more concerned about the step down you will have that the front edge of the couch covers.

Just a thought: We use the two front seats with the table between them as our eating area. Great view out that big windshield, too. Would that work for you, and then you could still have the couch for seating as well?
Old 11-16-2015, 03:13 AM   #3

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
I heartily second Happily's suggestion. If you haven't already, spend a couple of days using the front table as your dining table. We tried both and quickly decided that the front table works better for us in all regards.

The big table in front of the couch makes the unit feel even smaller that it is, makes access to the couch awkward, and access to the cabinets above the couch really difficult. The last was our biggest complaint because the cabinets over the couch are our "pantry".

I made a replacement for the front table out of cherry. It looks better and is half the weight of the composite nightmare that came with the coach.

Using the front table also frees up the couch to be replaced with a pair of nice wall-hugger recliners. A much better use of the space in my opinion. I haven't quite got my wife there though...

Regards,

Randy
Old 11-16-2015, 03:55 AM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanoel View Post
I'm thinking about buying the 24.1 axis because of the twin beds. However, I would like to change the sofa to a small dinette.

....cut....
I like the idea of a narrow dinette also, and believe Thor should offer one as an option to the couch. I think dinettes offer more seating, and most importantly, offer forward-facing seating.

The main disadvantage to a dinette for me is that seats don't face the TV over the door. However, since some models already have a dinette, it can't be that big a deal.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I don't think that slide is wide enough for more than a two person dinette. In that instance the couch can hold more people (3) than a dinette would.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I don't think that slide is wide enough for more than a two person dinette. In that instance the couch can hold more people (3) than a dinette would.
I've worried that the slide is not long enough on the 24.1 -- haven't measured to see if it's the same as the ones with dinettes. The couch doesn't appear as wide as a dinette is long. I've assumed that may be why Thor doesn't offer a dinette as an option in the 24.1.

Are you saying that the slide could not be modified to install this kind of dinette in place of couch?

After reading OP again, the dinette they refer to may be a table and chairs, of residential design. Not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1062  
Old 11-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

THOR #2121
As stated before, our personal preference would be a 24.1 with this type of dinette, just made 38 or 39 inches wide for a little extra aisle width. It would make a normal bed size and could sit up to four small adults or children for short trips -- like a football game.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1063  
Old 11-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Appears Thor is only putting dinettes in the 26.5' models. Looks like they need that extra foot for the dinette.

Seems like Thor still is a couple of models away from meeting all of our wants!!!

After having a dinette and couch in our previous coach we knew we could easily give up the dinette when downsizing. Used ours as a place to have the dog crate under the table! Our opinion was it was not very comfortable for extended sitting, and had no neck support when traveling. Am sure others with better backs or young children would like it much better than us!!!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #9

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Agree with Randy -- we do not use the dining table because it restricts the living space. We use the side table between the Captain's Chairs to eat. Also agree that the size of the slide almost means the dinette would only be two person. It would seem much more comfortable sitting on a soft couch to watch TV rather than sitting sideways in a dinette with your head tilted upward because of the height of the mounted TV.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
...cut...

The big table in front of the couch makes the unit feel even smaller that it is, makes access to the couch awkward, and access to the cabinets above the couch really difficult. The last was our biggest complaint because the cabinets over the couch are our "pantry".

....cut....
I think that's key; and for good reason. In most cases a couch with a dinning table located in front of it takes more room away from back wall than a typical 4-person dinette. There is also a longer reach to overhead cabinets over couch table than over a 38~39-inch dinette.

And in our case, since 95 percent of travel is just the two of us, a dinette allows getting in and out to be much simpler. Particularly without a slide because the floor is flush.

Regarding watching TV located high over door that others have mentioned, that's indeed an issue. I prefer TVs at eye level, but realize the TV located over the door is an Axis/Vegas design signature.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We use the table for dining (there is 3 of us) but we'll break it down afterwards (the addition of the table straps really makes it easier to setup/break down the table: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...raps-1088.html--I did that back in January and the straps are holding up great).

In our case the pantry is the large cupboard above the sink. The dishes and pans are in the three drawers below the stove (don't have an oven). The above couch cabinets contain paper plates/plastic silverware, trash bags, napkins, etc.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #12

Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
THOR #2025
Thanks for all the feedback.

I called Thor and explain what we wanted. They said that the conversion could be done at the dealer level.

We had a class c with a dinette table setup and it worked very well for us. Facing forward is an absolute must because we want the kids (one 6 and another 8) to take in all the views as we travel. Also, we bring down the table because my helicopter wife wants the kids strapped in car seats.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #13

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3578
Thor 27.1 Dinette Issue

We just got a 2015 ACE 27.1, and when I listed up the dinette table, the screws on the mounting ripped out of the particle board instead of the leg slipping out of the mounting. Not a big deal to repair (done) but we are concerned that the legs don't seem to slip out very easily - has anyone experienced this and more importantly, does anyone have a tip to keep this from happening? Lubrication?
Old 01-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #14

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Check out Ziggys Vegas at the link below for his very nice dinette conversion. See mod. #408
He should start doing conversions.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...html#post23009
Old 03-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #15

THOR #25463
The problem with the factory table in front of the couch in the 24.1 is that it can only be used when the slide is out. The couch covers the receptacles when traveling. Passengers have no surface upon which to use laptops, other devices, or even a book. I'm contemplating adding flush mount receptacles and a much narrower table top that the couch doesn't cover while traveling to create a surface for passengers. Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2022, 09:19 PM   #16

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Here's what we recently did. It's just my wife & I and our 2 Bichon's. We don't use the long table that mounts on the 2 poles in front of the couch.

My wife bought 4 chopping blocks (12 X 18 X 2) at Costco. I took the mounts for the 3 poles off the long table and the table for between the captain chairs. We got rid of the heavy resin/plastic tables that came with the Vegas. I mounted the pole mounts in the center on each of three of the butcher blocks. We'll use them then as individual 1 person tales.

The fourth chopping block we'll use on top of the stove cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	36682  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:06 PM   #17

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
I am so glad that no has complained about resurrecting an old thread.
We have been reading this forum for months and never saw this discussion.

We FINALLY go word our 24.1 is transporting in the next days.
And this post has been very helpful.