Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Bumper behind DP front cap?

Has anyone built or purchased and installed a bumper behind the front cap on their Thor DP?
It looks like there is plenty of room and places to mount on the Freightliner frame which I think would actually provide some protection to the generator, other critical components and dramatically reduce damage to the front end in the event of an accident.
I'm wondering if there is a factory Freightliner truck bumper which would fit.
Protecting the rear is a whole different problem since the frame is behind the radiator, etc.
Why the RV manufacturers would sacrifice safety & durability for cosmetics is beyond me...
Thoughts?

Old 05-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
RVs don't follow the same 'rules' that you are assuming they should, as cars may have to, since they don't fall under the same regulations. But, your freightliner chassis is certainly 'protecting' you, though you may assume that just because a 'bumper'(old school) is not evident, you don't have any - you are sitting way above any contact with any 'bumper' you may have, so 'safety' may not be actually what you are referring to - damage to your generator may be.
I would say though, that there is also plenty of 'room' before the generator would be impacted, unless a high impact, in which case it's certain that damage would occur anyway.

I don't know that a 'bumper' is really any answer - if you don't follow too closely and maintain your brakes, you'll be 'safer' than most anything a vehicle manufacturer can give you, especially since most accidents are front-end damage by a vehicle not stopping in time.

The frame rails of the chassis extends quite well into the front-end cavity, and are actually already providing protection.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If nearing an accident...just jump up and run to the back.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:42 PM   #4

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Let me rephrase...
Has anyone added supplemental bumpers to their DP RV''s and if so how (home built or identified a bolt in/on solution), and if so please share details.
Thanks