Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Entry Door Window Mod?

I've seen replacement window kits for the entry door, but all are for the older style windows with frames. I am interested in modifying or replacing the frameless window in the entry door of my Windsport.

There is nothing wrong with the current window, except I prefer to be able to see who's outside the door. The frameless window has dark glass on the outside, but an opaque finish on the inside to prevent you from seeing out. It seems that there may be two layers of glass - the outside dark glass and the inside opaque layer. If so, I wonder if I can take the inside pane out somehow so only the outside window pane remains.

Anyone explored this? Inside and Outside views of existing window attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2121.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	4885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2120.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	4886  

Old 05-13-2017, 01:35 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I am curious about this for our 2016 Vegas. I do not know who makes it.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
sorry to say I don't know about that frameless design, but from the looks of it it's just two different pieces of glass. A dark tinted outer and a mottled opaque inner.
I wouldn't be afraid to pull off that inside frame to explore.

I'll bet you'll find something very similar to what I had.
Mine is the old framed glass in the door, but I changed it out. Just a bunch of screws through the plastic inner frame that tightened against the outer frame, sandwiching the glass and door structure.

I pulled it off in a CG while on a trip to see what's what, being careful to not drop the glass out. Took some measurements...length x width x thickness.
Then after I saw the prices for the kits, I called my local glass company and ordered a piece of tinted tempered glass and ordered some butyl tape.

I found the glass not dark enough for my liking so I used some film I had left over from a job on my home years earlier to make it darker.

Now I can see out, and it's very helpful in my 31L to be able to see out while driving too. The glass is too dark to see in during the day, but for night I installed a simple roll shade form Ikea above the door.

I'm very pleased with the result!

Just be careful to not over tighten the screws if your frame is plastic like mine, I found the female threads in the plastic frame to be not up to the challenge of my red-neck torque wrench.... but I was able to fix my mistake easily enough
Old 05-13-2017, 06:14 PM   #4

THOR #908
looking closer at your pictures, I'll bet if you pull those screws out, the outer glass would just push away....not likely to fall because of the sealant (probably butyl tape) but I would have someone pushing in on that glass as you remove the screws.
so what i think you have is
outer frame glued to the outer glass
screws through the inner frame squeezing the inner glass to the door....
Old 05-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Look around here somewhere (maybe the Axis/Vegas mods thread) I'm pretty sure someone already has done this (to a frameless window to boot).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #6

THOR #2154
Thanks for the responses - asked before in another thread but so far haven't had any luck finding someone who has actually done this with the frameless window type. As soon as I can get my helper to hold onto the outer window while I undo the inside screws, I'll report back with the news.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #7

THOR #2154
OK, I took the plunge and removed the window from the door! Removed the inside frame screws, which allowed the outer frame to be pried loose from the main window frame. The entire window assembly then removes from the outside of the door. BTW, definitely need a helper to hold the window on the outside - once the frame comes off the inside the entire window assembly floats inside the opening.

Once removed, I found that there are indeed two window panes. The outer tinted glass (of course) and an inner opaque sheet of either plastic or plexi-glass. Unfortunately, the opaque material is an integral part of the assembly - apparently glued to the frame. There is no way to take either pane away from the rest of the assembly once the factory stamps this thing together.

Possibly, one could cut up the opaque sheet using a hot knife and remove it in pieces. But that is a bold move that I'm not ready for at this time! It might be easier to just replace the whole window with a new clear-view tinted one. I see there is even one that provides an integrated shade (AP Products, Manufacturer Part No : 015-201512).

By the way, the window cutout opening is 22" x 12", with curved corners. Some of the replacement window kits I looked at will require me to cut the opening a little larger.

Pictures of the Windsport entrance door window assembly:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3811.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	4905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3812.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	4906  

Old 05-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #8

THOR #908
hey sorry to hear it's not an easy fix. I hope you find a replacement that works for you.... I really have enjoyed being able to see through ours
Old 05-15-2017, 12:40 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Thanks for doing exploratory surgery. The AP Products with internal shade looks good. We have the frameless but would not care about using frame type in door. I need to be able to see out when driving alone. The window over sink is limited in Vegas.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #10

THOR #2154
I did it! Replaced the stock door window with the frosted inner glass with the new one with see-through tinted glass and the pull down shade (AP Products, Manufacturer Part No : 015-201512). Fantastic! That is... once you finish the installation.

This is just what I was looking for, and it turned out beautiful. But it was one heck of a frustrating process to get there. First off, the original window was smaller so I had to cut the opening in the door larger. I thought that would be a big deal but it really wasn't bad at all. Masked off the area with tape, used the template that comes with the new window, and used a jig saw to cut the opening. Only thing about that is that you end up with shredded foam insulation from the door everywhere, by the way.

