Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #15181
E-Bike rack with Toad

Hello all! We have a Vegas 24.1 and would like to carry two e-Bikes but still be able to flat tow a toad. I've searched a bit on the internet with very little luck. Does anyone do this now and how about telling me about your setup!
thanks!! We are looking at the Rad bikes Rover...two of them.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #15181
Sorry, my answer just dawned on me...put a rack in the hitch of the toad...Duh. I guess sometimes I get target fixation and don't think!
Old 05-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgable View Post
Sorry, my answer just dawned on me...put a rack in the hitch of the toad...Duh. I guess sometimes I get target fixation and don't think!
LOL! No issues here: As a bonus if the toad has the same receiver as the RV you can just use the bike rack on the RV when you don't bring the toad along.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Tough to "find" a rack capable of the job for the long haul Note that a rack good for a car/truck might be not be good for Motorhome. Very few are rated for TT or 5th and that's essentially what your toad would be. Small side to side forces are different when towed than when driven and sure would suck to loose a Rad on the highway due to metal fatigue!

Rad Power bikes are HEAVY as are most $ conscious good eBikes! Common bike rack choices capable of eBike weights are few. Consider your bike weight and find a rack design capability that exceeds your dynamic weight requirements.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #5

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Hollywood racks can easily carry the weight. Using a split receiver, one for the toad and one for the rack, is doable but can damaged both in tight turns. It’s also illegal in some states. It’s also not recommended to use a rack on a toad, written on most racks. But. You see people doing both. Get collapsables and put in the car or the RV.. to heavy for the roof.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:44 AM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
I've been using Thule DoubleTrack for 10 years. They make heavy duty pro versions for 2 or 4 bikes. No, they're not cheap, but neither are your e-bikes. It was well worth the expense. I would buy it again. Also parts are available and after 10 years and lots of use I'm going to replace a couple of parts that still work but are worn.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #7

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
I've been using Thule DoubleTrack for 10 years. They make heavy duty pro versions for 2 or 4 bikes. No, they're not cheap, but neither are your e-bikes. It was well worth the expense. I would buy it again. Also parts are available and after 10 years and lots of use I'm going to replace a couple of parts that still work but are worn.
Got a link? Haven’t found a Thule that can carry enough weight for these bikes.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Got a link? Haven’t found a Thule that can carry enough weight for these bikes.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...tch-bike-racks

I picked mine out and had my LBS order for me.

EDIT: Max bike weight is 65lbs.
Load capacity 130lbs.

Depending on the weight of your e-bike it may or may not work.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #9

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...tch-bike-racks

I picked mine out and had my LBS order for me.

EDIT: Max bike weight is 65lbs.
Load capacity 130lbs.

Depending on the weight of your e-bike it may or may not work.
For the Rad bikes its probably not a good idea. Its 68 with the battery but by time you add any accessories, locks etc you might sneak in but not enough margin for my liking. I see quite a few of these Thules collasping on blogs.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
Swagman makes a carrier designed for RV's and E bikes. I have one and use it with a double hitch when I bring a trailer along

https://www.swagman.net/product/escapee/
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #11

THOR #12830
Same weight issue Swagman are 60 lb max. Double hitches are illegal in some States. Depends on enforcement like everything else.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #12635
Quote:
Same weight issue Swagman are 60 lb max. Double hitches are illegal in some States. Depends on enforcement like everything else.

Looks like a motorcycle carrier is the only thing that will haul your bikes and most of this use the receiver hitch too. I think your need to start looking at a trailer to haul car and other toys.
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This Hollywood rack is good for 80lbs per bike (specifically designed for eBikes); it does say not to use it on a toad however.
https://hollywoodracks.com/collectio...nt=46430699910
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #14

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
This Hollywood rack is good for 80lbs per bike (specifically designed for eBikes); it does say not to use it on a toad however.
https://hollywoodracks.com/collectio...nt=46430699910
pretty much all carriers you can't/shouldnt use since the weight lifts the front of the toad. I heard its illegal in some States.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #15

THOR #1944
That Hollywood is the Rad Power Bike recommended rack. And they say it is good for motorhomes so that's a big plus. However, a towed car has the same movements that a trailer has and maybe worse due to long rear overhangs on some motorhomes. Having 4 down doesn't magically change characteristics inherent to towing.

FWIW... I went with a ROLA Vortex 600lb rated cargo rack for two 75lb folding eBikes. Easy lock bikes to the rack, strap them down and cover for travel. Consider additional bike weight such as a good lock that can be an additional 5lb all by itself. Basically I couldn't find weight ratings in a conventional bike rack that wouldn't be near max, and ... figured a cargo carrier had more uses.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #16

THOR #12830
Posted right in the manual not to used on behind towed vehicles but OK.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post

.....cut.... Very few are rated for TT or 5th and that's essentially what your toad would be. Small side to side forces are different when towed than when driven and sure would suck to loose a Rad on the highway due to metal fatigue!

.... cut....
I think a four-wheel toad would behave very differently than a travel trailer or 5er. Because TTs and 5ers have wheels close to center of mass, the rear bumper can move very quickly not only side to side, but more importantly up and down. That’s what would concern me most.

I’m assuming we are discussing a hitch receiver mounted to rear bumper of a trailer. If not, this comment doesn’t apply.

Personally, I expect the ride at back of most toads is softer and smoother than if bike carrier is mounted to motorhome receiver. On my body-on-frame E-Series, I found bikes off receiver go through a lot of vibration that transmits directly through vehicle frame. For that reason, and others, I started hauling my bikes inside when possible. Toads with stiff suspensions and body-on-frame design (like Jeeps and pickups) should be a lot worse than car-based toads with unitized construction and soft rear suspensions in my opinion.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #18

THOR #1944
Yes Chance, I agree that a toad would typically have less of the bad movement of a typical TT. However the movement of being "towed" will still definitely be present and it is amplified by "lengths". Multiple lengths become a factor; TV wheelbase, TV overhang behind rear axel, hitch to front of Toad first axel, etc... bla'bla ... not worth the physics... A 5th wheel could have less side-to-side movement in the back than a Toad but most certainly less than a comparable TT because the pivot is at or near the TV rear axel.

Towed is towed regardless of TT, 5th or Toad. Generalities like this are when it's important to know what or how amplified those forces/movements are and that depends completely on the combination. A short wheelbase motorhome with long overhang pulling a toad with a hitch rack off the back would see vastly more side-to-side movement than a 40' with the same rear over-hang distance pulling the same toad & rack.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:13 PM   #19

THOR #1944
Quote:
Posted right in the manual not to used on behind towed vehicles but OK.
I'm not sure who that was directed toward ... but it sort of directly follows my response? Did I miss something? Here's the ROLA manual and I'm not seeing any warning about trailer or towed use? http://www.rolaproducts.com/support/...ion/N59502.pdf
Old 05-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #20

THOR #12830
Bottom sentence. I’ve seen this elsewhere and for other racks but ...whatever works for ya.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	17464