Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2019, 02:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Finally caught the WFCO 8955 in BULK mode!

After three years of monitoring the WFCO converter in our 2016 VEGAS I finally caught the unit going into BULK/EQUALIZE mode (14.4-14.6 volts)...

I have watched ABSORBTION/NORMAL MODE of 13.6 volts, FLOAT MODE of 13.1-13.2, which has occurred as it should. But never had seen the unit go to BULK mode until yesterday.

Bad thing, not sure why it did that. Batteries were right at fully charged and the unit was in FLOAT mode (13.1-13.2 volts) right before I noticed it...

Am getting ready to add two more batteries to the house bank, so glad this happened now so I wouldn't be thinking the new batteries caused it. Just happy that the 8955 REALLY DOES have a BULK MODE.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5745
How are you testing

Mo_Mike....I have the same power controller, how are you testing for mode changes? I would like to verify if mine is truly changing modes. Are you just using a voltmeter across the circuit at your batteries?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Congrates! That was another reason I replaced my OEM converter with the PD converter. Every time I tested it it was around 13.4 - 13.6. I was afraid I was going to cook my new AGM's so I would only plug it in for one day about once a month while in storage.

Not to mention if they needed to be charged quickly I didnt have any faith they would.

Perhaps they went into "equalization mode" for you? How long where they on charge? I think the PD says their converter goes into a short "15 minute" equalization mode every 21 hours. Not sure how the WFCO is programed.

I used a mutli meter at the batteries to test mine randomly.

Perhaps my OEM converter was fine (its my "backup now") but I didnt want to risk it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You've got a real good eye for details: congratulations!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:25 AM   #5

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Congrates! That was another reason I replaced my OEM converter with the PD converter. Every time I tested it it was around 13.4 - 13.6. I was afraid I was going to cook my new AGM's so I would only plug it in for one day about once a month while in storage.

Not to mention if they needed to be charged quickly I didnt have any faith they would.

Perhaps they went into "equalization mode" for you? How long where they on charge? I think the PD says their converter goes into a short "15 minute" equalization mode every 21 hours. Not sure how the WFCO is programed.

I used a mutli meter at the batteries to test mine randomly.

Perhaps my OEM converter was fine (its my "backup now") but I didnt want to risk it.
It was up for the "four hours" that WFCO lists in their "THEORY OF OPERATION" (and yes, I watched the last few minutes just to make sure it went back to normal )
Old 05-20-2019, 02:28 AM   #6

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal View Post
Mo_Mike....I have the same power controller, how are you testing for mode changes? I would like to verify if mine is truly changing modes. Are you just using a voltmeter across the circuit at your batteries?
I have a "dual" voltage meter in the dash that monitors the CHASSIS and COACH voltages...

Wouldn't be without it. I can sit there and see what voltages the CONVERTER is sending out, along with what voltages the batteries are at when on battery power.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I have a "dual" voltage meter in the dash that monitors the CHASSIS and COACH voltages...

Wouldn't be without it. I can sit there and see what voltages the CONVERTER is sending out, along with what voltages the batteries are at when on battery power.
Yep, this is one of my next mods. I already have the meters waiting in a box for me (I will install next to entry Door). I also have a AC monitor that I will install above the fuse box under the bed (along with a 2nd DC monitor so they are next to each other).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #8

THOR #4687
Here is what I have rigged on my dash.

The top is COACH, the bottom is CHASSIS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180307_180117.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	17534  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Here is what I have rigged on my dash.

The top is COACH, the bottom is CHASSIS
hey, that's the exact same meter I recently bought! I haven't installed mine yet. Not sure where I'm going to put it...but I'm planning on putting a momentary switch on the circuit so it's not always on and burning power....

I am a bit concerned about it though...did a little "bench testing" with it when it first arrived just to verify it works...with both reads connected to the same battery, I get a different number top and bottom.... just off a few tenths, but I find that aggravating. How is yours?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #10

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
hey, that's the exact same meter I recently bought! I haven't installed mine yet. Not sure where I'm going to put it...but I'm planning on putting a momentary switch on the circuit so it's not always on and burning power....

I am a bit concerned about it though...did a little "bench testing" with it when it first arrived just to verify it works...with both reads connected to the same battery, I get a different number top and bottom.... just off a few tenths, but I find that aggravating. How is yours?
Since mine are on two 'separate" circuits, I have always explained the difference to the batteries or loads on the individual circuits. For the most part, when the TROMBETTA RELAY is engaged and the charging source is engaged on both circuits with little to no loads, the readings on mine are basically the same...

But, definitely close enough to gauge the readings of the charging devices (alternator or converter), and the level of charge of the batteries. Also is handy to know when the TROMBETTA REALY is engaged or open. (Better than listening for a "click" from the engine compartment)
Old 05-22-2019, 02:28 AM   #11

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
. . .snip
Also is handy to know when the TROMBETTA REALY is engaged or open. (Better than listening for a "click" from the engine compartment)
Did you connect directly to Trombetta?
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #12

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Did you connect directly to Trombetta?

No, I connected to the chassis power and coach power feeds that were already in the dash area
Old 05-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #13

THOR #4687
OK, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but thought it might make sense to someone else out there...

It seems that after I replaced the OEM flooded batteries with new AGM 12v batteries that the WFCO 8955 is working just as it should. It is going into 14.6 BULK and equalization mode, normal 13.6v absorption and 13.1v float.

With the OEM batteries I NEVER saw the converter go into EQUALIZATION, now it is going into this mode as it should....
Old 05-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
OK, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but thought it might make sense to someone else out there...

It seems that after I replaced the OEM flooded batteries with new AGM 12v batteries that the WFCO 8955 is working just as it should. It is going into 14.6 BULK and equalization mode, normal 13.6v absorption and 13.1v float.

With the OEM batteries I NEVER saw the converter go into EQUALIZATION, now it is going into this mode as it should....
Sure it does: The OEM batteries were junk and would never "charge up" enough (e.g. get a high enough voltage with a high enough resistance) to trigger eq.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #15

THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Sure it does: The OEM batteries were junk and would never "charge up" enough (e.g. get a high enough voltage with a high enough resistance) to trigger eq.
Thanks JAMIE, that makes perfect sense!

Also makes me feel better for doing the upgrade... I was "kind of" second guessing myself since the OEMs still were showing 12.7v when I sent them on their way.

Tags
bulk, wfco 8955