Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
EMS (Electrical Management System)

OK, so I've used these systems in every RV I've had in the past. The last one was a Hardwired 50a progressive industries because someone else stole my park pole mounted one while we were sleeping. So unless someone tells me there is a better one out there, I plan on installing the Progressive Industries 50a hardwired unit within a couple of weeks. So question is:

What is the best for the buck EMS for the motorhome?

Old 11-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
OK, so I've used these systems in every RV I've had in the past. The last one was a Hardwired 50a progressive industries because someone else stole my park pole mounted one while we were sleeping. So unless someone tells me there is a better one out there, I plan on installing the Progressive Industries 50a hardwired unit within a couple of weeks. So question is:

What is the best for the buck EMS for the motorhome?
Family Motor Coaching Magazine had a very informative article on Energy Management Systems back in April 2015. The reviewed systems by Precision Circuits and Xantrex. One thing they do mention is that with installing a Precision Circuits EMS you will need to swap out the breaker box, whereas that is not the case with the Xantrex Freedom Sequence. They also state that the Xantrex is also best for an RV that already has a Xantrex inverter installed.

If you are an FMCA member to can get the article in the April 2015 back issue.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #3

THOR #3195
Thanks Dave, I'll check it out today.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

THOR #3195
So this is what I found out between three:
Precision Circuits - is out, no way am I replacing the breaker box as well
Down to two; Xantrex Freedom Sequence and Progressive Industries

Xantrex ($350) is a limited warranty to start with and you have to have the SCP (Xanbus System Control Panel) to go with it, at an additional cost (min +35.00) Internally, it has 8 mechanical switches for different power situations, circuit boards for the rest.
Progressive ($410) is lifetime warranty to start with and you can choose if you want the remote, a substantial savings if you choose not. It has no additional mechanical switches (done electronically with circuit boards).

Other than that, both boards do the same thing and do it well. I choose Progressive only for the lifetime warranty and the fact it has less mechanical parts. You can get both boards right now for less than shown, they are on specials right now, the Xantrex for about 325 + remote +35, and Progressive 318 less if you choose less remote, I wanted the remote

It's ordered, so the next project is installation and I have two choices for that, either the bay where the auto-switch is or in the motorhome under the bed, where the breaker box is located. I think outside, but who knows, I might think different when I get it.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:22 AM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RS3
State: Illinois
THOR #2847
Compare specs. Progressive Industries is what I chose years ago. Has never let me down. Xantrex Freedom Sequence, I have no clue.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:37 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #3001
We have been using a portable Progressive Industries EMS for 10 years. WE use a cable lock, not because we worry about it being taken, but because the cable takes the strain off of the receptacle. But is does deter those who might have bad thoughts.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:26 AM   #7

THOR #3195
Wow, I ordered the Progressive 50 at noon today and it just came. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow
Old 11-22-2015, 03:24 AM   #8

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
Have you thought about which procedure you will use to install it. Protect you from bad shore power - the normal way or protect you from bad shore power and bad generator power. Both are approved and they will tell you if you just protect from bad shore power you will still be able to use the genset to get you by.
However, my Onan 10kw on previous RV started producing steady overvoltage in the 140-145 range and Progressive Industries would not let it thru, thank heavens. For reasons never explained to me by Cummins/Onan all the safeguards in the genset did not work. If not for Progressive I would have had a much worse problem!
Something to think about!!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:02 AM   #9

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #2162
I used the PI 30 amp for our ACE 30.1. I installed it under the bed, near the breaker box and downstream of the genset so as to get that protection as well. We have used to coach a couple of times since then and the peace of mind is priceless. It was a pretty straightforward install, just follow the instructions. RTFM! Enclosing some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PI1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1083   Click image for larger version

Name:	PI2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1084  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PI3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Meter.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1086  

ipagan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:05 AM   #10

THOR #3195
Thanks for the photos, I decided to install just after the automatic switch. Going for protection from both shore and gen use. If the Progressive unit goes bad, you can use a jumper to bypass until the fix is made.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #11

Model: marimar 34.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #3024
keep us posted when you finish I think I am going to go with progressive it looks like easy install
Old 11-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #12

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Brussam,

What does a cable lock look like and where did you get it. Never thought someone would steal that piece of equipment!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Brussam,

What does a cable lock look like and where did you get it. Never thought someone would steal that piece of equipment!

Doc
Doc,

The one I use looks like this.

Surge Guard Universal Lock Hasp - TRC 34590-001 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

The connection of the 50 amp cable and the surge protector goes inside the box which prevents someone from disconnecting them. Now, if your electrical hook up is on the outside of your coach there's nothing that prevents someone from taking the whole thing. In my case the 50 amp cable connects to the coach inside a locked storage compartment so the only way they can get the this is bust a lock or cut the cable.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #14

THOR #2142
Dave,

The hook-up into the RV is on the outside of the unit. I was looking at the Hasp above and what I am looking for is something that would attach the whole thing to the shore supply box. I may need to do some MacGyverin' here.

Doc

Old 11-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #15

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
Make up your own from cable you can get at any hardware store. I use a 5# hammer as the crimper. Put a loop on the end and run a second cable to something big, axle? Wrap the cable around whatever you are trying to secure 3 times and crimp.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #16

THOR #3001
Old 11-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #17

THOR #2142
now that's secure looking.

Doc