Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
DIY Rear Shock Replacement on class C

I'm replacing the shocks on my Chateau 31E with some Bilstein HD shocks. I have completed the fronts (which were a pain because it's nearly impossible to get a tool on the upper shock mount nuts), and now I need to do the rear. I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

On the right rear, the upper mounting nut is not accessible because there are exhaust brackets and heat shields in the way. It looks as if the approach would be to remove the exhaust hanger brackets and drop the exhaust down, and then maneuver a tool over the heat shield to get to the nut. Has anyone done this and has any recommendations?

Old 10-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Sounds like it would be a whole lot less hassle to just take it in and have a shock place do the work, seeing they have the tools and the know how.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

THOR #5837
Well, I successfully changed the rear shocks. As expected, the driver's side one was a pain because of the exhaust heat shield in the way. I removed the muffler hanger bracket, and I was able to reach over the frame rail by the wheel well to get a tool on the top shock nut. After a long time with a ratcheting wrench turning a few millimeters at a time, I finally got an air ratchet on there to get the nut off and on.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
Well, I successfully changed the rear shocks. As expected, the driver's side one was a pain because of the exhaust heat shield in the way. I removed the muffler hanger bracket, and I was able to reach over the frame rail by the wheel well to get a tool on the top shock nut. After a long time with a ratcheting wrench turning a few millimeters at a time, I finally got an air ratchet on there to get the nut off and on.
Good for you for sticking with it! I usually do all my work, but wimped out when it came to installing the shocks. Unfortunately, they went with the old motorhome...
Old 10-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #5

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
State: New York
THOR #16600
How is the performance with the new shocks? Did you or do you plan to change the front also?
Old 10-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #6

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
How is the performance with the new shocks? Did you or do you plan to change the front also?

I had already replaced the front ones, and they are a huge pain as well. There is very little space between the frame and truck body, especially on the driver's side, so it's very difficult to get a tool on the upper mounting nut. And when you do get a tool on there, you can only turn it about 1/16 turn at a time, so it's a very tedious job.

The performance with the new shocks is good. I first got a good alignment, installed big Hellwig swaybars, and a Saf-T-Plus steering controller. Those things made a big difference in driveability and stability on the highway, and in steering feel, and no more getting pushed across my lane when a semi passes. The new shocks got rid of wallowing on non-smooth roads and improved ride quality a bit. Not as big an improvement as the other mods, but still noticeable.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:24 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #19023
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
This sounds like the exact problem I face with my Quantum RW28. Is it possible to get a wrench on that top nut, then turn the shock instead of turning the nut? The hole is just so small that can’t imagine being able to use any kind of ratchet.

What model air ratchet were you able to use?
Old 02-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #8

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave__C View Post
This sounds like the exact problem I face with my Quantum RW28. Is it possible to get a wrench on that top nut, then turn the shock instead of turning the nut? The hole is just so small that can’t imagine being able to use any kind of ratchet.

What model air ratchet were you able to use?
The air ratchet is a Husky brand from Home Depot.

I suppose you could put a wrench or vise grips on the upper nut and turn the shock, but if you can get an air ratchet up in there it will make it a lot quicker and easier.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:24 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #19023
Thanks. I’ll be attempting to get it done after a trip this weekend. So far, I just replaced the rear driver’s side which is the easy one. The front ones are hard, but I’m confident I know what to do. It’s the rear passenger one that had me wondering what idiot designed the thing,