The real PITA is getting the outside window frame, window pane, retractable shade, and inner window frame screwed together in the door. There are no instructions supplied, which in hindsight I believe is because the manufacturer knows it's going to be a real pain no matter what process you use!!! The shade is not fastened to the frame at all, as it is held in place only when the inner and outer pieces get screwed together. So you are left holding the glass and the shade mechanism in place while screwing it together. DO NOT TRY THIS ALONE!!! My helper and I finally decided to fasten the upper and lower mechanisms onto the inner frame using black electrical tape along the entire width of the frame to hold it in place. Once installed, you can't see it.

Here are some pictures of the finished product. Love it!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	5048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	5049  

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	5050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	5051  

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	5052  
Old 05-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Wow, fantastic job! Would love to do this on our coach, like you I hate not being able to see out! Where did you order from?
Old 05-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #12

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Outstanding!!! Thanks for the info. I want to do that modification also. When I do my survey I will advise They should put one way glass in there.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #13

THOR #2154
Thanks! I got my window from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty nice price and it came in 2 days. I don't mind the glass being two-way as it is a nice dark tint and unless it's night with the inside lit up you cannot see inside when trying to look in. Matches the other glass in my Windsport nicely, even though it does have a frame.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #14

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
I've seen replacement window kits for the entry door, but all are for the older style windows with frames. I am interested in modifying or replacing the frameless window in the entry door of my Windsport.

There is nothing wrong with the current window, except I prefer to be able to see who's outside the door. The frameless window has dark glass on the outside, but an opaque finish on the inside to prevent you from seeing out. It seems that there may be two layers of glass - the outside dark glass and the inside opaque layer. If so, I wonder if I can take the inside pane out somehow so only the outside window pane remains.

Anyone explored this? Inside and Outside views of existing window attached.
My attack at this would be to remove the window and take it to a glass shop to have the glass replaced with a type that is hard to see into but not out of. Probably would be the cheapest route as well. I know from experience they can shape or round off the corners and smooth the edges on glass so they aren't sharp to deal with.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #15

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
My attack at this would be to remove the window and take it to a glass shop to have the glass replaced with a type that is hard to see into but not out of. Probably would be the cheapest route as well. I know from experience they can shape or round off the corners and smooth the edges on glass so they aren't sharp to deal with.
Well if you are interested, I have the original window and frame in my garage!!! I surely don't need it.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: South Carolina
THOR #7750
So we removed the frosted part of our door glass on 2018 Vegas. It took some time but was well worth it. Ours was held in place by windshield sealant and a foam double sided tape. We're working on other upgrades and will post as we go.
2 Trail Hikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #17

Model: Axis 25.1
State: California
THOR #2792
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Trail Hikers View Post
So we removed the frosted part of our door glass on 2018 Vegas. It took some time but was well worth it. Ours was held in place by windshield sealant and a foam double sided tape. We're working on other upgrades and will post as we go.
2 Trail Hikers. I am interested in doing the same fix. Do you have any details on how you removed the frosted glass? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
I did it! Replaced the stock door window with the frosted inner glass with the new one with see-through tinted glass and the pull down shade (AP Products, Manufacturer Part No : 015-201512). Fantastic! That is... once you finish the installation.

This is just what I was looking for, and it turned out beautiful. But it was one heck of a frustrating process to get there. First off, the original window was smaller so I had to cut the opening in the door larger. I thought that would be a big deal but it really wasn't bad at all. Masked off the area with tape, used the template that comes with the new window, and used a jig saw to cut the opening. Only thing about that is that you end up with shredded foam insulation from the door everywhere, by the way.

The real PITA is getting the outside window frame, window pane, retractable shade, and inner window frame screwed together in the door. There are no instructions supplied, which in hindsight I believe is because the manufacturer knows it's going to be a real pain no matter what process you use!!! The shade is not fastened to the frame at all, as it is held in place only when the inner and outer pieces get screwed together. So you are left holding the glass and the shade mechanism in place while screwing it together. DO NOT TRY THIS ALONE!!! My helper and I finally decided to fasten the upper and lower mechanisms onto the inner frame using black electrical tape along the entire width of the frame to hold it in place. Once installed, you can't see it.

Here are some pictures of the finished product. Love it!!!
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1591627662
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	24132  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 35 M
THOR #6832
My opaque window fell out.

2018 wind sport. Opened door and opaque window fell out and smashed. Just ordered the lippert shade to add to window. Thin shade . Anyone have this problem.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary d View Post
2018 wind sport. Opened door and opaque window fell out and smashed. Just ordered the lippert shade to add to window. Thin shade . Anyone have this problem.
Yep, if memory serves me right, Bob; in the post above yours, had that problem with his Outlaw. Others have had it as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote