Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany
State: Kentucky
THOR #541
Add stackable washer dryer

I just got a 2011 Tuscany and it didn't come with a washer dryer. I saw the new Tuscany has one in the bed room where my closet is. Has any one ever tried to install stackable washer & dryer?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
You probably have heard this before, but, I have never heard of anyone that has been real satisfied/ happy with them.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #3

Model: Tuscany
State: Kentucky
THOR #541
I've heard the washer dryer combo is no good but haven't heard anything about the stackable units.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 38GK
State: Texas
THOR #439
as stated the combo units take forever to dry but others have been ok with the separate units...
Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oklahoma
THOR #540
We've full-timed for 5 years with the combo, and once you get used to it it works fine. You have to realize it will wash more than it will dry, and we usually stop it after the wash and remove some clothes before drying. We also use tennis balls (3) in the drier and it helps keep things from wrinkling. We do like the extra room the combo gives us, but our next new bus will have the two separate units. That way you can wash and dry at the same time. Wouldn't be without them. Steve
Old 12-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #6

Brand: Crossroads
State: Washington
THOR #468
We have a Artiston washer.. GE dryer... picked both up at Home Depot... they are awesome. We were spending $80+ a month at the laundry facilities. That's my payment for my washer/dryer. Plus more free time & not waiting for other people to get out of my way.....we own a Rushmore Jefferson..fulltimers
Gary

[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #547
You cannot expect same drying efficiency using 110V as you get at home with a 220V or gas dryer. The Splendide dryer does a good job considering it only has 110V available. Has some nice features, including reversing tumble action to keep clothes from tangling, etc. We just got out Palazzo couple weeks ago. SWMBO has done one load and was very pleasantly surprised... washer got clothes very clean, and dryer did not take as long as she thought it would - included two large bath towels, and Jeans (both notoriously slow drying).

We had the combo unit in an earlier coach. The stackables do a lot better job!

Also probably a good idea to not being running electric space heaters while dryer is running lest you overload the electrical service.
2014 Thor Tuscany XTE 40GQ
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #674
I did the Whirlpool front load washer with the dryer on top. It works good after I got problems fixed!! The washer was delivered damaged... the control knob had been pushed back into the washer and broke the board. Got that replaced then the dryer was putting pulls in the clothes. the moisture sensor has metal prongs in side the drum but they were not seated in its base so clothes would get behind the metal strips and as it would spin it would catch and put pull in the items. Carried that back to madison Rv where i purchased the coach and took 2 weeks for the Whirlpool repair company to come out and replace. Went Mondays to pick it up and it looked like some one had steel spike shoes on and been dancing on the unit!! It was bad all paint with deep cuts down into the metal!! I was told thats not to bad once its in you want see much of the scratched surface!! I paid them 2000.00 bucks and they damage it and say that crap to me!!! I went to the manager and told him I was not going to take that unit all scratched up!! They had one in box but it had a rub mark on the top but was not damaged like my original one that had had 5 loads dryed in it!! With that said they do work good and the 110 unit will dry heavy loads in 60 min!! Just hope the new dryer works correct!!!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:41 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
Self Servicing our Washer Dryer

OK there does not seem to be much information I have found on servicing the stackable Washer and Dryer in the Thor Motor Homes. The ones on You Tube of different makes have much more room to work with than we have in a Thor MH.

We bought our 2015 Challenger new with the Whirlpool W&D option. We are Full timers and now in our third year and have had no problems with the W&D but I want to remove the dryer to check and clean the lint there may be in the duct as I use to do in our house.

Has anyone here done any maintenance and how did you remove the dryer? I mean I know to remove the screws holding it on top of the Washer, but how did you slide it off? Onto a work table or a two person job?

In the house it was easy just slide it out from the wall but in a Motor Home as we all know it is not that easy. So did you find a work table that allowed you to slide the dryer out onto? Is there sufficient length to the dryer duct to pull it out to work on?

If Thor representatives are reading this please give some insight.

The Motor Home dealer techs we bought ours from, I believe damaged the thermostat on the wall of the Challenger 37LX as it reads a higher temperature than what I get with a digital laser, about 7 degrees higher so I want to see the connection behind the wall and behind the W&D units for possible replacement of the Thermostat.

I say that because when we went to pick up our MH the doors to the the W&D would not fully close so they had to make some adjustments pushing the W&D back more. Now I want to see what is back there and what they did as well. Yes after two years and 3 months.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:53 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If your Tuscany is like ours the hookups are behind a removable panel in the closet so it's mostly all ready to go. I took the advice of someone who had the combo and got the vented machine. You will have to use a holesaw and cut a hole for the vent, use a stud finder so you aren't drilling into wall framing. Took me about an hour start to finish to do the install.