Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Florida
THOR #4067
Tire and rim upgrade

Has anyone upgraded thier rims to aluminum and increased the tire size from 19 to 22 inch. Any advice would be great. Thanks. (Thor hurricane 35c)

Old 05-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
Considering that your rims support not only the static weight on your coach but also the shock loading, (think potholes, railroad tracks), I would give this some serious second thoughts. Promises from people trying to sell aluminum rims notwithstanding, I believe you would find that steel has more strength and more elasticity than aluminum.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 05-21-2017, 02:24 AM   #3

THOR #4067
Thanks for the reply but getting rid of the 19 inch rims is my main priority. I recently had the opportunity to drive a coach with 22 inch rims and it was night and day difference.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:30 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
I offered no opinion on the rim size, only the comparative material strength between steel and aluminum.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 05-21-2017, 02:43 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
We had aluminum rims on our Tuscany which weighed a lot more than a Hurricane. You run in to several problems trying to switch to 22" wheels and tires. Wheel well size, bolt pattern, increased unsprung weight, and the real biggy, overall gearing and road speed.

You would not gain anything by changing wheel size and it would be very expensive even if you could find wheels that would fit.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:58 AM   #6

State: California
THOR #6924
My 2015 Outlaw came with 22" Alcoa Rims.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

THOR #4067
Thanks all for the input. Forgot about wheel well. And good info on rims. I just see so many rvs and big rigs woth aluminum rims thought it would save weight.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I've never weighed either combination but know the 22" would be considerably more. Also, aluminum rims weigh a lot more than you would thing, material has to be thicker than steel to carry the same weight. It was a good thought though!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnash View Post
Thanks all for the input. Forgot about wheel well. And good info on rims. I just see so many rvs and big rigs woth aluminum rims thought it would save weight.
Aluminum rims, particularly when forged rather than cast, typically do weigh less than same-size steel. I think you're right on that.

Another problem you could encounter is with tires hitting chassis at full wheel lock. Notice in Ford specs that all chassis do not have same amount of front wheel cut.

I think the fallacy in your argument is assuming the difference between how the two coaches drove was due to wheel size. Unless they were otherwise identical coaches, the way they drove could have been different for a million reasons.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
There have been a few studies done by motorhome technical sources that have compared the ride of 19.5 and 22 inch wheels and tires on the smae chassis and determined the 22 inch will provide a smoother ride although the difference may be minimal.

The 22 alum wheels are my coach are stamped Ford.

If you look at the F53 specs I believe until you get to a certain GVWR the 19.5 is standard with the 22 being an option.

Your issue will be the wheel wells on your coach and whether or not they are large enough to handle the 22 inch wheels and tires.

Another item to consider is if the increased height due to increased tire size will require an adjustment to the mounting of your leveling jacks. You would need to determine if there are other downstream impacts to a larger wheel and tire change.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:17 AM   #11

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
You might find this interesting.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/P...h19.5_22.5.pdf
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote