Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
"To drill or not to drill"

So what is under this black coating on the bottom of my wood floor??

I was going to drill a hole in the bottom of the RV going up into the kitchen area. The entire floor (looking from the ground up) looks black and it that under the RV. I’m assuming is water resistant coating to protect the wood. I was near the battery box and about 4 inches from the inside wall and 6 inches from the outside of the metal battery box and one inches from one of the rotocast storage compartments under the RV. I noticed the drill was not biting the “Wood” floor so I stopped and looked up and the “wood” floor ad some shinny aluminum under the black coating.

What is going on here? Is it too close the edge of the RV that is some sort of aluminum bracket to hold on to the walls? Do I have an aluminum skin under the wood floor that is covered with a black stuff? Can I go inboard a few more inches to avoid it or just don’t worry about it and drill away as long as nothing is on the other side (Like wires or pluming)? Any thought or experience with this?

In the Picture below look at the brown spot (with a little silver showing though) where I test drilled right next to "one" on the upside down "14" written in white.

And Yeah I know the Thor bracket is NOT attached to the plastic "Roto cast" comparment. Its still seems very solid (dont budge when checked it) and I only put my plastic leveling blocks in it.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #2

THOR #12231
Here you go. I forgot to upload pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4758.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	11696  
Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I can only speak from my ACE experience with removing the surface mount table leg trip hazards and installing recessed table leg holders in my floor.
I did not go all the way through the floor.

I had:
Vinyl flooring
1/2 to 3/4 subfloor wood
Steel metal channels about 2&1/2" wide by 1&1/2" deep (as I recall). They looked like boxed u-channels welded together.

So coming from the bottom you may be hitting the steel channels; not aluminum.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #4

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I can only speak from my ACE experience with removing the surface mount table leg trip hazards and installing recessed table leg holders in my floor.
I did not go all the way through the floor.

I had:
Vinyl flooring
1/2 to 3/4 subfloor wood
Steel metal channels about 2&1/2" wide by 1&1/2" deep (as I recall). They looked like boxed u-channels welded together.

So coming from the bottom you may be hitting the steel channels; not aluminum.
Ok, thanks. I suspect its a thin sheet in this area only. Not like im trying to drill into some sort of bracket or bracing under coach or frame. This area is NOT raised up compared to the rest of the floor and im sure THor did not cover the entire floor with some thick, heavy and expensive metal floor covering. Plus I see many wood screws in the floor so Im sure its some sort of thin metal I can drill though but I wanted to make sure. Maybe I just need to move over a few inches or feet?

I will need a hole in this area for my future solar project.

Thanks for your input.