Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2018, 01:14 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Drive Handling Improvements

Added the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer in the front and a Rear Sway Bar on our 2017 Miramar 34.1 and they made a big difference.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4434.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	10996

Old 06-25-2018, 01:46 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
Added the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer in the front and a Rear Sway Bar on our 2017 Miramar 34.1 and they made a big difference.Attachment 10996
Look good, did you install it yourself ?
I had our 2017 Challenger 37 TB front end Aligned, it made quite a difference, now when I add the Steering Stabilizer and the Cheap Handling Fix it will hadle like a dream !
Old 06-25-2018, 01:56 AM   #3

THOR #12091

Yes I installed it myself. It was generally a pretty straight forward install. The hardest part was loosening the 2 ubolt nuts on the right front spring in order to attach the bracket. A breaker bar solved that problem. Then torquing those 2 nuts to 250 ft lbs was difficult while lying underneath.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:57 AM   #4

THOR #11321
Quote:
Yes I installed it myself. It was generally a pretty straight forward install. The hardest part was loosening the 2 ubolt nuts on the right front spring in order to attach the bracket. A breaker bar solved that problem. Then torquing those 2 nuts to 250 ft lbs was difficult while lying underneath.
Thanks, thinking I'll do myself, any problem getting it zeroed in ? I've already had a frontend alignment, should make it eaiser, I hope.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:59 AM   #5

THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
Thanks, thinking I'll do myself, any problem getting it zeroed in ? I've already had a frontend alignment, should make it eaiser, I hope.

No problem zeroing in. Mine was on point by just making sure the wheels are pointed straight forward upon install.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:06 AM   #6

THOR #11321
Quote:
No problem zeroing in. Mine was on point by just making sure the wheels are pointed straight forward upon install.
[emoji106]
Old 06-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

I did my Roadmaster as well. Easy and mine too was spot on from the start. As mentioned be certain the wheels are straight before you start and you’ll be close or fine.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #8

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I did my Roadmaster as well. Easy and mine too was spot on from the start. As mentioned be certain the wheels are straight before you start and you’ll be close or fine.
I had a Front End Alignment done so like you say, if I make sure the wheels are straight I should be good.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #9

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
I had a Front End Alignment done so like you say, if I make sure the wheels are straight I should be good.

I would also suggest you make note of the EXACT steering wheel position on a dead straight road. Maybe a couple of different roads. And then go by that steering wheel position. I know some people go so far as to tape a stick to the dashboard that rests on top of the steering wheel. Then with a strip of masking tape on the top of the wheel it’s easy (well sort of) to mark the wheels proper position. On the other hand, making small adjustments to fine tune the steering stabilizer are so easy it might not be worth the bother. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #10

THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I would also suggest you make note of the EXACT steering wheel position on a dead straight road. Maybe a couple of different roads. And then go by that steering wheel position. I know some people go so far as to tape a stick to the dashboard that rests on top of the steering wheel. Then with a strip of masking tape on the top of the wheel it’s easy (well sort of) to mark the wheels proper position. On the other hand, making small adjustments to fine tune the steering stabilizer are so easy it might not be worth the bother. Good luck.
[emoji106]
Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #11

State: Mississippi
THOR #12861
Quote:
Added the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer in the front and a Rear Sway Bar on our 2017 Miramar 34.1 and they made a big difference.Attachment 10996
Does these types of systems not add stress to the power steering causing premature failure of the power steering ?
Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #12

THOR #12091
Not that I have heard. I can’t envision how that could be the case since power steering systems are hydraulic and robust enough to handle it. The spring actually assists with calming the steering wheel from adverse forces and helps return the wheels to centered alignment. Whether you are stretching the spring or compressing the spring it is always going to return to its neutral position. The exception to that would be if a bracket, bolt or the spring broke.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:56 AM   #13

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Winds 5000 View Post
Does these types of systems not add stress to the power steering causing premature failure of the power steering ?

Wouldn’t think so. I presume you are concerned that working against the spring will be “harder” for the system. But, of course it “easier” when returning to center so maybe it all balances out. And I also think the system is robust enough to handle a lot more stress than this spring. I’m glad I have mine.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:12 AM   #14

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Steering stabilizer is a GREAT add. Helps the steering staying centered in normal driving but in a the event of a blowout it can be a lifesaver. We had our Roadmaster Steering Stablizer installed soon after buying our coach. We now 52k+ miles on our coach and one front wheel blowout behind us. Our coach handles really well and in the event of the blowout we can attest to how much it helps to keep the coach moving straight ahead.

No problems with stressing the power steering (that we are aware of).

This is a link to our recounting of the blowout. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...els-10539.html
Old 08-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #15

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
I can understand the purpose of the steering stabilizer. My question is would it help a Class C as much as it does for a Class A. Class A has bigger tires and the CG is a lot higher so when a tire blows there is more movement and weight that moves toward the blown tire.

Has anyone in a Class C ever have a blown front tire and what was the results. Did you have a steering stabilizer.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #16

THOR #6826
More like than a blowout is dropping a wheel off the edge of the pavement. Had this happen in my class C with a wandering oncoming, inattentive driver on a narrow road. It was briefly terrifying. I then puta steering stabilizer on the coach but, thankfully haven’t had occasion to test it yet.
Personally, I think the device might be of greater benefit on a C than an A because so many C’s are at (or above) their GVWR or other chassis design specs.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:44 AM   #17

State: Florida
THOR #10788
I actually traded my Chateau 31W for a Vegas 25.4 because I hated the way it drove in windy conditions. I think it would be needed more on a big class C.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:07 PM   #18

State: Michigan
THOR #3954

I also put Roadmaster anti-sway bars front and rear on our 2016 Miramar.
Yes, along with several other suspension upgrades, they made a big difference in the handling quality.

Recently I’ve heard and felt a vague popping when making a tight turn and over uneven pavement, and the handling’s seemed a tad less precise.

I took our rig to a shop to give it a good look over before our big outing to the west coast, and mentioned the popping.

The mechanic said he thought he might have found the problem and showed me these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2177.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	12524

The two shackles holding the OEM rear anti-sway bar had snapped apart: Most of one was missing.

FYI the Roadmaster rear bar doesn’t replace the OEM, but supplements it. Replacement shackles are on order.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #19

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel556180 View Post
I also put Roadmaster anti-sway bars front and rear on our 2016 Miramar.
Yes, along with several other suspension upgrades, they made a big difference in the handling quality.

Recently I’ve heard and felt a vague popping when making a tight turn and over uneven pavement, and the handling’s seemed a tad less precise.

I took our rig to a shop to give it a good look over before our big outing to the west coast, and mentioned the popping.

The mechanic said he thought he might have found the problem and showed me these.

Attachment 12524

The two shackles holding the OEM rear anti-sway bar had snapped apart: Most of one was missing.

FYI the Roadmaster rear bar doesn’t replace the OEM, but supplements it. Replacement shackles are on order.

I guess I need to add crawl over and under as I meticulously inspect every single component to my before and after trip routine. What Fun! This RV thing is great!
Old 08-30-2018, 09:16 PM   #20

State: Michigan
THOR #3954

Yes, it does require a certain amount of physical attention. Not an appliance for sure.